Images

Celebrity Century to dry-dock in 2014

The Celebrity Century is scheduled to enter the dry dock at the start of 2014

The Celebrity Century may have a few more journeys left in it after all. Currently Celebrity's oldest-serving ship, the cruise liner has certainly served passengers well since it began service in 1995.

Now coming up to its 20th birthday, it seems that the cruise liner has no intention to sell or transfer the vessel just yet.

In a statement, however, the company revealed that the ship is scheduled for a period in the dry dock at Grand Bahama in February 2014.

It added: "We will announce details of the work that will take place during that period once those details are finalised."

Before then, fans of the 1,800-passenger vessel will have a chance to enjoy several different cruises.

The ship will be heading for two 15-night voyages to Hawaii this month and next, before taking in the Pacific coastline of America later in April.

Then, it will be embarking on a wine cruise around the US and Canada, before exploring the waters around British Columbia and Alaska in August and September.

Century-1.jpg

Images
    Geek facts: Generally cruise ships are designed with a life expectancy of around 30 years. QM2 was designed for 40 years.

The Marco Polo was built 1965, so 48 years old!

Images
    Great News!!!!! It'll be all posh for my next cruise on her...........Wilba

Wilba

So pleased. She had a dry dock scheduled for this year, which was cancelled, sparking rumours that she was up for sail. I was on her at Xmas, and she is a lovely ship. Similar to the M class ships, but with better outside space. I particularly like being able to walk from Deck 6 (prom deck) to the top of the ship while staying outside. There is a 3/4 prom deck, which goes round the stern but stops short of the bow, and there are plenty of places to stand at the back and look aft from various levels - particularly useful if doing the Panama Canal. The rear outside staircases are also handy if you have a cabin towards the stern. Lovely ship, and I hope to go on her again sometime.

Images
    Quote QUOTE: View Post
    So pleased. She had a dry dock scheduled for this year, which was cancelled, sparking rumours that she was up for sail. I was on her at Xmas, and she is a lovely ship. Similar to the M class ships, but with better outside space. I particularly like being able to walk from Deck 6 (prom deck) to the top of the ship while staying outside. There is a 3/4 prom deck, which goes round the stern but stops short of the bow, and there are plenty of places to stand at the back and look aft from various levels - particularly useful if doing the Panama Canal. The rear outside staircases are also handy if you have a cabin towards the stern. Lovely ship, and I hope to go on her again sometime.
    I totally agree Nick.

A proper good old fashioned cruise ship, and I look forward to next years cruise on her............Wilba

Wilba

Images
    she is a lovely ship. I have cruised on her twice and, if the price is right, should be cruising on her again next year. I just hope they don't 'solsticeize' her as I feel it doesn't work on Millennium, Constellation etc and they are bigger ships than Century.

don't want to work, just want to cruise.

Does anybody know any further details ? We are due to do the 'Panama canal' cruise departing 4th February 2014. I can't get any reply from Celebrity.

All sailings after the one departing 20th January - so starting with the 4th Feb have been taken off the website so one should assume they are to be cancelled. As she is in Fort Lauderdale on 4th Feb I think they will relocate her in the Bahamas from there for the Refit. They are yet to announce details of any movement of her back to LA which is where I am travelling on her from in the April.

I think its safe to say your cruise is cancelled but its very poor of them not to let you know for sure. They will probabaly offer you an alternative or some future cruise credit if you need to cancel.

It's now confirmed via email from Michael Bayley (CEO). Dry dock from 4th February until 21st March 2014.