• Ahoy there! Why not join the UK’s largest cruising forum? The Cruise.co.uk forum is the perfect place to meet and interact with likeminded cruisers to have invaluable conversations. Whether you're a veteran cruiser or looking to set sail on the sea for the first time, everyone is welcome on our forum to participate in the hottest conversations in the cruising world. So, what are you waiting for? Join the forum today by clicking here to register!

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

My first time working on a boat.

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

My first time working on a boat.

At the age of 16, I got work with Isle of Mann steam packet, I joined up on the Ben-My-Chree, i became a bar boy.
    It was fun at first, and i was really enjoying my life crossing the Irish Sea. It was only a ferry boat, but every time i seen the
    Liver Birds on the return trip, I would jump for joy, you would think i had been away for a 6 moth trip. It was all going good
    until we had a midnight sailing, the weather was bad as we left Liverpool, It was not long before we were told to close the bar.
    and all other services, We were in a gale force nine in the middle of the Irish Sea, and we were getting thrown all over the place.
    That night made my mind up, i would never work again on the boats, when i returned to Liverpool the next day. thank you George.

When I was 9 I worked on a pleasure boat working from Southend beach or the pier. I used to sell soft drinks to the passengers, help swab the decks and hang around the boat. It was great fun and I got paid ten bob a week too. I got seasick after one trip in really heavy seas and that night, in bed in my room, the room went round and round. I carried on though until we moved away from Southend and didn't suffer again. Since then I've been in a force nine on Arcadia and felt fine.

Have you suffered from seasickness since deverdevo?...............HT

Comment

Hi HT, no not suffered sea sickness since then, but i have not been on a cruise yet, i think the ships today can handle force nines ,
      but at that time in 1972, The Ben-My-Chree was being thrown around, the chief steward told us to go to our bunks. There was
      no chance of that, I stayed near the life raft. lol

Comment

Many, many years ago I was engaged to a Fisherman, who trawled for a living, not too bad at that time, around the waters of Mudeford and off shore for a radius of 40 or so miles, no EU restrictions back then.

The worst point was when he and his colleague picked up a newly refurbished Trawler and invited me to join them on the journey from Keyhaven to Christchurch! Not very far! But we broke down, engine failure and drifted towards the nasty current off the Needles. Silly people had not checked for flares, none!

So my lipstick was used to write on the engine cover for help! Luckily it came in the shape of the RNLI, who towed us back in!

Luckily I did not marry the 'idiot' however we continue to fund raise for the RNLI.
        Lizzie sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by deverdevo, liverpool View Post
          Hi HT, no not suffered sea sickness since then, but i have not been on a cruise yet, i think the ships today can handle force nines ,
          but at that time in 1972, The Ben-My-Chree was being thrown around, the chief steward told us to go to our bunks. There was
          no chance of that, I stayed near the life raft. lol

Yes, you would have felt it more in a smaller ship. I don't blame you for staying by the life rafts,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,HT

Comment

Originally posted by Lizzie, Lymington View Post
            Many, many years ago I was engaged to a Fisherman, who trawled for a living, not too bad at that time, around the waters of Mudeford and off shore for a radius of 40 or so miles, no EU restrictions back then.

The worst point was when he and his colleague picked up a newly refurbished Trawler and invited me to join them on the journey from Keyhaven to Christchurch! Not very far! But we broke down, engine failure and drifted towards the nasty current off the Needles. Silly people had not checked for flares, none!

So my lipstick was used to write on the engine cover for help! Luckily it came in the shape of the RNLI, who towed us back in!

Luckily I did not marry the 'idiot' however we continue to fund raise for the RNLI.

That's a pretty unique use for your lippy Lizzie. I hope your shade went with the trawler's deco

Comment

Originally posted by Hampshire Thorn, Fareham View Post
              Yes, you would have felt it more in a smaller ship. I don't blame you for staying by the life rafts,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,HT
              Yes the Irish sea can get pretty rough,I used to cross it twice a week on a converted LST and she would throw herself around like a cork and bend in the middle,my advice never go to sea if you are prone to seasickness.Once out in the far east we picked up a stowaway who was looking for a better life,of course no country would accept him,he was prone to seasickness in a mill pond and he was still on the ship 2 years later when I left.Now that was the worse kind of prison seasick every day,
              jim

Comment

I hope the stowaway, found their new home, such a sad case for anyone to deal with. And i hope Lizzys lip stick was replaced
                after a good idea. thanks George.

Comment

2 years ago, at the ripe old age of 63, I found myself as Deputy Cox on the Harbourmasters souped up, twin screw, high speed Launch in the Port of Poole, complete with flashing Blue light I was chasing miscreants around Poole Bay.. Prior to this, the only time I had seen flashing blue lights was in the rear view mirror when driving the car & then they were behind me !!!

Comment

Blues and two on the water Rusty, must have looked like something out of Miami vice, Bet you enjoyed the Buzz. thank you George.

Comment

We use cookies to give you the
                    best experience possible.

By continuing to use our website you
                    agree to our cookie policy

Working...
                    X