• Ahoy there! Why not join the UK’s largest cruising forum? The Cruise.co.uk forum is the perfect place to meet and interact with likeminded cruisers to have invaluable conversations. Whether you're a veteran cruiser or looking to set sail on the sea for the first time, everyone is welcome on our forum to participate in the hottest conversations in the cruising world. So, what are you waiting for? Join the forum today by clicking here to register!

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Paying a Penny to help NHS

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Paying a Penny to help NHS

From what I read recently, a lot of people are in favour of paying an extra penny to help fund the NHS.

On the face of it, it seems little enough to ask, though a dark thought has crept into my brain.

As the underlying idea is to destroy the NHS in covert ways, and promote privatisation, is it possible that more stringent cuts would be made in various services on order to wipe out the funding people would be creating?

Can someone tell me that could not happen?

Quite Happy to pay more tax if it goes into the NHS.
    Had this conversation with a nurse the other day,and IMO the NHS cannot be all things to all mankind. They need to get back to the basic health issues, not funding Boob jobs and sex changes? and cosmetic stuff ,but it will be a brave politician who puts that into practice...Taffy
    ​Taffy

Comment

I'd be more than happy for them to stick a penny on income tax..
      Regards
      Garfield

Comment

......and that goes for me too, as long as it's not used for painting perfectly serviceable car park bollards as they were when I passed my local hospital today.

The money needs to be spent where it is needed within the hospital for medical treatment and patient care only during this critical financial period in time.
        sigpic
        Cruisings Cool

Comment

Originally posted by Taffy, Wales View Post
          Quite Happy to pay more tax if it goes into the NHS.
          Had this conversation with a nurse the other day,and IMO the NHS cannot be all things to all mankind. They need to get back to the basic health issues, not funding Boob jobs and sex changes? and cosmetic stuff ,but it will be a brave politician who puts that into practice...Taffy
          Agreed.

Why people need a prescription for paracetamol is beyond me.

Annie

Comment

Hi all
            What do you think of the idea coming from some think tanks and David Willetts (two brains ex Tory MP) that people over pensionable age still working should carry on paying NI.
            This would be a hypothecated tax used solely for NHS funding and raise a reported £2.3bn a year.

What about those pensioners still working to make ends meet?...Means tested maybe?

Surely it's not fair that someone on MW should shoulder the cost of the NHS,when someone,just because of age,earning £50k a year pays nothing in National Insurance.
            JC
            C P Scott,,,,,"Comment is Free,,but Facts are Sacred"
            "You are entitled to your opinion. But you are not entitled to your own facts.

Comment

I agree..tax those that can afford it..not those that can't.
              Just think how many we could get off the dole to administer means testing.
              Regards
              Garfield

Comment

Originally posted by jc, liverpool View Post
                Hi all
                What do you think of the idea coming from some think tanks and David Willetts (two brains ex Tory MP) that people over pensionable age still working should carry on paying NI.
                This would be a hypothecated tax used solely for NHS funding and raise a reported £2.3bn a year.

What about those pensioners still working to make ends meet?...Means tested maybe?

Surely it's not fair that someone on MW should shoulder the cost of the NHS,when someone,just because of age,earning £50k a year pays nothing in National Insurance.
                JC
                I have no issues with that.

I have not thought this all the way through but the millions of pensioners whose income exceeds the equivalent of a full-time employee on NMW should make some NI contribution.

They should scrap this £10 Christmas Bonus and redirect the funds.

That said, I am not convinced the NHS is as efficient as it could be.

Annie
                Last edited by annie, Glasgow; 7th June 2018, 07:03 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Garfield, Waterlooville View Post
                  I agree..tax those that can afford it..not those that can't.
                  Just think how many we could get off the dole to administer means testing.
                  Regards
                  Garfield
                  Hi Garfie

You don't need to employ people to conduct means testing. The government is already in possession of the requisite data.

Plenty of fruit picking jobs available

Annie

Comment

Hi Annie
                    You don't actually mean make the tax man work for a living do you.
                    That's far too radical thinking.
                    Regards
                    Garfield

Comment

Originally posted by Garfield, Waterlooville View Post
                      Hi Annie
                      You don't actually mean make the tax man work for a living do you.
                      That's far too radical thinking.
                      Regards
                      Garfield
                      I think I could write the spec for a computer program to deliver the required outcome.

It is not rocket science.

Annie

Comment

Originally posted by annie, Glasgow View Post
                        I have no issues with that.

I have not thought this all the way through but the millions of pensioners whose income exceeds the equivalent of a full-time employee on NMW should make some NI contribution.

They should scrap this £10 Christmas Bonus and redirect the funds.

That said, I am not convinced the NHS is as efficient as it could be.

Annie
                        There certainly are efficiencies to be found in the NHS, and perhaps staff could be redeployed, although clearly there would be employee relations issues to take in to account.

I attend the hospital every quarter and on my visit I'll see 3 nurses to start with to take my blood pressure and measure my weight - one of them is a Sister and notes the results - why this takes three I'm not sure.

Then see a doctor to discuss general well being, then another nurse to take blood tests, before then seeing a pharmacist to get the prescription for my medication that I then pick up from the pharmacy, who provide the same advice as the pharmacist in the clinic.

Comment

Originally posted by 1fifthavenue, birmingham View Post
                          There certainly are efficiencies to be found in the NHS, and perhaps staff could be redeployed, although clearly there would be employee relations issues to take in to account.

I attend the hospital every quarter and on my visit I'll see 3 nurses to start with to take my blood pressure and measure my weight - one of them is a Sister and notes the results - why this takes three I'm not sure.

Then see a doctor to discuss general well being, then another nurse to take blood tests, before then seeing a pharmacist to get the prescription for my medication that I then pick up from the pharmacy, who provide the same advice as the pharmacist in the clinic.
                          I have witnessed and experienced similar.

In the meantime nurses are run off their feet in A&E and other acute units.

Annie

Comment

I work for the NHS but would be happy if more of my tax money went to it. Unfortunately there are people who do take the proverbial in terms of missing appointments which cost our trust in Manchester about £160. Still, for all its problems our NHS is amazing for what it does and provides.

Take care, Helen

Comment

Originally posted by Mason, Altrincham View Post
                              I work for the NHS but would be happy if more of my tax money went to it. Unfortunately there are people who do take the proverbial in terms of missing appointments which cost our trust in Manchester about £160. Still, for all its problems our NHS is amazing for what it does and provides.

Take care, Helen
                              Simple solution - those who miss appointments without a valid reason, (note to Garfie - potential job creating role ), I would bill them.

OTOH I turned up for my physio appointment one day with a senior physio who could not take me because she was instructed to cover the phones as staff were in an admin meeting. Doh??

Annie

Comment

We use cookies to give you the
                              best experience possible.

By continuing to use our website you
                              agree to our cookie policy

Working...
                              X