Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

BA Unite Strike

Anyone have any experience of what happens if your princess flight package is affected by air strike, do you take what flight you can and hope to catch up with the ship ?, do you get full refund from princess ? Just thinking ahead hopefully it wont happen but we are due to sail mid march when the strike is planned

If you have booked the complete package through Princess then it is their responsiblity to get you there using alternative flights where possible, although this may involve a roundabout routing taking longer. If all else fails and they cant get you there then you should get a full refund.
    If you, or your travel agent, have booked your flights separately, then you are on your own.
    Brian

Last edited by Ingle, Warwickshire; 15th February 2010 at 04:43 PM.

I am also travelling with BA mid march, I have booked the whole package with Costa through a T/A I asked about what happens if there is a strike when booking and I was told that it is Costa,s responsibiltiy to get you to the ship if you book the whole package.
    Fingers crossed that they wont strike, its Easter holiday time so will not do BA,s image much good if they strike.

Cancelled Flights

We were on a Virgin Atlantic flight in Jan - just after all the cancellations due to snow and commented at check in that at least flying with Virgin on a Virgin Cruise package we should be OK if the flight was cancelled - to be told that they are completely separate companies and it would have been up to us to find another flight - cruise or no cruise!

OH my god i do hope you are wrong, i fly from heathrow on the first of march for a princess cruise south america, we booked with travel agent and the flights with ba are a cruise flight with princess, this has cost us over 3k each i am now very concerned.

Images
    Quote QUOTE: View Post
    OH my god i do hope you are wrong, i fly from heathrow on the first of march for a princess cruise south america, we booked with travel agent and the flights with ba are a cruise flight with princess, this has cost us over 3k each i am now very concerned.
    Sue, I wouldn't touch BA with a barge pole at the moment because the staff are on strike alert. Having said that, IF they vote on strike action, they are thinking of hitting the peak travelling time, Easter, so you'll be OK getting out to your destination.

Any holiday booked as a "package" through one company, which includes two or more elements, ie transport & accommodation, transport & cruise etc, comes under The Package Travel, Package Holidays and Package Tours Regulations 1992, as and such they are responsible for looking after you. The worst case scenario is that if they fail to deliver the air package, they will responsible for refunding the total cost of the holiday and may be liable for compensation.
    Brian

We were on a Virgin Atlantic flight in Jan - just after all the cancellations due to snow and commented at check in that at least flying with Virgin on a Virgin Cruise package we should be OK if the flight was cancelled - to be told that they are completely separate companies and it would have been up to us to find another flight - cruise or no cruise!
    Virgin Atlantic and Virgin Cruises may be separate companies - but that is not the point. It doesn't matter whether the flight is with Virgin Atlantic, British Airways or Micky Mouse Airlines. If you book a complete package that includes an international flight plus at least one other element (such as car hire, overseas hotel accommodation, or a cruise), then the tour operator that arranges the package must:

a) hold an ATOL licence, to protect consumers against insolvency and
    b) abide by the Package Tour Regulations.

Under the Package Tour Regulations, the tour organiser is responsible for the proper performance of all elements of the package. It doesn't matter whether a delay or other problem is caused by circumstances beyond the airline's control. If your outbound flight is delayed by bad weather, the company must arrange hotel accommodation and an alternative transfer to the ship.

If an airline fails or goes on strike, the tour organiser must make alternative travel arrangements. If that proves impossible, the organiser must refund everything you have paid.

And that is where the ATOL protection is important, because if you do not receive a refund, you can claim against the company's ATOL bond.

18 months ago, I had booked an inclusive cruise package with Princess Cruises. Our outbound flight to New York was with American Airlines and for the return journey from Quebec, Princess had booked us on a charter flight with Zoom. Zoom went bust six weeks prior to the cruise, so Princess had no alternative but to re-book all British passengers onto British Airways or Air Canada scheduled flights from Montreal - at the company's expense.

But as other people have said, if you book a cruise and flights as separate transactions, you have no protection if anything goes wrong with either part.

Don't worry. If your travel agent has booked the cruise and flight as a complete package through Princess Cruises, then Princess are responsible for getting you to the ship and back to the UK at the end of the cruise.

If they can't get you to the ship, they must refund everything you have paid.

That said, I cannot understand why Princess and other cruise lines contimue to use BA, because on most routes, there are alternatives. Princess Cruises, which are part of Carnival plc / Carnival inc, have enormous purchasing power and negotiate special fares with all of the major airlines. Perhaps BA are the cheapest ?

We too fly out on Mar 22nd & I asked our TA what would happen if BA strike, she said Princess would arrange alternate flights with other airlines & not to worry as they would definately arrange a suitable flight for us. I asked her to note that as we are now retired we could travel a day or so earlier if necessary as I have visions of hundreds of cruise passengers all looking for alternate flights if this strike happens. She doesn`t think they would ask us to do so but has made a note anyway. I would be quite happy to change carrier as our last flight with BA to USA was a disgrace, after drinks & meal no staff came near for almost 8 hours. If we wanted a drink or anything we had to go to galley & ask for it.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast