Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

early warning for Caribbean 2013

Each year we like to have a Caribbean cruise to avoid the worst of the UK weather. However when looking at the option for 2013 we find that there is only one ship using Barbados as the transfer port. This is the Ventura and even she is only doing two 7 day cruises. P&O are marketing it as a 14 day cruise but after 7 days she returns to Barbados where approx 1500 passengers will be disembarking/arriving. This means there will be disruption halfway through the 14 day cruise.
    Furthermore Princess have withdrawn the Sea Princess and we understand that Fred Olsen are withdrawing the Braemar from Barbados.
    So this will only leave the option of flying to Miami/Ft. Lauderdale (with the lousy USA immigration to contend with) and the longer flight time from the UK.
    Barbados was ideal with only 8 hrs flight and a really good transfer from the Airport to the ship.
    So it seems that P&O are going to lose a number of customers who, like us, look forward to the usual Caribbean winter.

Images
    I know what you mean. We cruised on Ventura last winter and the one before and we have noticed the new schedules for 2012/2013 too. I suspect that Ventura will no longer be able to travel as far in future due to the fact that she has to return to Barbados after a week. What a shame! I'm also wondering if it will change the atmosphere on board as there will be an overlap of passengers from one week to the next. I guess that only time will tell.

Hi I have for the last six years had a mid winter cruise (5 times Caribbean, 1 Canaries), I will still cruise the Caribbean at this time, if the "British" cruiselines don't cruise where I want to sail, I'll chose a different cruiseline! I still work, so longer duration cruises are of little interest to me, I really don't want to "waste" the four days sailing to and from the UK due to cold weather. If a high percentage of UK passengers avoid the "European Cruises" offered by P&O and Fred Olsen et al. they will quickly redeploy their ships back to the Caribbean for the winter season.

Images
    Quote QUOTE: View Post
    If a high percentage of UK passengers avoid the "European Cruises" offered by P&O and Fred Olsen et al. they will quickly redeploy their ships back to the Caribbean for the winter season.
    I really hope that it proves to be the case, Alan and P&O have to change their minds. Really I do.
    Best Wishes

There is no disruption on the middle day in Barbados, or there should not be. If you are on a 14 nighter you just treat the home port as another destination and I suspect P&O will also run excursions. You will still get to visit 10 different islands and get as far north as tortola. Thomson have been doing 2 different 7 night cruises from La Romana and the system works well. Next winter they are changing the home port to Barbados.

Images
    Just as a matter of interest.... would they expect passengers to attend the muster drill twice, or not?

Don't see the problem really, as long as you don't have to change cabin, it will be good as well as you will be able to see Barbados for the day rather than being taken to the airport and not seeing any of it. Mind you we loved the Transatlantic, a few relaxing days at sea, then a few ports in the caribbean, yes the weather was great, but wasn't that keen on the Islands, seemed like once youv'e seen one youv'e seen them all, as for St lucia have wanted to go there for years, was shocked, wasn't like i Expected it..... But to get away from the cold of Britain then the Caribbean is great for our winter...

On Sea Princess, 2006, passengers embarked at both Fort Lauderdale and Barbados, and this caused no problems with overlap, even though the B. pax remained on board until their afternoon flight time. Most remaining pax were off on tours or swimming somewhere.
    Boarding at FL made us decide never to sail from the USA again.....especially the disembarking.
    Jo.

Images
    Up until last year we had done sixteen winter cruises in the caribbean and our favourite departure point was always Barbados. Over the last few years our choice has been greatly reduced :-(

Have you thought about San Juan ? Virgin do a flight on a Saturday via Antigua which is nine hours or you can fly via Miami. Or just sail out of Miami for lots of choice and tolerable weather.

Quote QUOTE: View Post
    Just as a matter of interest.... would they expect passengers to attend the muster drill twice, or not?
    No. Not when we did a world cruise, we only were expected to attend once. Passengers who joined a sector, even if they were on board for 2 sectors, the same applied, muster only at first embarkation.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast