Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

P&O Excursions - wheelchairs

Hi, me again

More questions about our first cruise

We are on Ventura in April 2012, we will have an electric wheelchair user and a manual wheelchair user, both need accessible transport for excursions. As well as 2 able bodied adults and a 12 year old.

We are visiting Rome, and would really like to do the sightseeing stuff.

How likely is the ship able to provide a tour?

Has anyone been on an accessible tour of Rome organised by P&O? Any advise or tips to share?

Has anyone book their own accessible tour with a private company and if so how did it work out?

Which would be best P&O or a private company (any recommendations)?

I must also say I'm terrified of missing the ship if we don't get back in time.

You should ask P&O as the ships tours are normally done on coaches which can take an assortment of chairs but the passengers need to be able to climb onto the coach they may at a cost be able to put you in contact with someone who supplies transport with a lift platform if that is what you need.
    I would go for the private tour and take a tour round Rome that way they have an underground coach park with moving walk ways but one you get to the Vatican we found it limiting have a wheel chair as it was not very good for the passenger.

There are some ports where P&O have wheelchair accessible buses but I think this is dependent on availabilty at a particular port.
    Brian

There is a very good Disability section on the P&O forum where you may find the answer to your question if not just ask and I'm sure someone will be able to help you.

Jo

Images
    Quote QUOTE: View Post
    Hi, me again

More questions about our first cruise

We are on Ventura in April 2012, we will have an electric wheelchair user and a manual wheelchair user, both need accessible transport for excursions. As well as 2 able bodied adults and a 12 year old.

We are visiting Rome, and would really like to do the sightseeing stuff.

How likely is the ship able to provide a tour?

Has anyone been on an accessible tour of Rome organised by P&O? Any advise or tips to share?

Has anyone book their own accessible tour with a private company and if so how did it work out?

Which would be best P&O or a private company (any recommendations)?

I must also say I'm terrified of missing the ship if we don't get back in time.
    The Rome tour for wheelchairs it's no more expensive than the ordinary tour, the brochure does say that if they can't fill the mini bus then you have to pay the extra seats, however this was not the case.
    The tour is a long day, a crew members goes with you however when you get there you are unloaded and more or less left to your own devices and Rome in a wheelchair just ain't much fun.
    Then there is the problem with finding lunch.
    I think in this case I would research a private firm, I am at the moment looking at trips for next summer from the IOS as Royal Caribbean are much more wheelchair friendly both in the ship design and the attitude of the crew toward wheelchair users.
    Make sure you plan your day well and get as much information as you can.
    The Colosseum has a lift, access is not smooth but it is possible.

thanks for the info, it makes it so much easier when people are willing to share their experiences.

debs

Images
    There are some ports where P&O have wheelchair accessible buses but I think this is dependent on availabilty at a particular port.
    Brian
    Barcelona has a free shuttle for those that can climb the stairs, wheelchair users have to use the port bus and pay.

Images
    thanks for the info, it makes it so much easier when people are willing to share their experiences.

debs
    Have a look at this thread

http://www.cruises.co.uk/695-useful_...ility_sea.html

Hi My mum uses a manual wheelchair and I push. Not many of the ship's excursions are suitable for the disabled. We have found that many of the HOHO buses which come down to the cruise terminal can accomodate wheelchairs on the lower deck and so it is possible to undertake a city centre tour easily and at less expense than using the ship's tours. If you can get into the city of Rome, some but not all of the HOHO buses, can take wheelchairs. They usually take a couple of hours to go round the sites but you can get off of the ones you are interested in seeing more fully. I enclose a web page of one such company Taxis are a good bet albeit they can be expensive. On one occassion we asked a taxi driver to take us around but said he knew a fellow driver who operated purposed built disabled adapted taxi and radioed him to come to the cruise terminal to take us. Most people we have encountered are very helpful.

Open Bus Hop-On Hop Off Tour in Rome - Tour Rome

Last edited by Alan, Newcastle-upon-Tyne; 17th August 2011 at 03:56 PM.

Hi My mum uses a manual wheelchair and I push. Not many of the ship's excursions are suitable for the disabled. We have found that many of the HOHO buses which come down to the cruise terminal can accomodate wheelchairs on the lower deck and so it is possible to undertake a city centre tour easily and at less expense than using the ship's tours. If you can get into the city of Rome, some but not all of the HOHO buses, can take wheelchairs. They usually take a couple of hours to go round the sites but you can get off of the ones you are interested in seeing more fully. I enclose a web page of one such company Taxis are a good bet albeit they can be expensive. On one occassion we asked a taxi driver to take us around but said he knew a fellow driver who operated purposed built disabled adapted taxi and radioed him to come to the cruise terminal to take us. Most people we have encountered are very helpful.

Open Bus Hop-On Hop Off Tour in Rome - Tour Rome
    WOW thanks for this info Alan, really useful. Do you know if we could get an electric wheelchair on these buses, it's too heavy to tip back and manually push it on to bus. Also is it possible to accommodate more than 1 wheelchair on a bus at the same time. (visited York, buses were wheelchair friendly but some drivers and only some wouldn't have more than 1 wheelchair on at a time). I have never heard of the HOHO buses so will look into that.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast