Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Topic: Chip-tionary

Images

Chip-tionary

While in Eastbourne this week, I was waiting for the OH sitting in the lounge and picked up a Sun newspaper which had been left, and found this article which I thought some might find amusing.

THE CHIP-TIONARY
    Bechdon - the Welsh and scousers will have their chips in one of these.
    Chippy Tea - common description in Manchester for chip dishes as made famous by the Lancashire Hot Pots.
    Chippy sauce - Vinegar and brown sauce served with chips in Scotland.
    Dab - Potato slice in batter...found across Lancashire.
    Fish Lot -In Scotland and the North East it's fish, chips and mushy peas.
    Fritters - any food coated in batter.Could be potato, apple, pineapple or even spam.
    Fish Bits - exactly what it sounds like....the left over bits of fish.
    Pattie - sausagemeat with potato on top, cooked in batter, found in Birmingham.
    Rissole - rissoles sold in chip shops in South Wales and the North East of England contain meat, in Yorkshire these are fishcakes containing a large slice of potatoe.
    Scallops - Slice of potatoe cooked in batter. Found in Liverpool, Manchester and Sheffield.
    XX Supper - meaning chips served with another chip shop dish eg chip supper, pie supper, sausage supper. Common in Glasgow, Aberdeen and other Scottish cities where of coarse you can get Haggis supper.
    Snozzup - Short for sausage and chip supper (Glasgow).
    Snag and chips - Short for sausage and chips (Portsmouth).
    Sottonsauce - Chips with salt and sauce served in Scottish chippies.
    Scratchings - bits of left over batter.
    Scrap - bits of left over batter but in Sheffield or Leeds.
    Tatties, spuds, taters, tetties, teddies, potties, tatoes tatws - all names for potatoes depending on where you live.
    White pudding supper - a savoury oatmeal sausage, served with chips in Aberdeen.
    Yorkshire fishcake - not your standard fishcake. This comes complete with a large slice of potatoe instead.

Hope you find this as amusing as I did - any more that have been missed?

Cruisings Cool

MarieC, Troon Guest
    :D:DLove the Chiptionary, although I must admit to never seeing some of the Scottish entries in our local chippy.

Chip Sauce - Vineger & brown sauce is most of an East of Scotland delicacy not as popular here in the West.

Sottonsauce - again, mostly East coast. 'Saulnvingr', that's what you're more likely to be offered round here.

Snozzup - Never heard of it. Again, could be regional. Just a plain sausage supper hereabouts.

Fish Lot - We have our mushy peas in a separate carton, definitely never in the the fish&chips!

XXSupper - we'd just call that a greedy pig's dinner.

I'm sure other Scots will contribute and I'll stand corrected if I'm wrong.

Last edited by MarieC, Troon; 20th February 2010 at 01:30 PM.

Images
    Agree with you MarieC never heard of a lot of the Scottish entries. the ones I have are as you say local to the East Coast. I enjoy 'eating in' a fish restaurant and having a 'fish tea'.........but for me without the tea, I don't like tea! a fish tea is a plate of fish, chips, peas (before they get mushy), bread and butter and a pot of tea. yummmm :D
    we also buy a 'poke' of chips. we call potatoes totties. we also call fish and chips, pie and chips etc 'suppers'.
    the East coast have salt and sauce, we on the west coast prefer sailt and vinegar at the chippy.

Last edited by Issyalex, Glasgow; 20th February 2010 at 03:52 PM.
    don't want to work, just want to cruise.

MarieC, Troon Guest
    My mouth is watering Issy. Need a fish supper tonight now, bread and butter but it has to be with a cup of tea for me.

Images
    Quote QUOTE: View Post
    My mouth is watering Issy. Need a fish supper tonight now, bread and butter but it has to be with a cup of tea for me.
    It's made my mouth water too! I had already planned cooking Fish and Chips tonight. Bread and butter and the only time we have a cup of tea. Coffee all the time normally. When we go to the chippy I always ask for scraps as well. A great british tradition? You bet! Carol :D

MarieC, Troon Guest
    Just had to have a fish supper last night after all this chat. On the menu at our chippy:

Spam fritters!
    Chips & curry sauce
    Chips & cheese

Images
    It's made my mouth water too! I had already planned cooking Fish and Chips tonight. Bread and butter and the only time we have a cup of tea. Coffee all the time normally. When we go to the chippy I always ask for scraps as well. A great british tradition? You bet! Carol :D
    is scraps the crispy chips.......I love them yum

don't want to work, just want to cruise.

Are you SURE you were in Eastbourne? I thought that we had only the Daily Mail and Telegraph in this town!

Images
    Are you SURE you were in Eastbourne? I thought that we had only the Daily Mail and Telegraph in this town!
    ------------------------------------------------------------------
    Yep, sure was Brian. Well at least sombody had 'The Sun' cos I never had a glimpse of any while I was there. Must have been a day tripper brought it in, some people.

Last edited by Barrowman, Bedford; 25th February 2010 at 11:19 PM.

Cruisings Cool

Images
    is scraps the crispy chips.......I love them yum
    -------------------------------------------------------------------
    Afraid not Issy - they are the bits of crispy batter that has fallen off the fish, still yummy though.

Cruisings Cool

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast