• Ahoy there! Why not join the UK’s largest cruising forum? The Cruise.co.uk forum is the perfect place to meet and interact with likeminded cruisers to have invaluable conversations. Whether you're a veteran cruiser or looking to set sail on the sea for the first time, everyone is welcome on our forum to participate in the hottest conversations in the cruising world. So, what are you waiting for? Join the forum today by clicking here to register!

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

What's your view on Uber?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I usually just use a local firm or after a few beverages just hop in the closest taxi. In London I always use black cabs and never have an issue catching one as they are all over. My best mate did the knowledge and still drives a cab in London. I saw how tough and how much they had to learn to pass and would hate to see this disappear due to the emergence of Uber and other minicab companies.

Comment

Originally posted by Malcolm, Essex View Post
      Duncan, does coffee help you live longer?
      Doubtful, but the exercise you're required to do each week to earn the coffee probably does!
      Duncan S

See my blog!

Comment

Originally posted by 1fifthavenue, birmingham View Post
        I find it quite ironic how many of my friends protest about poor workers rights, how the Government will dissolve them once we leave the EU, how big corporations don't pay enough tax yet they all have Apple phones, Amazon Prime subscriptions, trainers from Sports Direct, drink Starbucks and travel everywhere by Uber, but of course it's the government's fault, not theirs for supporting such companies...
        Plus one

Annie

Comment

I find it quite ironic how many of my friends protest about poor workers rights, how the Government will dissolve them once we leave the EU, how big corporations don't pay enough tax yet they all have Apple phones, Amazon Prime subscriptions, trainers from Sports Direct, drink Starbucks and travel everywhere by Uber, but of course it's the government's fault, not theirs for supporting such companies...
          It's the governments job to legislate to ensure tax revenues are collected. Amazon, as with all companies large enough to justify it, have an army of accountants and lawyers to ensure they minimise tax liability within the bounds of the law.

The same is true for personal tax. The more you have the easier it is to justify paying someone to minimise your tax liability.

It may be morally questionable, but it's inevitable. It's governments handing out these tax benefits, and the EU who are trying to crack down on it.
          Last edited by dst87, Falkirk; 13th December 2017, 10:46 AM.
          Duncan S

See my blog!

Comment

Originally posted by dst87, Falkirk View Post
            It's the governments job to legislate to ensure tax revenues are collected. Amazon, as with all companies large enough to justify it, have an army of accountants and lawyers to ensure they minimise tax liability within the bounds of the law.

The same is true for personal tax. The more you have the easier it is to justify paying someone to minimise your tax liability.

It may be morally questionable, but it's inevitable. It's governments handing out these tax benefits, and the EU who are trying to crack down on it.
            Tax aside, I don't like the impact Amazon is having on the retail sector.

Younger members of the extended family compiled lists on Amazon in previous years, this year - no lists

Annie

Comment

Just realised I shouldn't have put my previous post, as don't want to turn this in to a political thread so shall say no more on the matter other than in my opinion people find such activities abhorrent until they benefit from them be it through convenient deliveries, new technology or an app to order taxis. There is legislation in place and what these companies do fits within that legislation; no laws are being broken but if service users find the business activity unacceptable on moral grounds they shouldn't use them

Comment

Rather than M&S vouchers for Christmas or Birthday presents, I have requested Amazon vouchers this year with no qualms whatsoever.

As for Uber or Starbucks they do not operate in our town, so the few times I need a coffee/tea or a taxi whilst out, I use local companies, with an occasional visit to Greggs for a bacon roll and a coffee.

If I go further afield such as Ipswich and I want a drink, have used Thorntons or Costa mainly for its tea, other than Greggs it's very rarely I drink coffee.
                Last edited by Delboy, Essex; 13th December 2017, 11:21 AM.
                Delboy

Photo Albums

https://www.flickriver.com/photos/delboyalbums/sets/

or

https://www.flickr.com/photos/delboyalbums/albums

Comment

Originally posted by annie, Glasgow View Post

Younger members of the extended family compiled lists on Amazon in previous years, this year - no lists

Annie
                  Amazon are thought to have a 40% share of the online market,Rarely use them much prefer to shop personally and locally when possible.

The concern's I have with all these web app based companies is they make a profit from others hard work.Look at the Hotel booking companies who do not own one single hotel??
                  When "Just Eat ' makes it into the the Stock market top 100 . time we examined what we want from our lives.
                  When we were in Sweden Uber had drivers picking up round the port the local police were warning people off, telling us to use the licence taxis....Taffy
                  ​Taffy

Comment

Just realised I shouldn't have put my previous post, as don't want to turn this in to a political thread so shall say no more on the matter other than in my opinion people find such activities abhorrent until they benefit from them be it through convenient deliveries, new technology or an app to order taxis. There is legislation in place and what these companies do fits within that legislation; no laws are being broken but if service users find the business activity unacceptable on moral grounds they shouldn't use them
                    You haven't turned it into a political thread

All our actions have consequences.

In my area, people complain about empty shops and then go on to say, they do most of their shopping on line. It is not rocket science.

Shops do need to up their game and if Amazon is a catalyst for that - good.

Annie
                    Last edited by annie, Glasgow; 13th December 2017, 12:14 PM.

Comment

Our taxi company has an App, Its fine for the young and more computer savvy older customers. But a lot of customers cant get by with our automated booking system and want to speak to a "real" person. The best thing about an old fashioned booking by phone is all calls are recorded, So any doubt / complaint can be looked into promptly and efficiently. Also all licensed Hackney carriages are regulated by the council and are constantly checked out, both drivers (who are all CRB checked) and their cars/cabs. Jan.

Comment

Normally if we are going out I drive the car, if we are going out out, then normally a family member will give us a lift, or take and collect us. The only time normally we need a taxi is when going on holiday and we need to be taken to our pick up point, as this is mostly early morning we use a taxi, but there is only one local company who operate 24 hours.

As for shopping I use local stores, but if they are too expensive or I cannot get the item locally, then I am happy to use Amazon.

As for shops closing, the only ones which appear to be empty in my town at the moment are those that used to be charity shops. But then our town used to be full of them.

As for coffee, I don't see the fascination, rather have a cup of tea anytime, Costa do a lovely pot of tea.
                        Delboy

Photo Albums

https://www.flickriver.com/photos/delboyalbums/sets/

or

https://www.flickr.com/photos/delboyalbums/albums

Comment

Originally posted by jan lowden, sunderland (2) View Post
                          Our taxi company has an App, Its fine for the young and more computer savvy older customers. But a lot of customers cant get by with our automated booking system and want to speak to a "real" person. The best thing about an old fashioned booking by phone is all calls are recorded, So any doubt / complaint can be looked into promptly and efficiently. Also all licensed Hackney carriages are regulated by the council and are constantly checked out, both drivers (who are all CRB checked) and their cars/cabs. Jan.
                          Hi Jan

My local taxi company who has the App also offers the human option. I only discovered the App after I took my 1st trip with them. I don't use it but use the automated system which stores the previous pick-up points I have used.

So far so good.

Annie

Comment

Originally posted by annie, Glasgow View Post

Annie
                            What impact on the retail sector don’t you like? Retail can’t (or won’t) compete with Amazon... and I don’t just mean on price. Even if things were the same price in store as they were on Amazon (or slightly more expensive) I’d still use Amazon as the service is excellent. So if the tax system is sorted so Amazon have to pay more, I’d still shop with them with higher prices.
                            Duncan S

See my blog!

Comment

How times change, it's cheaper for 4 people to get a taxi to our local town £5.00 than the bus £10.80.

As for Amazon, it makes you wonder how we coped without it. So much easier than trudging round the shops, especially if you don't know what you want to buy someone .................................................. .................Carol

Comment

Nothing wrong with the post you made. I think even leaving politics aside there are interesting points.

I don’t think it’s hypocritical to use a service but still wish they paid more tax. I’d still use Amazon if their prices were the same as the high street - it’s not the prices I love about Amazon!

Arguing for tax reform to make companies pay more is a legitimate approach to the problem, though I don’t envy the person who has to work it out!
                                Duncan S

See my blog!

Comment

We use cookies to give you the
                                best experience possible.

By continuing to use our website you
                                agree to our cookie policy

Working...
                                X