Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

MSC v P&O v Princess

Have cruised four times with Princess (absolutely loved them all ), once with P & O (never again ), once Island Cruises (not keen) and have booked Rio to Venice with MSC Musica next March. Will I be disappointed?

Highly unlikely. I have just returned from a MSC Cruise ( Poesia), yes its expensive on board & if your looking for anything British, forget it. But the Italian food was superb, the Boat excellent, Service more than adequate, Entertainment acceptable ( Its European designed for all nationalities), but in relation to the other cruise lines you mention, ita a step above. I might even be on this cruise with you.

Images
    Quote QUOTE: View Post
    Highly unlikely. I have just returned from a MSC Cruise ( Poesia), yes its expensive on board & if your looking for anything British, forget it. But the Italian food was superb, the Boat excellent, Service more than adequate, Entertainment acceptable ( Its European designed for all nationalities), but in relation to the other cruise lines you mention, ita a step above. I might even be on this cruise with you.
    Been with MSC six times and never been disappointed also been on RCI (x2), NCL, P&O, Carnival (x2), Airtours (x2).

Bear in mind they are nicknamed "The Marmite" line as you either love them or hate them.

Pros. (IMHO)
    Fabulous ships (except Melody)
    Italian food (which I love)
    Price ( if you get one of their deals)
    Kids cruise free if under 18 and share a room with 2 adults ( flights , taxes, and some grats are payable)
    MSC club( probably the most generous there is)
    Priority boarding if you do Express check-in on line or are an MSC club member
    Well organised excursions (but pricey)
    Friendly staff ( though there are horror stories about this aspect but I've never seen it myself)
    Great Itineraries

Cons (IMHO)
    English is the 4th or 5th language ( this does't bother me and makes lifeboat drill a real interesting but lengthy experience)
    Rooms are just adequate, but spotless
    Balconies are only 66 sq. ft (unless you are in a suite)
    Some queuing, or lack of it, problems , sharp elbows help.

I really hope you are in the "love them" camp

Pete

Last edited by Pete, Caerphilly; 20th June 2011 at 01:57 PM.
    Pete

If I can't be SKIING then CRUISING is the next best thing

Images
    Have cruised four times with Princess (absolutely loved them all ), once with P & O (never again ), once Island Cruises (not keen) and have booked Rio to Venice with MSC Musica next March. Will I be disappointed?
    Yes I think you will. Comparing MSC to Princess is akin to comparing Aldi to Waitrose, two very different standards of service, food and entertainment. I will say their newer ships are up there with any of the 4 star cruise lines and are sparklingly clean, so providing you paid a bargain basement price, it should return good value for money. But better than Princess?.........No Way!

Wilba

We are booked on this cruise, from what I have gathered will be great. had contact with a couple of other couples who enquired about going as a group on some trips.
    Where about are you on the ship ?

Denny

We just returned yesterday from our first cruise with MSC Opera (Southampton to Norway). Our ship was small (2000 passengers, 701 crew members) but immaculate. The staff was friendly and really worked hard to make everyone happy. The passengers were a mix of English (majority), German, Italian (next largest group), Spanish, Portuguese, and others.... We ate breakfast and lunch mostly at the cafeteria-buffet, which could be crowded, noisy, and chaotic, but can't fault the food. Evenings we ate in our assigned dining rooms and the food was very, very good there, also. The staff was impeccable.

The entertainment was a bit uneven. The dancers were all young people and a bit amateurish, but not bad. The singers (older and especially one opera-style singer) were amazing.

This was our first cruise ever and so first with MSC. We've probably decided cruising isn't for us, but not due to our MSC experience. I hope you're not disappointed in yours.

Yes I think you will. Comparing MSC to Princess is akin to comparing Aldi to Waitrose, two very different standards of service, food and entertainment. I will say their newer ships are up there with any of the 4 star cruise lines and are sparklingly clean, so providing you paid a bargain basement price, it should return good value for money. But better than Princess?.........No Way!
    I guess this is a matter of opinion Wilba, I have sailed on both and to my mind there is really very little difference between them, apart from the fact that Princess seem to rip you off every given chance.

Images
    I guess this is a matter of opinion Wilba, I have sailed on both and to my mind there is really very little difference between them, apart from the fact that Princess seem to rip you off every given chance.
    Of course it is a matter of opinion, but up until this year this very site put out customer satisfaction figures and MSC were at or near the bottom of the pile year on year.

Princess on the other hand were up there with Celebrity and the likes. All a matter of public opinion of course ...........Wilba

Wilba

To be honest those who knock cruise lines other than the ones they sail on usually have NOT sailed with them.

Cruise Critic put MSC third above Princess. While the Italians put them 1st/2nd alongside Costa. matter of personal choice?

Have sailed with almost every line I hold no favourite but speak as I find, yes MSC and Costa are not to everyones taste and the moaners are normally those British thet I would hate to sail with, moaning about everything that is not English/American or tastes funny.

[QUOTE=JanieUK, Kent;272942]

Hi Janie, It's interesting you call Opera small with 2,000 passengers but I suppose she is compared to the really huge ships. We are booked on her in August and your comments are reassurring. Sorry you haven't taken to cruising

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast