Cheapest way to sail from Southampton to New York or Florida

Hi there
    I'm sending myself loopy Googling this.
    One of my Google searches sent me here so I thought I'd register and ask you guys.
    Me and my partner want the cheapest, no thrills way to get from the UK to either New York or Florida.
    Am I right in thinking that a cruise always include a round trip or is it possible for one way only?
    We want a ferry type crossing with basic cabin, no on board entertainment that kind of thing.
    Is this possible?
    I appreciate any help and advice and apologies if this isn't the right place to ask.

The only "ferry" running transatlantic on a regular basis is Cunard QM2. Yes you can book a one way journey.
    Brian

Independence of the Seas - Southampton to Florida, 22 November to 5 December one way only - £481 each for the cheapest inside cabin. Sorry but it's not "no frills" have a look at RCI website it's got the lot. I'd be interested to hear of anything cheaper.

These cruises are a one-off each year to reposition from Europe to the Caribbean so it may not fit in with your schedule. If it does, try the consultants on this site as they may get you a further discount.

Images
    Quote QUOTE: View Post
    The only "ferry" running transatlantic on a regular basis is Cunard QM2. Yes you can book a one way journey.
    Brian
    There is no such thing as 'No Frills'' crossing by ship to America, although some ships are cheaper than others. An inside cabin is always the cheapest option.

Regular cruise ships on tend to cross the pond to America in September/October-ish. They often take a two week route.

The Queen Mary 2 is the only ship to regularly cross to NY. The QM2 is far from 'No Frills' and offers a wonderful 6-7 night Transatlantic experiece to NY.

At times for a fare of £699 pp. (inc. return flight) is offered which excellent value given the on-board experience offered.

However whatever ship you take, you will of course need to budget fo ryour on-board spend (drinks etc.)

Contact: cruise.co.uk for a price (with or without return flight).

(Flying is still normally the cheapest/fastest way to America)

Last edited by Malcolm, Essex; 25th January 2012 at 10:01 AM.

You don't need a cruise ship a Cargo ship is the answer see here . Cargo Ships Carrying Passengers

]

Images
    The cheapest way across is on a repositioning cruise, but you've missed those for this year. I assume there's a reason for not flying. Judith

Wow guys!
    Thanks for all your wonderful replies - they've certainly given me some options to look into.
    Those cargo trips aren't cheap though are they!
    Surprisingly enough, the flights I've researched (LOTS) work out roughly the same price for one way. Flights are cheaper if you buy a return which we are not wanting to do.
    And we really like the idea of chilling out whilst we travel, less hectic than flying.