Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
    Quote QUOTE: View Post
    We have returned recently from the Xmas and New Year Cruise on the QE2.
    Previously we have cruised on the Queen Mary and the Victoria so we were fully aware of what to expect.
    The QE2 is one of the best "liners"(not cruise ship) we have been on and we have few complaints. The QE2 was spotless and hygiene standards were extremely high. We would never have any hesitation in booking a Cunard cruise again although we did find the Queen Mary a bit too large for our liking.
    As with other cruises, our pet hate is the 15% service charge levied on drinks in the bars and in the restaurants which we believe is self defeating for the cruise line as it simply discourages people from enjoying drinks in the evening.
    We do like a bottle of wine with our evening meal but having to pay 40+ dollars in total for a Zifandel which costs less than £10 in a pub, does seem rather extortionate and led us to making a bottle last for two evenings instead of enjoying a leisurely drink with our evening meal.
    We are recommended to pay a 15% service charge which is added to a cruise bill anyway, so why is there a need to pay another 15% on drinks? If the service charge is designed to encourage people not to drink then it must be a successful policy
    because it certainly discouraged us. Nevertheless, our drinks bill alone came to over £400 which is a lot of money to pay in addition to the service charge for the cruise.
    Lovely cruise ship, which we throroughly enjoyed but not the service charge on drinks.
    By the way, when you get your drinks bill, there is an additional space on the bill for "tips" so if you wish you can give the staff an additional tip over and above the 15% you have already been charged, then you are able to do so
    Baz
    Evening Baz.

As you say, you have sailed on several Cunard ships and you also say that you 'were fully aware of what to expect' - so I'm surprised that you still find the service charge and the price of Zinfandel an issue. Accept the service charge and accept the cost of Zinfandel on Cunard and buy a bottle per night and enjoy.

I've not been on P&O for a couple of years now but at that time their house wine was Zinfandel (or very similar) and came in (from memory) around £15 per carafe. There was also no 15% service charge. Could P&O be the answer to your problem?

cheers
    Harvey

Cunard is American owned, hence the added 15% and a space to add even more if you wish

Honestly I have more of an issue with the excessive mark up on bottles of wine than I have with the 15%.

I agree 15% on top of a reasonable cost of the drink would be acceptable.

It is not just drinks that Cunard levies 15% on as I discovered when I ordered a cigar on QV!

Anything that is bought in a bar is subject to 15% Service charge & when in Spanish waters this increases to 23% as the Spanish tax of 8% is added as well.

]

When you can bag a balcony cabin on such a magnificent ship as QM2 for a little over £100 per night, should you not expect on-board prices to be higher than the norm?

I know I did.

Bob

When you can bag a balcony cabin on such a magnificent ship as QM2 for a little over £100 per night, should you not expect on-board prices to be higher than the norm?

I know I did.

Bob
    Its not about how much something is, Its about paying the price that is displayed get rid of the charge & include it in the base price that's what the issue is.

]

Its not about how much something is, Its about paying the price that is displayed get rid of the charge & include it in the base price that's what the issue is.
    That's fine by me tuggy, but either way we'll pay the same. It doesn't take a lot of working out, does it?

Bob

That's fine by me tuggy, but either way we'll pay the same. It doesn't take a lot of working out, does it?

Bob
    I do believe that it is also fine with others So why on earth do they not do it, By removing any form of Concealed charges & displaying the actual price would remove all this Animosity about service charges.

]

I do believe that it is also fine with others So why on earth do they not do it, By removing any form of Concealed charges & displaying the actual price would remove all this Animosity about service charges.
    We're not in disagreement tuggy, I would be happy to see all pricing in simple terms. My initial post was just a general comment about those who complain about the high prices on beautiful ships.

Bob

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast