Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Topic: Books

I saw him live and he is hilarious.

Images
    Quote QUOTE: View Post
    I think Malcolm is teasing...
    Teasing? What's better than reading a book about ships on board a ship?

For those interested in ships and their history the three books above are all very good. The QM2 book is more a collection of images of this wonderful vessel.

John Maxtone Graham is an excellent maritime lecturer who often lectures on board ships. Bill Miller (another maritime author) is excellent too. You may see them on board Cunard vessels and others?

Last edited by Malcolm, Essex; 5th August 2011 at 03:13 PM.

Quote QUOTE: View Post
    Found just the book to keep me amused on my cruise (7th August) Gervase Phinn's Out of the Woods but not Over the Hill
    He was the local School inspector for my childrens school and always attended the end of year prize giving-a really genuine man as well as being very very funny.

Hi all,
    I recently read a great book which I recommend for holiday reading,
    'The Chatham School Affair'' - Thomas H Cook
    I wasn't very well at the time and sometimes when you're like that you cant concentrate but this book was so gripping, it really helped pass the time. I'm reading a biography of Elizabeth Taylor at the moment and it seems to me the author really didn't like her at all as he doesn't seem to have a good word to say about her - everything is laced with sarcasm.

How can I choose just one book, my house is full of them; life would not be the same without them. But....my son bought us a kindle for Christmas so that the suitcases wouldn't weigh so heavy when we went on holiday. I think the kindle is wonderful! Think of a book, shop in the kindle store and 2 minutes later it's there, ready to be read. Trouble is it is so easy to buy books you don't notice now much you are spending. I agree that a "real" book can never be replaced but kindle was made for cruising. I am so looking forward to sitting on deck with the sun on my back and the kindle in my hands. Now what shall I choose? Daphne du Maurier - my all time favourite or Kate Morton whose plots and descriptions are fresh and new. Or will I get the chance? My husband, a lifelong technophobe, has taken to kindle like a duck to water and I don't really get a look in. For him it will be Lee Child or David Baldacci or an old Wilbur Smith. I never needed an excuse to cruise but now that we have a kindle I need more cruises to give me time to read. Perhaps I will read Wuthering Heights again or Jane Austen or what about the next book in the Game of Thrones series. It is a truth universally acknowledged that a dedicated cruiser in possession of a lifetime's collection of books is in need of a kindle.(with apologies to Jane Austen).

Images
    Hi Hillbilly,

Your enthusiasm for reading is infectious! However, I took a couple of books on our cruise to the Fjords recently & did not read them! Too many activities, too many ports and too much relaxation!

Next time maybe!

Lizzie.

Lizzie

Images
    I agree Malcolm, I have met John Maxtone Graham, twice on Cunard and Celebrity and his lectures were fascinating, the theatre was always full, a stickler for detail always well prepared, I have read 'the only way to cross' he also wrote two others.
    Do you know if he is still on the circuit lecturing as this was a while ago.
    Also met Bill Miller another good lecturer on sips.CG

Last edited by cornish girl, falmouth; 5th August 2011 at 11:03 PM.

Read the first of your recommendations Malcolm.

Tried to get a copy today in Waterstones for a friend and they could not source it!!!

Images
    Hi Diva , You can still get them in the library in the Maritime section , if that is any help.CG

I'm another one whose house is furnished mainly by books...
    We've recently discovered the American writer, James Michener- very similar to Edward Rutherfurd, who wrote London, Sarum etc.
    His books are thick....and cover an area from prehistoric times to the present day- or his day as he's dead now. After reading "Centennial", about Colorado, we've bought several more ....I'm in "Chesapeake" now, and G's reading "The Covenant" about South Africa.
    I've learnt more about the conquering of America from these 2 books than in all my long years of enjoying history....a good historical novel fleshes things out, and you can live the life....
    Jo.

Last edited by Jocap, Cumbria; 15th January 2013 at 09:26 PM.

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast