Page 1 of 35 12311 ... LastLast

The Forum, dying or vibrant

The Forum is still young and as such has had growing pains. For all such sites to survive they must learn in order to progress. We seem to have reached a significant stage where major decisions are probably needed. There have been crossroads before and some have caused more consternation than others but we are currently, in my opinion, in a state of flux. Do we as participants make suggestions to Admin as to the way we would like to progress or do we just allow admin to think its way forward?

In the past the Forum has been a self-moderating unit but it would appear that things are changing. With the view that nothing vital stays the same where do you as subscribers think we should go, what should we allow and what should be the boundaries?

Should the Forum be managed in a more open fashion so that everyone knows when they have said something that is considered inappropriate and that should they follow through with further remarks a restriction will be placed on them?
    Or
    Should we revert to the old system where there was seldom any censoring or chastisement and things sorted themselves out?
    Or
    Is there a central path which can be suggested whereby posts which are considered to be “close to the edge” are marked by something significant like a colour and where we know to tread with care?
    Or
    Are we asking Administration to deal with more than they could hope to deal with and that the “Press the Button” system to alert them of something they might like to look at is the best and most appropriate system after all?

Are there other things that we or Admin should be doing to assist the steady development of the Forum. Let’s face it; to a large degree it is us that make the Forum what it is so we should think about what we want from it and the way it should handle itself. I know that the final decision and action will come from cruisedot but surely what we say is of importance unless we all want to be sheep driven along a narrow path, our fleeces stripped from us and our bodies finally sold for profit. (Sorry about the analogy but it could be nearer the truth than we at first think).

So what do you think?

Are you OK to be herded along or do you have thoughts about which road we want to take and why we want to go that way? ……Neil

Images
    I am happy being herded along. thanks all the same...........

Photography derived from the Greek photos- for "light" and -graphos for "drawing​

Thomson Majesty Hellenic Classics May1st 2015

Hi Neil

It's good to have the chance to discuss this issue in a thread of it's own.

I am sure admin do not have enough resources to monitor all the posts on all the threads as the forum has grown exponentially and continues to do so. I spend too long on here and don't get to read half of the threads so I can imagine it would be more than a full time job.

I don't like the idea of nominated members becoming moderators as that can lead to dissent as to what is acceptable with as many different views as moderators.

I think admin need to make it clear to the forum members when behaviour crosses over the line and contravenes their rules. I suspect very few of us will know exactly what the rules are and admin need to advertise infractions more widely so we are all clear as to where the boundaries lie. We get some idea of this when a thread is locked but not when members are banned or posts deleted. I think if admin were a little more open in this respect then we would all know where the line in the sand lay.

I would prefer it if admin monitored everything themselves and didn't rely on us pressing the button to report a post. However this is an idea world and I suspect they will not have sufficient resources and rely on assistance. They do need people to be vigillant if they do not monitor every post themselves as one of the two posts I've reported was defamatory.

Cruising my way through life!

Sue

Images
    Afternoon Neil,

Its been a disappointing week for the forum as we have ended up with members being banned, and regardless of who they are, its disappointing that Administration have concluded that this action is necessary.

Sue, in the previous post, talks a lot of sense in my opinion. I would like to see Administration taking a more hands on roll and being more transparent so that all members, be they new or old, have a clear understanding of the rules, particularly when they are broken. I'm sure this would result in fewer rules being broken while not detracting from the content.

Vinny

A difficult one - They'll be judged as wrong whatever they do!

I'm not all sure threads discussing why threads have been closed/members banned are good - it is
    a) counter productive
    and
    b) hardly good for the marketing arm's projected image of cruising being for 'nice' people.

Should we be told why people are banned / threads closed?
    Not if
    a) the rules are clear
    b) the perpetrators are informed and allowed to 'appeal'
    c) the rules are seen to be enforced fairly.

It is better the threads are closed rather than deleted - on a another forum I frequent contantious threads are removed. This ends up as a vehicle for trouble makers/stirrers/trolls to do their worst and not leave a paper trail.

But they should be closed ( If they have to be) long before they descend into virtual anarchy

Meg

Images
    What a shame that we should need 'Rules' to hold conversations and use a forum.

I personally do not think the time is right to start change - it smacks of a knee jerk reaction. This forum is for adults not childish behaviour.
    We can decide to rise to the bait or walk away and if more said 'listen I cannot be bothered with this particular type of rhetoric' and ignored it - then it is very hard to debate with yourself or argue.

Knowing the difference between robust discussion and downright nastiness appears to be the key. We already seem to live in a Nanny State - do we really need to run to 'Miss' (or Mr) everytime something upsets us.

Cruise dot have given you a forum - and included all aspects from Cruising to Off Topic - all they need to add is a little sign which says 'Play Nicely'.

For the ones that do cross the 'Rules' boundary - use the same principal as commerce - First offence - verbal warning by the Administrators - on the actual topic so no one is left in any doubt that a line has been crossed. If it continues - write a warning to the Offender - if it still persists - ban them. I know there is an 'Infraction' system but that does not appear to carry much weight as the recipitant can ask for it to be overturned on appeal.

I worry that we are losing sight of the value of the forum. Yes there have been a couple of incidents that have resulted in banning members but - on the whole I do not see that it has damaged the forum - not when you discount those couple of topics and look at the overall picture........and it may appear strange - but the topics that have led to robust debate and exchanges are the ones with the highest viewing figures.

I think the Administrators have managed this forum extremely well - given the membership (be they live posters or dormant lookers in). It must be a thankless task but by not being heavy handed they have allowed you to create and grow the forum you now have.
    Make suggestions for improvement by all means - there is always room for that - but not at the detriment to one or other section that make up this forum.

I don't mind being herded by a good shepherd - they usually know best and do it for our own good.

What a shame that we should need 'Rules' to hold conversations and use a forum - Knowing the difference between robust discussion and downright nastiness appears to be the key

Precisely!!! Your usual sheer common sense is at work again, Sandie ....

Cheers,
    Lynn

Images
    No, its Not dying, nor is it currently vibrant. I just think it is a sadder place at the moment.
    PM

CANBERRA (STUFT) May 1982
    OCEANA 7-21 Aug 2010
    VENTURA 4-19 Nov 2011
    VENTURA Feb 2014

Images
    Quote QUOTE: View Post
    No, its Not dying, nor is it currently vibrant. I just think it is a sadder place at the moment.
    PM
    I totally agree.

Images
    Quote QUOTE: View Post
    I totally agree.
    What adds to the sadness is the fact that there are individuals currently out there bin raking and causing mischief. They remind me of the toothless crones sat knitting around the foot of the Guillotine in Revolutionary France.

So transparent too.
    PM

CANBERRA (STUFT) May 1982
    OCEANA 7-21 Aug 2010
    VENTURA 4-19 Nov 2011
    VENTURA Feb 2014

Page 1 of 35 12311 ... LastLast