Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Cruise Ratings on this site vary greatly.

Hi I often read the review section and find that different reviewers have vastly different cruise experiences even on the same voyage. I do not find this too surprising! However, I have detected one common factor which influences the rating score, those new to cruising are more likely to award a high score (4-5 stars) to their review. Do you think more experienced cruisers have become more discerning in their assessments, standards have fallen during the last few years or can you suggest any other reason for this?

Last edited by Alan, Newcastle-upon-Tyne; 12th December 2011 at 04:16 PM.

Images
    Do you think more experienced cruisers have become more discerning in their assessments, standards have fallen during the last few years

Yes to both...IMHO

Photography derived from the Greek photos- for "light" and -graphos for "drawing​

Thomson Majesty Hellenic Classics May1st 2015

Images
    Quote QUOTE: View Post
    Hi I often read the review section and find that different reviewers have vastly different cruise experiences even on the same voyage. I do not find this too surprising! However, I have detected one common factor which influences the rating score, those new to cruising are more likely to award a high score (4-5 stars) to review. Do you think more experienced cruisers have become more discerning in their assessments, standards have fallen during the last few years or can you suggest any other reason for this?
    I can only speak from personal experience Alan. I remember that OH and myself were so smitten with our first cruise that I returned and did a 5* review on here. First time cruisers of course, have no yardstick and if the cruise was generally good, then why wouldn't you award it 5 stars?

A few cruises down the line and comparing different cruise lines, I tend to see things differently and make comparisons. In hindsight, maybe I would write that first review a little differently- although my OH still says it's his favourite ship.

Jill

Images
    I dismay when I read 'Standards have fallen'!!!!!!! Of course they have, along with ticket prices.

What the hell do people expect? If folks want to experience the same standards of 10 years ago then book a higher grade cruise and pay the relative additional amount.

Personally I have enjoyed the drop in standards over the last 10 years, cruising two or three times a year as a result, instead of the once a year of 10 years ago.

Add to that, some want a 5 star cruise then moan about 5 star prices for drinks and services onboard.

Then we get OMG! We had to pay $5 for a shuttle bus!!!!!! So what?

The fact the cruise probably cost quite a few hundred quid less than their previous sailings doesn't enter their heads..........Wilba

Wilba

I agree with you. The first cruise we took a number of years ago cost more than many cruises do now.

Also as a child I was taken on a transatlantic crossing, I dread to think how much that would be if the amount was converted into today's money. Please don't ask what it cost as I was only very young.

Yes there were shipboard prices for alcohol and very few extras, however it is not necessary to eat in the speciality dining restaurants and whilst the alcohol is dearer, it is choice whether to cut down on this.

As for gratuities, well I'll not mention that enough has been said.

I have to say for me, if i've had a good holiday then i would do a good review. A stain on the carpet or a queue at breakfast doesn't worry me. I've just got off Arcadia after a 3 day mini break and my husband and i had a fabulous time, but there were a lot of people moaning about one thing or another.
    I agree with Wilba and Bernherd people expect far to much but just aren't willing to pay for it........................................Carol

Images
    I can understand some cruisers have a few problems which are serious, but quite honestly, in the main, when I see some of the 3 and 4* ratings for a ship I have sailed on and thought it 5*, overall, I do wonder what these folk are used to. I would not, for instance, allow a couple of poor shows, for which I might rate as 3*, colour an overall potential 5* rating. I wasn't impressed with the tours offered on our last cruise...but I still gave a 5* overall with caveats on the tours.
    I have read reports about food, and I've wondered if I'd been on the same cruise. I sometimes wonder if my standards are very low...and then I think again because I KNOW they're not! Am I too easy going? May be, don't know but, as I've said before, I do not take any review seriously unless I know the reviewer or have a good idea of his/her travel history and what he she is used to.

Last edited by Mrs M; 12th December 2011 at 05:17 PM.

It is all subjective after all and the old adage of " familiarity breeds etc..." certainly plays a factor.
    Standards are bound to fall as the "headline price" is what attracts most people, and the market is much more crowded than even 5 years ago.
    I have just been clearing some drawers and came across a P&O promotional VHS and brochure sent to me in 2000 - the prices were about 20% higher than today!

I think some people will give an objective rating based on the ship, facilities and services, whereas others will simply rate their enjoyment of the holiday. If I had a super holiday on a 3* ship, I would give 3 stars for the ship, not 5 stars for the holiday.

That's a difficult question. My first solo voyage was on QM2 thanks to an amazing offer on this site. That has become my benchmark - until I get a few more cruises under my belt!

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast