Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Herculaneum from Naples - How easy to DIY

Having done Naples too many times to recall for a change we thought we would visit Herculaneum for a change. How easy is this to DIY.

Also I am very curious about the secret underground of Naples City for which I think they do some sort of walking tour, does anyone know anymore about this please.

Hi,

we did a Celebrity ship tour to Herculaneum last year, it was much less crowded and very well preserved, the guide was excellent and imformative, I felt we saw more than a guided tour of Pompeii, dont know about the DIY, I presume you could haggle for a taxi price at the port and wander at your leisure. - Ally

Thanks, we are on a Carnival Ship and the tour price is around $45 each which doesnt sound unreasonable but reading into it, it appears this does not include a proper guide. They just drop you off admission included with a set of headphones and taped guide tour.

I'm trying to weigh up whether it may be better to just get a bus or train or maybe a taxi and a proper guide.

Images
    Herculaneum is so well worth a visit. Far better preserved than Pompeii! Not as far either. Does not take that long to walk round. We did a ship's tour taking in Vesuvius then Herculaneum. I would imagine it would be fairly cheap and easy to get a taxi at the dockside.
    Not heard about the secret underground though. You will enjoy it though. Glad we went.
    We had a guide, but had we stayed with them, we would have missed so much. So, we just wandered around ourselves. Took ages in each place with the guide and we saw so much more alone.

Last edited by Calgray, Yorkshire; 23rd July 2011 at 07:03 PM.
    *Carol M*

You can get to Herculaneum from the port of Naples via a walk to the train station and then the Circumvesuvio train.

I Googled and planned it for our last visit to Naples but, in the end, we just enjoyed a very Italian lunch with lots of vino in Naples.

It's very doable, but if you are unfamiliar with Naples,then a taxi to the station would be just 5 minutes, and probably save a great deal of time trying to find the station.

Have done Pompeii twice, both on land holidauys,BUT Herculaneum comes highly recommended and next time, we shall go there, unless of course, a good lunch beckons!!

Hi Bradbury,
    It pretty easy to get a train to Herculaneum. Get a taxi (12-15 Euro) from the port to Circumvesuviana station at Piazza Garibaldi, which is on the statiion's lower level. You want trains toward Sorrento which run every 30 minutes or so. Get off at the Ercolano Scavi station. The fare is around 2 Euro single and the train is around 30 minutes.

Follow the brown signs right and left, then downhill to the big arch where the ticket office is found.
    Beware - there are two train stations in Ercolano, the Ercolano Scavi Circumvesuviana station is on the Sorrento-Naples line. Make sure you come back to the same station.

Just got an excellent book for anyone else planning DIY ports in the Med. Best £10 I have spent in ages
    Rick Steve's Mediterranean Cruise Ports: Amazon.co.uk: Steves, Hewitt: Books

Last edited by helpthejuggler, Wootton Bassett; 23rd July 2011 at 11:44 PM.

Images
    We did the ships tour with the obligatory toilet stop at the cameo factory, good guide to show you around, you need to be fairly fit to walk through the ruins, they are in much better condition than Pompeii well worth the visit

We took bus from outside of port gates ,purchased tickets from ciggy kiosk over the road to get to station.

We did Herculaneum from Sorrento by train and from Naples it is just as easy. The Circumvesuviana trains take 25 minutes to get there from Naples. To get to the ruins, get off at the Ercolano Scavi station, follow the brown signs right and left, then half a mile downhill to the big arch where the ticket office & baggage check are (pick up bag 30 minutes before site closing) The museum on the right hand side on the way down is not worthwhile in my opinion.

The site itself is not that big but very interesting. They have restored some of the roofs and you get a real idea of what it must have been like when the Romans were there over 2000 years ago when it got swallowed up by volcanic mud.

I don't know if it applies to you but OAP's get a concession on the train and at the site. If you want an audio tour headset (reccomended) then take some original ID like a driving license with you for a deposit (this is useful for the concessions also)- they don't accept photocopies.

Last edited by Santa, Redditch; 24th July 2011 at 03:02 PM.
    The trouble with having an open mind, of course, is that people will insist on coming along and trying to put things in it.
    T Pratchett.

Images
    Quote QUOTE: View Post
    The museum on the right hand side on the way down is not worthwhile in my opinion.

the museum does have good clean loos, much better than the ones at the site! we used it for a comfort stop on the way. if you don't fancy the walk back up to the station look out for the white transit mini buses, run for locals but only eu1 each back to the station

Helen

the keeper of Sophie (who snores), the cat and Tallulah and Loobylu, the kitties

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast