Page 21 of 62 FirstFirst ... 11192021222331 ... LastLast

Topic: new format

Images
    Quote QUOTE: View Post
    Never had a problem with Firefox and 185 million people are now using it.
    I'm on Chrome and didn't have a problem with the font size. I do agree with what Gill said in that the majority of users to the site are older and therefore didn't require the changes that had been made to be so noticable ~ but as Grant said browsing the forum on my phone is now far easier especially to read ~ I haven't yet opened it up on my PSP but I'll have a look at it later.

This is far less cluttered than the annoying adverts that I had got used to ignoring and others had taken to removing with a screen cleaner ~ Dave, Whitstable.

I would prefer the last 24hrs posts to be reinstated ~ it makes life far easier

We are all atheists about most of the gods that humanity has ever believed in. Some of us just go one god further.

Images
    Hopefully you should no longer get logged out if you leave the forum for an extended period of time, please let us know if this is not your experience

-James

Forum Support

Images
    James
    I personally have never had that as a problem, I tend never to log out.
    Am I correct, is there no direct link to old posts prior to the change, other than going through old threads. You used to click on your settings, all posts and up would come the list, cannot find any prior to the change.

Images
    James
    Am I correct, is there no direct link to old posts prior to the change, other than going through old threads. You used to click on your settings, all posts and up would come the list, cannot find any prior to the change.
    I too never log out, so I never need to log back in, but you are correct, all posts prior to change have gone, vanished!

Wilba

Images
    I have just opened the Q&A site on my Blackberry and it's just not possible to read it.

Anyone else tried?

Wilba

Images
    James
    You are correct.
    Unfortunately the forum was deactivated, when it is reactivated it does start from scratch so to speak.

Forum Support

Images
    If I had the tech.ability of Grant or Pete Caerphilly,and if I was short of things to do(which I am not),I would probably wear my entreprenuers hat and start a "Alternative Forum" for disenchanted members. For all I know,that might be an easy thing to do..or it may not.Most of the DEs(disenchanted members) would probably from the Twitterati,(so derided/despised by the more"serious/"sophisticated/ members)among whom I include myself.Come on..how many times can you read "can you smoke on IOTS.or is there a hairdrier in cabin 6788Summit! Cruisedot seem to have taken a similar route to Radio2(which I used to love),whereby they changed the playlist to attract younger listeners,and ruined the channel! When members like Bobbybouy abandon ship,it's a sad,sad day!He had a lovely way with warm words,and if you look at his number of views(oops,maybe you can't now!),many people enjoyed his topics.
    If the reasons for change are to enhance "security",then perhaps the people who were obsessed with their privacy are now happy...but the Trolls won.It's the equivalent now of having to take off your shoes/belt at an airport on account of Al Quaeda! People will not fly now unless it's unavoidable.
    Jill is correct in pointing out that in implementing these changes Cruisedot have not taken into account the demographic of the forum members...most are over50. As for "useability" the new system has definitely reduced the agility with which one could find info.
    I would,if I was a dramatic sort of person,liken the death of the forum community which is happening,to watch a Wilderbeest being brought down by a pride of young lions. So Sad Stan.Mad,Eek.
    I am one of those you mentioned who has an 'obsession with privacy'. However that is all about my personal privacy which I guard. I am wary of who will read our forum so put nothing on which will give much away about me as a person. Unlike you, Al whatsit hasn't beaten me. I am a frequent flyer on a couple of airlines and I consider the flight as part of the holiday.
    I DO agree with you [good gracious] re the demographic of the forum. I consider myself Mrs Average on this forum. I travel frequently, I have a brick for a mobile on PAYG and wouldn't know an App if it bit me on the rear. I have absolutely NO interest in Grant's techno speak. It goes right over my head. The computer skillsI have [small they may be] have been learnt 'on the run' and I often need help [thanks Tuggy et al].

Now, I think we had a great community. I must admit there were many threads I bypassed or read and thought 'rubbish' but that was the forum. A lot of waffle went under the bridge, but if folk feel they have to leave the forum or post less [I won't do either, sorry] then it's a shame.

What I would like is for a member of the admin team involved in this, to open a q&a thread so we can pose our queries to them and then we might get more of a handle on what direction they see the forum heading.

Please don't throw your toys out of the pram. Don't leave or post less. Let's get over this and continue the great forum we had. We are the forum. We can moan about the changes or try and get on with them, hopefully tweak a few [post your problems on the other thread], and then just get on with being a great forum.

Last edited by Mrs M; 24th February 2011 at 01:52 PM.

Images
    We use the term upgrade to refer specifically to the software on which the forum runs, we are now using a much newer version of this for the reasons that Chris mentioned earlier.

In terms of the style, look and feel, general usability and features it is very much a work in progress. We did a lot of work before the upgrade and are continuing to work hard to make the site the same as it was before, to try to make the transition as smooth as possible.
    We are keeping track of all requests and suggestions and will hopefully get to them all asap

Thanks
    -James

Forum Support

Images
    I too never log out, so I never need to log back in, but you are correct, all posts prior to change have gone, vanished!
    Ahh right. Until I changed it the Forum was signing you out if you did nothing for 15 minutes.
    Now it will sign you out after 100 billion days...overkill perhaps but still

Forum Support

Images
    Thanks James
    Think I am winning re the new format

Page 21 of 62 FirstFirst ... 11192021222331 ... LastLast