Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Topic: Baggage

Baggage

I am going with my wife on the Sea Princess on 28th. November and flying on Thomas Cook airlines. The luggage allowance is 23kg and I was wondering if they use the calculation on a joint basis between my wife and I. Eg. if we take 3 cases between us with a total weight of 46 kg would that be allowed?
    Hope that all makes sense!!

The allowance is based on a per person basis. However, if you are going to the US, regardless of your agreed allowance, you may get charged for the second and third luggage. I had to pay, but will be getting in touch with the airline provider, bearing in mind that they messed me about on the way out.

Images
    To save any confusion/misunderstanding its probably best for you each to take one suitcase weighing up to 23 kgs and of course your hand luggage (one piece each as well). We found this was plenty for our two weeks on Ventura last year.

Thanks for the responses. I think we will play safe and just take 1 case each.

On the subject of flights, we are booked to cruise from Los Angeles preceded by a 3 night stay in Las Vegas. The "deal" was for flights by American Airlines with a change of plane en route. We couldn't face this so paid extra for a transatlantic flight with B.A. The flight from Las Vegas to Los Angeles is with A.A. We have just found out (by researching ourselves and not by notification from our travel agent) that we shall have to pay $20 each for the first bag and $30 for the next on the internal flight. Taking enough gear for 17 nights, we usually take 2 bags each. This will cost us an extra $100 which we are in the process of querying with our travel agent. Had we flown transatlantic with A.A. we would still have had to pay $20 for a second piece of luggage. At least B.A. haven't got round to that yet. Just hope we are not affected by a possible strike of B.A. cabin crew. Anyway, just thought that other readers doing the same trip as us may not be aware of the extra costs.

BA reduced the number of bags on economy to one from 7 Oct 2009, whereas before it was two bags on transatlantic flights. When this was in operation any UK or US internal connecting flights had the same allowance. World Traveller Plus still gets you two bags.
    Brian

Images
    British Airways are quite candid on their website what the baggage rules are and they state that other airlines will/may have differing rules.Even on a codeshare, these rules may apply. When we fly with different airlines, we always check the different baggage allowance as the free allowances vary airline to airline and class to class. I was told by Virgin last year that if you are making one continuous journey [ie transatlantic and a same day transit] on a codeshare and in the same class of travel, the larger amount will apply. If you break that journey, then the different rules apply.

Thankfully our flights were booked prior to October, so we still have the 2 bags allowance. However, thanks for the information as we are about to book flights with BA to and from Tampa, so at least it won't be a nasty shock. Don't have much option since only BA fly direct to Tampa and we don't want to have to change planes in the U.S. Incidentally, do you know whether the charge for extra bags is levied only on the outward flight or do you have to pay again on return?

Images
    Quote QUOTE: View Post
    Thankfully our flights were booked prior to October, so we still have the 2 bags allowance. However, thanks for the information as we are about to book flights with BA to and from Tampa, so at least it won't be a nasty shock. Don't have much option since only BA fly direct to Tampa and we don't want to have to change planes in the U.S. Incidentally, do you know whether the charge for extra bags is levied only on the outward flight or do you have to pay again on return?
    Be careful with this one as we had problem recently with 2 baggage allowance booked before October and got caught out badly.
    I even checked with the airline customer service the day before departure that we were still OK with baggage allowance as we had booked the previous January. " Yes Sir not a problem"

Oh but there was when we got to check in!!

We had booked the flights in January but the agent had not paid the airline until a couple of months before departure (after October) so the dispensation does not apply!
    Of course we argued this out, she phoned her line manager but no deal. This happens on a daily basis according to the check in staff so check with your airline customer service and get them to check date of payment by your agent.

Last edited by Wilba; 8th February 2010 at 10:34 AM.
    Wilba

The BA website refers to flights "booked" before 7 Oct 2009 retaining the old allowance.
    The term "booked" to me means you have made a reservation, but not necessarily paid the full amount.

Or are you saying the agent took your money and did not "book" the flight until two months before travel?
    Brian

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast