Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Alternatives to Bruges at Zeebrugge

I'm just pondering the ins and outs of going to Bruges while on Oriana in August.
    Pros: None of us have ever been and I understand it's lovely.
    The children delight in visiting new places

Cons: It's very very expensive to get there via P&O (100 for just the coach) and money is very very tight. (DH doesn't want to do the train as he's worried about the ship leaving us behind!)

So the question is, what is Blankenberg like, any use for a wander around for an hour or so? Or is Bruges so wonderful that we'd be mad to miss it?

Images
    It is a lovely place we have been 3 times and likely again in a few months time. It a little bit like Venice with its canal boats not the same type as you would see in Venice but comfortable. We usually take the cruise bus there it is a lovely shopping centre not the best but worth while see with jewellery; sweets and soap bars all shapes and sizes plus a chocolate museum. Only problem is it is very cobbly, but you can go on a trip on a horse and cart or go on the minibus that goes approx every 30 mins and leaves from the centre where the be lovely cathedral is situated. Well worth a visit.

Bill Byth

Website http://billblyth.co.uk

Images
    Last year I went to Bruges (charming) from London via Eurostar for 59 (return) which included the Belgium rail fare from Brussels (return)!

100 is rather expensive.

Images
    In 2009 we went to Ghent and whilst very nice not quite up to a visit to Brugge. Have a look at this review and scroll down to see a few pictures of our visit, which also involved a boat trip... billblyth.co.uk I agree with Malcolm, 100 seems a bit steep.

Bill Byth

Website http://billblyth.co.uk

I assume the 100 is for four people!

Images
    If you get to Blankenberg, catch a bus to Bruges. It cost for 3 people 9 euros return. 25mins. Hope that helps.

Images
    Oh number 33 bus..lol

Quote QUOTE: View Post
    100 is rather expensive.
    No it isn't Malcolm.
    It's downright robbery
    To Brugge is about 7 by train from Blankenburg or Zeebrugge-Strand, or share a taxi.
    There's options - the coastal tram 9 all-day ticket to Ostend (beach, pedestrianised town, harbour, a few sights) or beyond to the Atlantic Wall (WW 1 and 11) & museum, or further to the seaside resort & interesting town of De Panne, or even to the end of the line at the little kiddies theme-park Plopsaland.
    Or a few miles in the opposite direction by taxi to the Dutch border town of Sluis - very adult
    But if you've not been to Bruges, that's the place to go - way better than all the options
    Chris

It really is extremely easy to do on the train. The shuttle drops off almost opposite train station in Blankenburg. The trains go hourly (look up train times before you go on the internet). It's 5 euros each - cheap as chips. Get off early and return at lunchtime if you like. We have done it quite a few times. When you get to the train station at Bruges, just walk out of station, get a bus that says centrum/centralle for 1 euro each. Get off at the main square (or you can walk from the station if you like, but it's a bit of a way). Catch the bus back easy for another euro at the same spot. The horse/cart rides are 40 euros for up to 4 of you. Well worth it, especially nice if you can do it early before the crowds in the afternoon. I adore brugges, it has a lovely charm. Train journey is 10 mins each way, from ship to centre you can be there in an hour (if you time getting off right). Free shuttle to Blankenburg is about 15 mins.

Or, what we are going to do if it's nice, there is a really nice beach/pier at blankenburg which I haven't been to, but google it, looks lovely. So going to have a beach day if sunny, a Brugges day if not!

Don't pay for the ship bus, they drop you off outside of the main area and you have to walk in anyway and are very expensive. Coaches aren't allowed in the town centre. Wouldn't bother with a hop on, hop off bus either, it's really easy to walk about and not that big.

Enjoy! Jo x

P&O Artemis/Oceana/Aurora/Azura
    RCI - Independence of the Seas
    Celebrity Eclipse
    Cunard QM2/QE/QV
    Royal Princess

I thought they had just done a refit/conversion on Oriana to convert her to an Adult only Ship or is this planned for the future?

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast