Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast
    Images
    Quote QUOTE: View Post
    Just to make you aware the package is now back on, price has gone up by $10 per day you also must have photo ID and all people in the cabin need to take the package. This may help the situation but I still think it would be better to scrap the whole idea and as stated above reduce there drink prices slightly.

Hope it's sorted before 14th May sailing if not I will be looking around for another Cruise Line as well.
    Hi all
    Just a question regards above post and req ID.
    On Thomsons when you check in,you have your photo taken,when your sea pass is swiped at bar till your photo comes up.
    So if you passed your card to someone else to go and get a drink,they would not get one.
    Does this not apply on other ships,was on RCCL last year but cant remember.
    JC

C P Scott,,,,,"Comment is Free,,but Facts are Sacred"
    The Guardian,,,,, Newspaper of the Year.

On Princess and P&O once you have had one drink the waiters don't even take your card, most of the time they remember your details. RCI swipe your card, but I'm not sure about your ID (photo) coming up, it does come up when you go on shore and when you return to the ship. The drinks package deal is wide open to abuse (the bar staff and waiters are paid very poorly) which is possibly the reason that RCI stopped it.

Images
    Reports are coming in that Royal Caribbeans new all-you-can-drink packages, which only launched last month [on three ships], have been suspended for the current sailing on Independence of the Seas.

Apparently the packages were stopped on Indy's 11-nt Canary Islands cruise, which departed from Southampton on 5 April "in order to make some changes based on guest feedback."

It will be reinstated for the cruise departing on 16 April.
    So in reality axed for a only a few days. Sounds like they are putting in some sensible (limited) controls against the abuses to the system. I'm on her in a few weeks so will report back at how the new scheme is being observed on board.

Twitter: @cruisegrant l Blog: *new* cruisegrant.wordpress.com l
    Next cruises: Queen Mary 2 Jun14
    Past 4 years: Independence of the Seas (x3), Queen Mary 2 (x6), Celebrity Eclipse (x2), NCL Norwegian Jade, P&O Aurora, NCL Getaway
    Ship Visits: MSC Opera, HAL Ryndam, Royal Princess, MSC Magnifica

Just been reading all the comments about the drinks package on the IOTS. We were on the cruise 25thMar/5thApril and yes we took the $39 per person package. Firstly we never saw any of the so called drunks on the ship and we used most of the bars. Some days we didn't drink $39 worth of drinks but other days we did so all in all it probably worked out even. The bonus was that we could get a glass of house wine in the dining room which otherwise was rather expensive. I said straight away that the system was open to abuse and even without trying saw lots of different ways how passengers were 'cheating' the system. The bar staff that we spoke to said there was a lot of upset with the staff because they were losing out on the 15% tip.Obviously with what i have just read this is all getting sorted out but whether it is worth the new amounts i'm not sure.

We were on the 1st sailing of IoTS when this was initially brought in I believe, 14th March.

People were openly sharing and abusing this and the bartenders said they have never pumped so much beer and ran out in a few bars, having to wait for new stocks when we docked!

As I think was already mentioned, photos on the sea pass card or wristbands required when you order would help to stop this sharing. You need wristbands for a lot of the 'insured' activities on board anyway.

I'm due to go on IOTS next month (my first cruise on a large ship; previously I have only sailed on Star Clipper and Seadream Yacht Club). When we saw that the drinks packages had been introduced we thought it was a great idea as from what I have read drinks prices are expensive are on board; we enjoy a drink or two on holiday, and whilst we are not on a tight budget it seemed a good way to control cost.

We thought that the $39 per person per day package seemed fair and reasonable if you have a beer or two during the day and pre dinner cocktails, wine with dinner etc and I am disappointed to read about the abuse and sharing that appears to have taken place. It seems a shame that what is hopefully a minority have spoiled it for others.

I have to admit I'm getting a little apprehensive about the cruise - the more I read the more I am very unsure about what it will be like; I keep reading reviews about lack of seating, queuing, rude people.......!!! We'll have a good time whatever, we always do on any holiday and I am hoping I will be pleasantly surprised! (sorry went a bit off topic!).

I'm due to go on IOTS next month (my first cruise on a large ship; previously I have only sailed on Star Clipper and Seadream Yacht Club). When we saw that the drinks packages had been introduced we thought it was a great idea as from what I have read drinks prices are expensive are on board; we enjoy a drink or two on holiday, and whilst we are not on a tight budget it seemed a good way to control cost.

We thought that the $39 per person per day package seemed fair and reasonable if you have a beer or two during the day and pre dinner cocktails, wine with dinner etc and I am disappointed to read about the abuse and sharing that appears to have taken place. It seems a shame that what is hopefully a minority have spoiled it for others.

I have to admit I'm getting a little apprehensive about the cruise - the more I read the more I am very unsure about what it will be like; I keep reading reviews about lack of seating, queuing, rude people.......!!! We'll have a good time whatever, we always do on any holiday and I am hoping I will be pleasantly surprised! (sorry went a bit off topic!).
    We had exactly the same concerns before we went too. RCI had overbooked and were phoning people willing to be bumped, then there was all that Norovirus scare where the Windjammer and Johnny Rockets were closed for a few days, but we had an absolutely fantastic time and I know you will too. The ship was full, but it is huge remember!

There were queues, but there were not as bad as some are saying and certainly no more than a few minutes in our experience. Even queueing to return to the ship the longest we queued was only about 5 mins. The Ice Show ticket queuing was a farce, but we only queued for literally 2-3 minutes for those.

On the rude comment, yes, there were people who were rude and I think on average you will inevitably find those when there are 4000 passengers on board. In my experience, and I know I will be extremely contentious here with my generalisation, but it is the more elderly that seem to complain incessantly about petty things and are certainly the most rude; they seem to think their age gives them privileges that don't need manners any more - whatever happened to P's and Q's - you don't even need a package for those! There said it now, just waiting for the retorts...!!!

I really hope that you will enjoy your trip as much as we did, she's a lovely ship.

As recently said, we have just returned from cruise on the IOS and I think this is getting just a little out of proportion - we went to every bar at one time or another and although we saw a few people the worse for wear, the vast majority were ok, there were certainly not 'hundreds of drunken people staggering around' :-) -
    I suggest that cruisers have been buying the drinks package and to make sure they get value for money are drinking far too much for what is good for them. The last thing I want to do is go on a cruise with hundreds of drunks staggering around the ship and is not conclusive for a happy cruising atmosphere. There is also the side of making sure nobody under 18 on the cruise does not get hold of alcohol and sounds as if some families are not controlling there own children.

We were on the same time as you and we hardly saw any drunken people at all, I am not saying the system is not being abused but we need to get this in perspective maybe :-)) -
    Just been reading all the comments about the drinks package on the IOTS. We were on the cruise 25thMar/5thApril and yes we took the $39 per person package. Firstly we never saw any of the so called drunks on the ship and we used most of the bars. Some days we didn't drink $39 worth of drinks but other days we did so all in all it probably worked out even. The bonus was that we could get a glass of house wine in the dining room which otherwise was rather expensive. I said straight away that the system was open to abuse and even without trying saw lots of different ways how passengers were 'cheating' the system. The bar staff that we spoke to said there was a lot of upset with the staff because they were losing out on the 15% tip.Obviously with what i have just read this is all getting sorted out but whether it is worth the new amounts i'm not sure.

Really do not worry, the queues were no worse than any other ship I have been on and you will always get a minority of rude people, don't let it bother you, I know you will have a great time and try the Pyramid lounge in the evening's the resident group 'ROCK THE BOAT' are the best I have seen on any cruise line so far - ENJOY !!! -

Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast