Insider view of a NCL Pearl cruise

I watched this video again last night - it followed a documentary about the Costa Concordia sinking...

Cruise Inc. – Full Length Show - CNBC
    Big money on the high seas..

It gives a very good insider view of an average NCL cruise.

Images
    will take a look at this as we are on the NCL Pearl in April.

MAL

Images
    A very interesting insight as to how mass-market ships are money-making machines. Although all cruise lines have the same purpose, NCL do seem to be masters of the 'additional surcharge'.

(11,000 cameras per ship - big brother is watching!)

Last edited by Malcolm, Essex; 20th February 2012 at 11:22 PM.

The programme seems to appear every 3 or 4 months on NBC Channel.....the bit that stays with me is the CD asking at the beginning of the cruise, if they're all ready to start making money!
    Jo.

Images
    Interesting to hear how much wages the head cabin steward was on. 2500$ a month. Was that with or without tips.

MAL

Quote QUOTE: View Post
    Interesting to hear how much wages the head cabin steward was on. 2500$ a month. Was that with or without tips.
    That is providing all his passengers pay their gratuities...

Images
    hat is providing all his passengers pay their gratuities...
    I do not think it wise to go there.

MAL

I do not think it wise to go there.
    That is how much he makes based on receiving gratuities for all of his rooms- usually 17-19 rooms. Their basic pay without gratuities is only $50 per month. $2500 is what he can expect to make,all being well...

That is how much he makes based on receiving gratuities for all of his rooms- usually 17-19 rooms. Their basic pay without gratuities is only $50 per month. $2500 is what he can expect to make,all being well...

Not a bad wage considering he does not pay income tax, no rent, house insurance, no heating or food bills! Think that person is doing better than meself! Must reconsider my gratuite paying strategy!!!

Not a bad wage considering he does not pay income tax, no rent, house insurance, no heating or food bills! Think that person is doing better than meself! Must reconsider my gratuite paying strategy!!!
    I don't think I'd do it for that Tom - that is 0800-1300 then 1700-2200 every day. Seven days a week - the average contract is for 6-9 months depending on job.. they get the afternoon hrs off to rest or go off the ship when in port, but it only looks like a good wage if you are from a country with much lower incomes.