Topic: mobile phones

mobile phones

We are going on our first cruise in May next year, on the Queen Elizabeth to the Fjords. Can you get a signal on mobiles on cruise ships?

Images
    Quote QUOTE: View Post
    We are going on our first cruise in May next year, on the Queen Elizabeth to the Fjords. Can you get a signal on mobiles on cruise ships?
    Yes...but suggest you invest in a lottery ticket first and cross your fingers.

Seriously, using a mobile phone 'at sea' is astronomically expensive as calls are usually routed throught the ships signals unless you are near enough to pick up a land based signal. Wait until you are ashore, much cheaper.

Yes you can as it connects with the ships satellite system when away from land but it then becomes mega expensive.
    However even satellites dont work very well when in the fjords as they get blocked by the mountains
    Brian

Images
    I have used my mobile phone, mainly for texts, but often because of the clear line ship to shore selected that option on the roaming setting and on limited occasions it is fine. Similarly this can also be used for voice but hopefully I would hope not to need to given we are only away for up to 16 days. I did on a couple of occasions use the ships link for two urgent calls neither longer than 3 min and I could live with the cost. There are other options nowadays with the use of computers, but again not cheap.

Bill Byth

Website http://billblyth.co.uk

Images
    Thinking about it, there's not much you can't get on a cruise ship providing you're prepared to pay for it, but one further tip regarding mobiles, tell your friends NOT to call unless it is necessary, as you will be charged dearly just for receiving the call ..........Wilba

Wilba

Images
    Thinking about it, there's not much you can't get on a cruise ship providing you're prepared to pay for it, but one further tip regarding mobiles, tell your friends NOT to call unless it is necessary, as you will be charged dearly just for receiving the call ..........Wilba
    ...and that's why we keep our phones OFF until we are ashore.

ShipShape, Coventry Guest
    All good advice about avoiding normal use, but if you have to use your phone for the odd important call it's not the end of the world.

We had to make and receive 5 or 6 calls over the space of a few days (P&O in the Med), and the total cost was less than 15.

i found texting was still only 10p,so you can keep in touch that wat or better still,use ships internet,most have computers to use at reasonable cost

Above post is spam and reported.