Another airline bites the dust!

Another casuaty of the recession Malev Hungarian goes bankrupt.

Last week it was Spanair

Their homepage www.malev.com states the following

Dear Passengers

Concerning your travel, we suggest that you ask other airlines about their offers or, if possible, you choose an alternative method of transport.

As a consequence of the closure of scheduled Malév flights, you should proceed as follows in order to assert rights set down in Government Decree 5/2012.(I.31) (download available in edition 11 of Magyar Közlöny – 31 January 2012, available at [FONT=Times New Roman]http://www.magyarkozlony.hu/[/FONT]):

- If you fall under the provisions of Paragraph 2 (1) of Government Decree 5/2012. (I.31)
    - that is, you purchased a ticket prior to closure of operations; and
    - your ticket is for a flight between 3-6 February 2012, or you travelled out on the day of closure or prior to this, and you hold a valid ticket for a Malév scheduled flight operating with a Malév flight number, with the return date until 29 February 2012;
    -

please send your claim for refund of costs to malev@malev.com or to the following address: 1476 Budapest, Postafiók 79. Please attach to the claim copies of all documents relevant to the travel since we are only able to assess the claim when in possession of these documents. You should ensure that all original documents are kept safe.

- You should proceed as follows in order to obtain a refund of the cost of the airfare:

- if you paid by bank card or through PayPal (online, travel agency, Malév ticketing office), we suggest that you contact your bank to ask about the refund options;
    - if you purchased your ticket in a travel agency for cash or by bank transfer, you should submit your refund claim to the travel agency by 2 March;
    - if you purchased a package holiday including the air ticket in a travel agency, please speak to the travel agency about a refund;
    - if you purchased your air ticket in a Malév office, for cash or by bank transfer, please submit your refund claim to malev@malev.com or to the following address:1476 Budapest, Postafiók 79. A decision on reimbursement of claims is expected to be handled within the impending bankruptcy procedure and in compliance with the provisions of effective laws;
    - in the case of tickets issued for Malév flights by any other airline, please approach the airline that sold the ticket;
    - if you paid for taxes and charges on a Malév frequent flyer ticket by bank card, we suggest that you contact your bank to ask about the refund options;
    - if you paid for taxes and charges on a Malév frequent flyer ticket by bank transfer, please submit your refund claim to malev@malev.com or to the following address: 1476 Budapest, Postafiók 79. A decision on reimbursement of claims is expected to be handled within the impending bankruptcy procedure and in compliance with the provisions of effective laws;
    - if you purchased a ticket for another airline using Malév frequent flyer points, please approach the airline in question;
    - if you are travelling on a Malév air ticket issued for the flight of another airline, please submit your refund claim to malev@malev.com or to the following address: 1476 Budapest, Postafiók 79. A decision on reimbursement of claims is expected to be handled within the impending bankruptcy procedure and in compliance with the provisions of effective laws;

If you have any further questions, please call the Malév Contact Center.

- From Hungary: 06-40-21-21-21
    - Abroad: +36-1-802-11-11

Malév Hungarian Airlines

It appears that joining an alliance is not the answer Spanair (StarAlliance) and Malev (OneWorld).

Given the cruiselines tendency for booking cheap and often non-direct flights are you booked on Malev to meet your next cruise - likely if you are embarking in Athens, Istanbul or Limassol - or perhaps Budapest is the start / end point of your Danube cruise!

If you are booked as part of a package, how are the cruise line / travel agent dealing with finding alternative flights for you?

Worse still are you one of those persons stranded abroad?

Well nature abhorrs a vacuum!

Well don't you to love to hate him!

Ryanair to Open Budapest Base in Two Weeks With 31 New Routes, 2M…

Ryanair to Open Budapest Base in Two Weeks With 31 New Routes, 2M PAX P.A., SAVING UP TO 2,000 JOBS FOLLOWING MALEV’S CLOSURE RYANAIR FARES START FROM €9.99/HUF2,000 FROM 17 FEBRUARY

RYANAIR MEETING WITH HUNGARIAN GOVERNMENT AND
    BUDAPEST AIRPORT TODAY TO FINALISE RESCUE PLAN

Ryanair, the world’s favourite airline today (3rd Feb) at a press conference in Budapest announced its intention to launch a rescue plan for Budapest and Hungarian tourism following the grounding of Malev airline last evening. Ryanair confirmed that it will base 4 brand new Boeing 737-800 series aircraft at Budapest Airport commencing in just two weeks time on Friday 17th February where it will open 31 new routes, offering lower fares (€9.99/HUF2,999) than any other airline, and delivering up to 2m passengers p.a., replacing most of the traffic and routes lost by Budapest following last night’s grounding of Malev.

Ryanair, which currently employs over 700 Hungarian pilots and cabin crew, will be holding an open recruitment day in Budapest on Tuesday next (7th Feb), inviting job applications from Malev pilots, cabin crew and engineers to help Ryanair gear up for this 4 aircraft, 2m passenger p.a. base at Budapest Airport. The International Airport Council figures confirm that this 2m pax p.a. will support 2,000 jobs at Budapest Airport.

This largest ever investment in Hungarian aviation and tourism is subject to reaching final agreement with Budapest Airport today on costs, facilities and handling, and Ryanair’s Deputy CEO Michael Cawley has travelled to Budapest to finalise these negotiations with Budapest Airport and the Hungarian Government. Because Ryanair has grounded up to 80 aircraft this winter, it has the capacity to respond immediately to the Malev grounding by moving aircraft, pilots and crews to Budapest within two weeks, in order to minimise the disruption to Hungarian consumers/visitors and tourism as a result of the Malev closure.

Ryanair’s new Budapest base will start on Friday 17th February at fares from €9.99/HUF2,999 and these 31 new routes go on sale at these HUF2,999/€9.99 fares on Cheap Flights - Book cheap flights to Europe with Ryanair
    today.

Ryanair’s 31 new routes to/from Budapest from 17 Feb

Routes Starts From € Routes Starts From €
    Alicante APR 49.99 Manchester FEB 9.99
    Baden Baden FEB 9.99 Munich West FEB 9.99
    Barcelona FEB 9.99 Milan (BGY) FEB 9.99
    Birmingham MAR 29.99 Warsaw (Modlin) JUL 29.99
    Bologna MAR 9.99 Oslo FEB 9.99
    Bristol MAR 29.99 Palma APR 49.99
    Brussels (CRL) FEB 9.99 Paphos APR 49.99
    Chania APR 49.99 Paris FEB 9.99
    Dublin FEB 9.99 Pisa APR 49.99
    Eindhoven APR 29.99 Rhodes APR 49.99
    Gottenburg FEB 9.99 Rome (CIA) FEB 9.99
    Hamburg (LBC) FEB 9.99 Stockholm (NYO) FEB 9.99
    Krakow FEB 9.99 Thessaloniki FEB 9.99
    London (STN) FEB 9.99 Trapani APR 49.99
    Madrid FEB 9.99 Venice( TSF) APR 29.99
    Malaga APR 49.99

Images
    Malév Hungarian Airlines

Never heard of this airline, therefore I wouldn't have been flying with them.

[QUOTE=tomvet, limerick, roi;373022]Well nature abhorrs a vacuum!

What's Michael Cawley ever done apart from be Michael O'Leary's deputy? He must be pretty top notch for the amazing CEO of Ryanair to have him as his No 2.

[QUOTE=Mrs M;373089]Malév Hungarian Airlines

Quote QUOTE: View Post
    Well nature abhorrs a vacuum!

What's Michael Cawley ever done apart from be Michael O'Leary's deputy? He must be pretty top notch for the amazing CEO of Ryanair to have him as his No 2.
    Rather unfortunate choice of words Mrs M - but it very vividly describes how Ryanair treat their staff!

Images
    [QUOTE=tomvet, limerick, roi;373532]
    Malév Hungarian Airlines

Rather unfortunate choice of words Mrs M - but it very vividly describes how Ryanair treat their staff!
    Well that just demonstrates how totally different our paths of thought are TV because I had to really think before I got the meaning of your highlighting. Wouldn't occur to me to use such an analogy I'm afraid.

Images
    Mrs M,

Malév Hungarian Airlines

My thoughts exactly..........who?

TV and Toilet humour........who would have thought it?

PM

CANBERRA (STUFT) May 1982
    OCEANA 7-21 Aug 2010
    VENTURA 4-19 Nov 2011
    VENTURA Feb 2014

Given the state of the Hungarian economy it's hardly surprising. I suspect Olympic will follow soon.

The trouble with having an open mind, of course, is that people will insist on coming along and trying to put things in it.
    T Pratchett.

I was meant to be flying to Budapest with them next Thursday. They went bust on Fri 3/2, and I only found out on Tues 7/2 when I went to their web site to check something. Fortunately, I paid by CC so I can make a Section 75 claim, and my annual travel insurance should cover the non refundable hotel booking.

If you haven't heard of Malev, they were the Hungarian national airline and had been flying for 65 years. They used to get good passenger reviews at airlinequality.com. I chose them because they flew from Gatwick at convenient times.

I looked at re-booking with BA, and they wanted £750 pp, so it will be another quiet weekend at home next weekend.

I was meant to be flying to Budapest with them next Thursday. They went bust on Fri 3/2, and I only found out on Tues 7/2 when I went to their web site to check something. Fortunately, I paid by CC so I can make a Section 75 claim, and my annual travel insurance should cover the non refundable hotel booking.

If you haven't heard of Malev, they were the Hungarian national airline and had been flying for 65 years. They used to get good passenger reviews at airlinequality.com. I chose them because they flew from Gatwick at convenient times.

I looked at re-booking with BA, and they wanted £750 pp, so it will be another quiet weekend at home next weekend.
    sorry to hear about that nick!