Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Venice - Top Tips

VENICE - Top Tips

Here we go again. Another one for you to add little snippets or gems of info that may help with visits to major cruise ports - along the line of the best Top Ten Tips. This one is Venice:

So please add to the list.

Put Tip No. XX in the title box

Tip No.1

Port Out Starboard Home

This really does work for Venice! Got your self a balcony cabin and want to see the sail in, then you need a cabin on the Starboard Side. Want to see the Sail out of Venice then you need a cabin on the Port Side.

Images
    No 2

Purchase a 12 hour Vaporetta ticket @ €16

Most single/one way journeys cost €5 or €6

Last edited by Wilba; 12th February 2012 at 06:03 PM.
    Wilba

Tip No. 2
    Buy a 12hr vaporetto (waterbus) ticket for €16 that gives you unlimited travel all over Venice including the islands like Murano for the glass making.
    Brian

Get minds obviously think alike Wilba and Brian

Images
    Quote QUOTE: View Post
    Port Out Starboard Home

This really does work for Venice! Got your self a balcony cabin and want to see the sail in, then you need a cabin on the Starboard Side. Want to see the Sail out of Venice then you need a cabin on the Port Side.
    We have only been the once, but had a portside balcony. The sail out was truly spectacular. We didn't go up on deck as we knew it would be difficult to get a place.. we had our own little perfect spot.
    Far more to see on the sail out. I want to go again......

Thank you all for your tips, will take note and make our next visit even better.

Last edited by Calgray, Yorkshire; 12th February 2012 at 06:25 PM.
    *Carol M*

Images
    No3

Make use of the People Mover (airport style electric train) from the port to Pizalla Roma (bus/taxi/vaporetta station) €1 per person each way

Wilba

No4
    Download Rick Steves mp3 audio tour of the Grand Canal. Get the No1 Vaperetto from Piazza Roma switch on your mp3 player and enjoy the trip to St Marks Square

Time and money saver

Looking at the flight schedules for a Princess cruise out of Venice on the 24th September this year I noticed some rediculous timings of flights out of Manchester made by Princess travel! 05.55 out of Man to Amsterdam then a connection to Venice arriving at 11.00 ish.On the return from Rome airport it was after midnight and landing at Amsterdam for another connection to Manchester.It seems Princess don't do direct flights!!.I cancelled the flights and transfer costs ove £1100 and did my own direct flights and transfers saving around £450 even with a taxi to the Rome airport at (-120 from the ship at Civitavechia!
    I recommend Jet2 flight timings.

Sorry, Bradbury, I hadn't twigged on that you too were asking for contributions until I read it so....

I'll show you mine if you'll show me yours........

Seen and done everything in Venice?
    Try a Traghetto this means ferry in Italian but in Venice it’s a gondola; not your posh ones but ones used just to get people to the opposite side of the canal. It’ll cost you €0.50 and will be the cheapest if quickest gondola ride in Venice.

Instead of going to the usual sites try going over to the Isola di San Giorgio Maggiore, opposite St Marks Square and going up the Bell Tower there. The views are spectacular and it’s cheaper than the Campanile in St Marks Square with much smaller queues too. …..Neil

Regards. .....Neil

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast