• Ahoy there! Why not join the UK’s largest cruising forum? The Cruise.co.uk forum is the perfect place to meet and interact with likeminded cruisers to have invaluable conversations. Whether you're a veteran cruiser or looking to set sail on the sea for the first time, everyone is welcome on our forum to participate in the hottest conversations in the cruising world. So, what are you waiting for? Join the forum today by clicking here to register!

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Should weather/sea conditions questions be banned

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by hat776, malta View Post
    I think that anyone who has enough IT knowledge to ask a weather question on a forum or Q & A site would have enough IT knowledge to get the average weather statistics on-line. But maybe it's not that straight forward or easy to understand if you want sea conditions. Reading that there are 5 foot waves or Force 8 wind wouldn't mean much to many people.
    Common sense...as usual Hat!

If folk want to ask, let them. If one thinks it's a foolish enquiry, sigh in frustration and shake your head by all means and either answer patiently or ignore and move on.

There are hundreds and thousand out there who feel the need to be comforted with a 'definitive answer', even if it turns out to be not quite as definitive as they would have liked.

If having 'answers' help folk look forward to their holiday with more anticipation/less trepidation, call it a comfort blanket.

Comment

Originally posted by Mrs M View Post
      Common sense...as usual Hat!

If folk want to ask, let them. If one thinks it's a foolish enquiry, sigh in frustration and shake your head by all means and either answer patiently or ignore and move on.

There are hundreds and thousand out there who feel the need to be comforted with a 'definitive answer', even if it turns out to be not quite as definitive as they would have liked.

If having 'answers' help folk look forward to their holiday with more anticipation/less trepidation, call it a comfort blanket.
      I agree wholeheartedly Mrs M.. I LOVE cruising, but HATE rough seas. Stupid, I know, and totally illogical but I need to be reassured if I'm going through the Bay of Biscay, even though any amount of reassurance won't change sea conditions. Also a question opens up dialogue with other forum members. Some of us aren't as confident as others, so be kind. Thanks Mary

Comment

I know that some people wince when they read:"Are beach towels provided?" and other such- but when we started cruising, this forum didn't exist, so we had no idea about several things- yes, we packed beach towels, which took up too much room for flying, and so we always have sympathy for first-timers' questions, be it weather, destinations or sea conditions.
        Jo.

Comment

Originally posted by jan lowden, sunderland (2) View Post
          You do realise that some of you are coming across as quite unfriendly on this forum,not the sort of cruisers i would like to meet,thinking just because YOU know something,EVERYONE should know it!Please be nice! Jan.
          Obviously you seem to be referring to my post, as you quoted it.

When we first cruised 10 years ago, I was not aware of, or a member of, any cruise forum, if they existed then. SO, we had no recourse to the experience of others, BUT we read the brochure and we actually got it right, first time. It's actually quite simple if you are literate, have an iota of common sense and are are computer savvy enough to join any forum, and post............that must have taken at least Googling or being referred by a friend.

Therefore, IMO, some are being lazy in not researching these matters for themselves AND, responses are not always accurate as far as weather condition are concerned because they vary, even in the same month, on a yearly basis.

If a member of this forum asked about weather in Greenland, I could honestly say that it was absolutely fantastic: sitting on our balcony in shorts and short sleeves with the sun shining, BUT this is not always the case, especially in this area of the wordl.....just read todays news of a disaster there and snow...........maybe not on the tourist area but nevertheless, snow.

So, how would this help anyone cruising there at the same time of year as we did?? Conditions could be as we researched, a high if 2 or 3 degrees BUT they weren't.

Many have cruised the fjords in great weather, our experience was as far opposed as possible.

Australia, in the height of their summer was cold and wet in Sydney BUT again, probably most who visit there, in their summer, enjoy warm conditions.

Weather varies, even in the same place at the same time of year; you only have to consider the UK recently to appreciate that fact.
          Last edited by Diva18, UK; 1st May 2013, 09:21 PM. Reason: additional info in last few paragraphs

Comment

Diva nothing can be as unpredictable as the weather. Even here in Malta, where last month was the warmest April for ages , you can't predict. For example even though most of April was warm and sunny , there were a few days when it was dull and rainy. People ask 'is it t-shirt and shorts weather in xxxx' regularly on Trip Advisor. There's always some one who answers that they are polishing their crystal ball, but I always say that weather is unpredictable so it could be but there could be some cooler days so come prepared.

Comment

Originally posted by Diva18, UK View Post
              The difference between a northerly or southern crossing of the Atlantic is basic information to anyone who has an iota of common, sense, or education, and need not be tirelessly brought up on the forum. Same for the Bay of Biscay and other notorious crossings, Gulf de Lyon is just one. Ditto the Med.Pacific, Indian Ocean etc.They can ALL have bad sea conditions, whatever the season.

We have done both crossings, north and south Atlantic, at different times of the year, and each time the weather was vastly different, after all....... it's weather!!!

Look it up, it's not rocket science!

Posted at 23.14 or thereabouts. (Saves looking it up.)
              Crossing the Atlantic!going to the West Indies a ship,will always take the southern route,going to New York/Canada a ship,will always take the great circle route(or composite)((shortest distance between 2points on the earths surface))Of course a prudent aster will take an alternate route if the planned one passes through heavy weather.
              We did this on the Arcadia returning from Iceland(heavy weather ahead,master plotted a course further out in to the Atlantic.

Jim

Comment

Originally posted by Jocap, Cumbria View Post
                I know that some people wince when they read:"Are beach towels provided?" and other such- but when we started cruising, this forum didn't exist, so we had no idea about several things- yes, we packed beach towels, which took up too much room for flying, and so we always have sympathy for first-timers' questions, be it weather, destinations or sea conditions.
                We have all, if we care to admit it, made elementary mistakes one way or another, although it does look as though one person has never made an error. Learning is often a matter of experiencing an event and no matter how much is written about it there are times when life turns round and bites you on the bum. Sometimes it can even be fatal but most times it is the way we learn.

Life doesn't always provide you with the opportunity to look it up and other times it is as easy to turn to the nearest person and ask directions.

In this case the nearest "person" is often someone on this site or on the Forum and if we are going to be so inflexible about not allowing people to ask then just think of that next time you ask for directions on the street and say to yourself, "I should have brought my sat-nav with me so that I don't have to ask".

Please don't be so petty minded as to refuse people the chance to ask; just turn to another page and let somebody else answer, because, on here, somebody always does answer. ....Neil

Comment

Originally posted by Neil Down, Southampton View Post
                  We have all, if we care to admit it, made elementary mistakes one way or another, although it does look as though one person has never made an error. Learning is often a matter of experiencing an event and no matter how much is written about it there are times when life turns round and bites you on the bum. Sometimes it can even be fatal but most times it is the way we learn.

Life doesn't always provide you with the opportunity to look it up and other times it is as easy to turn to the nearest person and ask directions.

In this case the nearest "person" is often someone on this site or on the Forum and if we are going to be so inflexible about not allowing people to ask then just think of that next time you ask for directions on the street and say to yourself, "I should have brought my sat-nav with me so that I don't have to ask".

Please don't be so petty minded as to refuse people the chance to ask; just turn to another page and let somebody else answer, because, on here, somebody always does answer. ....Neil
                  Hear Hear Neil,common sense prevails. Jan.

Comment

We use cookies to give you the
                  best experience possible.

By continuing to use our website you
                  agree to our cookie policy

Working...
                  X