Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

What is a guy to do?

We are in Kirkwall on a Sunday and all the car hire places are shut. Have the locals not heard of 'make hay when the sun shines' or about 'taking the opportunity of a lifetime during the lifetime of the opportunity'! There will be 2000 Pax in town that day.

Public transport is very poor on a Sunday. So what is one to do if they wish to see the Italian Chapel, Skara Brae, Maeshowe and Rings of Brodgar.

We did look at a private tour guide and she was looking for €400 for the day . The whole cruise cost €499pp!!!

Looks like the ships tour is the only alternative but they do not go to all the sites we want to see!

Most unsatisfactory!

Quote QUOTE: View Post
    We are in Kirkwall on a Sunday and all the car hire places are shut. Have the locals not heard of 'make hay when the sun shines' or about 'taking the opportunity of a lifetime during the lifetime of the opportunity'! There will be 2000 Pax in town that day.

Public transport is very poor on a Sunday. So what is one to do if they wish to see the Italian Chapel, Skara Brae, Maeshowe and Rings of Brodgar.

We did look at a private tour guide and she was looking for €400 for the day . The whole cruise cost €499pp!!!

Looks like the ships tour is the only alternative but they do not go to all the sites we want to see!

Most unsatisfactory!
    IF it will help tom....I can lend you some bales of hay...

That's about as helpful as your advice on paying one's onboard account with english sterling on a US cruise line!!

That's about as helpful as your advice on paying one's onboard account with english sterling on a US cruise line!!

NOW TOM,I have a confession to make..I FIND YOUR REPLIES TONIGHT................VERY TAXING!

p.s.....if it will help you out......... I WILL pay the 4oo euros for you, to run about, but ask if she will take cash..(english sterling)

sorry tom.....(no punt intended)...michael.

NOW TOM,I have a confession to make..I FIND YOUR REPLIES TONIGHT................VERY TAXING!

p.s.....if it will help you out......... I WILL pay the 4oo euros for you, to run about, but ask if she will take cash..(english sterling)

Ok Michael you are on! Put your money where your mouth is!!

Images

Michael as Kirkwall is in the Orkney islands, SCOTLAND you will find that we prefer to use Scottish pounds but will accept English pounds if we must.

don't want to work, just want to cruise.

Images
    Tom as a lot of the Scottish Islands are very Christian in some places nothing happens on a Sunday except going to Church. buses don't run, pubs [if there are any] don't open etc. you might be able to hire peddle bikes! lol

if you have not already done so why don't you contact a local taxi company for a price of a tour. here are some information links.

Kirkwall Feature Page on Undiscovered Scotland

Getting Around - Visit Orkney, The Official Site of the Orkney Tourist Board

don't want to work, just want to cruise.

Tom as a lot of the Scottish Islands are very Christian in some places nothing happens on a Sunday except going to Church. buses don't run, pubs [if there are any] don't open etc. you might be able to hire peddle bikes! lol

if you have not already done so why don't you contact a local taxi company for a price of a tour. here are some information links.

Kirkwall Feature Page on Undiscovered Scotland

Getting Around - Visit Orkney, The Official Site of the Orkney Tourist Board
    Thank Issy -Stagecoach do a type of HOHO that starts at 10am and allows 1.5 hours in Skara Brae, 20 mins at the Ring of Brodgar and 20 minutes at the Italian Chapel. It finishes at 3PM and all aboard is 3.30Pm - so it is defintiely an option. Only downside - it does not visit Maeshowe and it goes to Stromess but we get no time there.

In Malta all shops close on Sundays with the law allowing just a few exceptions. Then after protests similar to Toms' certain shops that tourists use were allowed to open on Sundays in tourist zones. Also when a cruise ship is in the harbour, shops in Valletta can open if they wish to.
    We had a similar problem in Barcelona when we docked on a Sunday. All the car hire companies at the port were closed.

Most unsatisfactory!
    Is it me or is anyone else completely mystified at this response?

The trouble with having an open mind, of course, is that people will insist on coming along and trying to put things in it.
    T Pratchett.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast