Page 5 of 21 FirstFirst ... 3456715 ... LastLast
    Quote QUOTE: View Post
    Hi Bradbury and Joe & if you click on this link it will take you to the Pathe News Clip of the opening of the original 'Art Deco' Ocean Terminal.

PREMIER OPENS NEW OCEAN TERMINAL - British Pathe

Lizzie
    Also if you search Southampton Docks on British Pathe there is footage of the Passenger Terminal at berth 102 being opened in 1956 along with footage of the passenger terminal at berths 105/106 being named in 1960 showing the orgional Oriana alongside!

It would be nice to imagine that they ended up in the reception area of the new Carnival office. Alternatively, they could have gone to Southampton's maritime museum. Who knows though eh?
    I was only talking about those models to the terminal manager at berth 106 the other week and he imformed me that the Southampton Maritime Museum have them.

In fact there are some superb models of the current fleet in the new Carnival HQ, but of course the general public such as yourself will not be able to view them

This is the first time I have posted on this site as I have only ever read the comments on this forum, but as the history of the passenger terminals in the Port of Southampton is my speciality I just had to comment!

My grand father was with Cunard from 1922 untill he retired in 1975, my father was with Cunard for 10 years and worked in the Port of Southampton for 42 years so I am very familiar with the Port of Southampton as well as Cunard.

I joined Cunard at the age of 18 and have also worked with various other shipping companys, I now work in the Port of Southampton.

Of course I could go on and on but I think my comments tell the story as best as I can!

Last edited by Canberra, Southampton; 6th June 2010 at 01:05 PM.

This is the first time I have posted on this site as I have only ever read the comments on this forum, but as the history of the passenger terminals in the Port of Southampton is my speciality I just had to comment!

Of course I could go on and on but I think my comments tell the story as best as I can!
    Thank you, I have enjoyed your insight into this subject immensely.

Hi Joe

As the comments were about 'current' passenger terminals in the Port of Southampton I did not feel the need to mention the former Ocean Terminal that is why I had not mentioned it!

In actual fact Southampton had many more terminals than you think.

Berths 30/33 used by Royal Mail Lines and in later years by various other passenger lines, demolished in 1976

Berths 34/36 origionally used by Union castle untill 1956 when they moved to purpose built terminals in the western docks, it was then used by Shaw Savill, Elder Dempster Lines, demolished 1975

Berth 46 used by Cunard and various others including P&O Lines and in later years as the passenger terminal for Aznar Lines ferry service from Southampton to Santander, demolished in 1979

Berth 101/102 built in 1956 for Union Castle as their arrivals terminal, demolished in 1992

Berth 104 built in 1936 and used by Union Castle from 1956 as their departure terminal, demolished in the 1980's

Berth 107/108 built 1936 and used by various shipping lines particulary French Lines, United States Lines, Cunard when the terminals in the Ocean Docks 'berths 43/45 and 46/47 were in use, it was also used by P&O when berths 105/106 were in use, demolished in 1988, the last liner to use this terminal was the Royal Viking Sky on the 26th July 1984 as I went aboard her that day!

The long term plans for a 5th passenger terminal will be the current fruit terminal at berth 104, although no commitment has been made as yet it is envisaged that an extension will be made to the current building or building over the roof, the building is used rarely now for passengers since the Ocean Terminal has been opened but it has a huge 360,000 sq footage of space as a baggage hall so is ideally suited to become a future terminal.

ABP to not want to comprimise the terminal as a fruit terminal so detailed planning as not gone further at this stage. 'Long term' plans call for a total re arrangement of the road system in the western docks with multy story car parks adjacent to the passenger terminal at berth 106 and any future terminal.

I can assure you that not all information is released to the local media and as I work in The Port of Southampton take my word for it.
    Hi Canberra,

Thanks for the interesting info.

I'd be interested to hear your thoughts on whether you think Southampton has bitten off more than it can chew with regards to the number of cruise ships it currently deals with throughout peak season.

My comments re the number of terminals were not meant to imply a detailed historical knowledge about when and why various upgrades or rebuilds were done, rather I was trying to oppose an earlier implication that Southampton has instigated a process of rapid increase in the number of passengers it can process, to the detriment of passenger experience when it comes to embarkation procedures and times.

I appreciate that the port has grown and I didn't mean to imply that it hasn't grown at all - of course that would be phycially impossible anyway, it's not as if it has ALWAYS been there- but I tried to make the point that it's been a sensible rate of growth and one that has, on balance, provided more benefits than drawbacks.

So, as somebody who works in the port, what is your opinion? Has the port gone too far? Do you think adding a permanant fifth terminal is wise?

Out of interest, during times when all cruise terminals are being used, including the temporary one at berth 104, does the port advise passengers for berths 104, 105, 106 to use Dock Gate 20? I don't know if there are other factors preventing this, but perhaps this would alleviate a lot of traffic pressure on the main route into the city by removing a lot of cars before the major pressure points.

I was only talking about those models to the terminal manager at berth 106 the other week and he imformed me that the Southampton Maritime Museum have them.
    good guess then, i haven't been in there since I was a child though as I had assumed it would be a bit of a disappointment. Perhaps I should give it a go.

I have really enjoyed reading through the comments about Southampton Docks, so much so that we will be paying a visit to the Maritime Museum . We will be staying in Southampton overnight on the 19th August before we board Azura. Many thanks for all that info

Hi Canberra,

Thanks for the interesting info.

I'd be interested to hear your thoughts on whether you think Southampton has bitten off more than it can chew with regards to the number of cruise ships it currently deals with throughout peak season.

My comments re the number of terminals were not meant to imply a detailed historical knowledge about when and why various upgrades or rebuilds were done, rather I was trying to oppose an earlier implication that Southampton has instigated a process of rapid increase in the number of passengers it can process, to the detriment of passenger experience when it comes to embarkation procedures and times.

I appreciate that the port has grown and I didn't mean to imply that it hasn't grown at all - of course that would be phycially impossible anyway, it's not as if it has ALWAYS been there- but I tried to make the point that it's been a sensible rate of growth and one that has, on balance, provided more benefits than drawbacks.

So, as somebody who works in the port, what is your opinion? Has the port gone too far? Do you think adding a permanant fifth terminal is wise?

Out of interest, during times when all cruise terminals are being used, including the temporary one at berth 104, does the port advise passengers for berths 104, 105, 106 to use Dock Gate 20? I don't know if there are other factors preventing this, but perhaps this would alleviate a lot of traffic pressure on the main route into the city by removing a lot of cars before the major pressure points.
    Hi Joe

To answer your questions regarding traffic flow to the terminals, well of course the road systems around the city to the port is down to the local council and I for one admit they are terrible especially when four large vessels are in port.

ABP and Southampton City Council have put proposals towards alleviating this but the road system around dock gate 4 and where the roundabout is at the Grand Harbour hotel will both have to be altered at some stage but only when the Royal Pier/Town Quay development finnally gets the green light where we will see a widening of the road along Town Quay and hopefully a new Dock Gate 5 put in place without the need to go around Queens Park as it stands now.

All this comes at a a cost and neither ABP or SCC want to commit to any of this at the moment so I have to admit the current system can be a night mare especially for myself when I have to get from the Eastern Docks to the Western Docks on a busy day that can take almost an hour sometimes for only a journey of less than a mile!

Although passengers are advised to go to dock gate 10 for ships in the Western docks many do take advantage of dock gate 20 especially the coaches, if your ever stopped at this gate your not usually asked to turnaround just advised that the road system may be busy with container traffic and you should take extra caution on the road leading to the cruise terminals!

Of course security will also advise you to use dock gate 10 on future occasions!

I do not think a future 5th cruise terminal will have an adverse affect though as hopefully once the green light is given for this the new road system in the Western Docks will take place at the same time!

Although it does not clearly state on here where the 5th cruise terminal will be situated it might be of some interest to you, although this is only an idea of what the future of the port may look like, check it out anyway!

www.southamptonvts.co.uk/portconsultation/index.asp

I have really enjoyed reading through the comments about Southampton Docks, so much so that we will be paying a visit to the Maritime Museum . We will be staying in Southampton overnight on the 19th August before we board Azura. Many thanks for all that info
    Southampton City Council who runs the Maritime Museum have a large collection in storage so you may be a bit dissapointed on your visit as there is no space to exhibit everything including the models that were previously in the passenger terminals!

I for one would love to see huge models of the liners in the terminals especially in the new Ocean Terminal, hopefully we will see a model of a Cunarder there at some stage!

Liverpool

Liz,

I agree absoulutely. Am I right in understanding that Southampton has received EU grants in the past? I suspect that Liverpool may have to pay back the 15m and raise the funds themselves. I follow the basis the grant from EU was given but there should be understanding and open negotiation to amend this and give the country full Cruise facilities in Liverpool. I think 100 passengers were allowed to disembark QM2 and for another 100 to embark last year. Or am I wrong? I too enjoy Southampton but would welcome Liverpool as a port of choice and one we would use.

Unfortunately, I not only think it's "stupid" but also ludicrous that at a time when we're being exhorted to be green in our travel plans, that people from the north of England are not able to begin their cruise from Liverpool, a city which has been down on its luck in as many ways as Southampton.

I like Southampton as a place in its own right, it's a great favourite of mine, and when I'm down to join IoTS in two weeks' time I'll be spending upwards of 200 on a hotel and meals in the city before I travel. However, I will also be spending something like 100 on petrol for my round trip, an expense which would be halved from Liverpool.

Let's be honest about it, the smaller cruise liners which might want to use Liverpool, are likely to be Fred Olsen based in Dover, so I'm not sure that as much trade would be taken away from Southampton as you think.
    Liz
    x

Page 5 of 21 FirstFirst ... 3456715 ... LastLast