• Ahoy there! Why not join the UK’s largest cruising forum? The Cruise.co.uk forum is the perfect place to meet and interact with likeminded cruisers to have invaluable conversations. Whether you're a veteran cruiser or looking to set sail on the sea for the first time, everyone is welcome on our forum to participate in the hottest conversations in the cruising world. So, what are you waiting for? Join the forum today by clicking here to register!

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

History Help

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

History Help

Hi Everyone,

I have been searching the internet for history information about visas for European countries. Usually, just typing in a few words will quickly throw up what you are looking for. I would like to know when was the last time a tourist visa was needed for a British Passport holder to enter any of the european countries.

Can anyone throw any light on the subject? I have tried rewording the question a few times, but I'm drawing a blank. Plenty of information about visas but not the history I'm looking for. Beryl

I don't believe that visas were ever necessary in Europe.

Stewart

Comment

They weren't, and passports were rarely needed until after WW1

Comment

only eastern europe needed us to get visas.

Comment

I think you may need to be more specific especially what you count as Europe.

Many consider Turkey Europe and you still need a visa for there.

a google of "British visa requirement to other countries" uncovers this which might be useful.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Visa_r...itish_citizens

Don't forget that a lot of Visa free countries have restrictions on stays including quite a few European ones.

Comment

I wouldnt count turkey as Europe proper, it falls into a similar category to Egypt. I seem to remember that a visa for Turkey is just a money making exercise rather than to stop you getting in.

Comment

Thanks for your replies. We have travelled around Europe extensively since the 50s and couldn't remember anywhere that required a visa. We did actually stop at Kusadasi in the late 60s but that was on a cruise ship. I wonder if a blanket visa for cruise passengers was in place at that time.

Comment

We use cookies to give you the
              best experience possible.

By continuing to use our website you
              agree to our cookie policy

Working...
              X