• Ahoy there! Why not join the UK’s largest cruising forum? The Cruise.co.uk forum is the perfect place to meet and interact with likeminded cruisers to have invaluable conversations. Whether you're a veteran cruiser or looking to set sail on the sea for the first time, everyone is welcome on our forum to participate in the hottest conversations in the cruising world. So, what are you waiting for? Join the forum today by clicking here to register!

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Broken Ankles

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Broken Ankles

Does anyone have experience of how long it usually takes for someone to get back on his feet after breaking an ankle, and are there any tips?
    My husband slipped getting out of the shower and I had to call 999 At the hospital they pulled it into position and after an X-ray he was admitted and tomorrow will have a plate put into his foot. I'd just like to know what sort of things we might expect over the next weeks.

Originally posted by Mariers2, Rushden View Post
    Does anyone have experience of how long it usually takes for someone to get back on his feet after breaking an ankle, and are there any tips?
    My husband slipped getting out of the shower and I had to call 999 At the hospital they pulled it into position and after an X-ray he was admitted and tomorrow will have a plate put into his foot. I'd just like to know what sort of things we might expect over the next weeks.
    My tip is ask the professionals tomorrow. They'll give you far better advice than you'll ever get on a cruise forum.

Comment

Tell him that's unlucky Marie. Last week I fell off a ladder (first time ever) but luckily landed on a lawn, rolled through some roses and landed up in a bush. I just ended up with cuts and bruises. Send him my sympathy and wish him a speedy recovery.

Cheers OSD
      Our cruising days are over now.................

Comment

Sorry to hear about your husbands accident. You will need to ask the hospital about timescales for him getting fully back on both feet. There are many different types of ankle breaks and everyone heals at different rates. He will obviously have pain and discomfort and need some TLC but he will soon be up and getting around on crutches. Most accidents happen in the home and it is no consolation to him at the moment but it would have been worse if he had broken his leg or even worse two ankles. I wish him a speedy recovery and hope he does not have you running around too much. Best wishes and take care.🚑
        Last edited by Happy, Wolverhampton; 25th January 2015, 11:30 PM.
        Oriana
        Oceana
        Ventura
        Queen Mary 2
        Queen Victoria
        Queen Elizabeth

Comment

Originally posted by Mariers2, Rushden View Post

I'm sorry to hear of your husband's accident. I broke my ankle a few years ago and had to have surgery to pin and plate both tib and fib. Mine was bad and I was in plaster for the usual six weeks followed by several months in an air boot. As I wasn't allowed to weight bear I spent around six months wheelchair bound before slowly getting back on my feet. I suffered some nerve damage which has resulted in a part of my foot still being numb and I no longer have quite the same range of movement I had before the accident. This though is unusual and everyone is different. At the least I would expect your husband to be in plaster and on crutches for six weeks, possibly followed by an air boot. If he is offered physiotherapy I would strongly urge him to accept, it made a huge difference to me and will get him up and about again as soon as his particular injury allows.

Comment

I broke my ankle a couple of years ago, and I can only report on my experience since everyone is different. I was in plaster for seven weeks and had physiotherapy afterwards. I felt as though I would never get back to normal and be able to wear high heels again (probably not a problem for your husband!!), but gradually it improved and now I am completely fit. I wish your husband a speedy recovery.

Sheila

Comment

Had one many years ago off work 3 months.

Comment

Hi there,Sorry to here of hubbys mishap,I had an op,2 in fact in the 80,s which involved breaking ALL my metatarsels, Left foot first then the year after my right one,The left foot took ages to heal and i almost called off the second op,However i did have it done and thankfully it was a doddle compared to the left one. Needless to say,when all the fuss was going on about Beckhams,and then Rooneys 1 bone been broke i did not loose too much sleep!! Jan.

Comment

Happened to a work colleague of mine last July. Off work for nearly 6 months. Not allowed to weight bear for 4 months. Plaster for two months then a boot. Still on crutches and physio.
                  It was a very bad break though that would not stitch back together so she now has a metal plate and metal rope permanently to keep it all in place.

Comment

Originally posted by Bradbury, Coventry View Post
                    Happened to a work colleague of mine last July. Off work for nearly 6 months. Not allowed to weight bear for 4 months. Plaster for two months then a boot. Still on crutches and physio.
                    It was a very bad break though that would not stitch back together so she now has a metal plate and metal rope permanently to keep it all in place.
                    I'd stop reading at this point if I were you Marie. It getting worse
                    Our cruising days are over now.................

Comment

Originally posted by Old Sea Dog, Stockport View Post
                      I agree, best ask the Doctors for advice. There will be breaks of all different variations all with different outcomes and recovery.

Comment

Originally posted by Old Sea Dog, Stockport View Post
                        Quite right Old Sea Dog. As you say - it's getting worse. Next we'll hear about wound infection, then MRSA, then sepsis, then maybe even necrotising fasciitis.

Comment

To all of you who were so kind as to describe their own experiences I say a really big THANK YOU. I'm not squeamish, and the varied pieces of information have been stored and hopefully will be called to mind as and when the occasion rises.
                          My philosophy is that if I'm aware of the worst then I accept it and can deal with it; if I'm prepared, it may help my husband to be a bit positive if he sees I'm not unduly worried. Best to do that alone, and as for running around, you make me wonder if I've been doing wrong all these years as I thought that was what women were meant to do.
                          The staff are all marvellous, but unfortunately the admin side doesn't help them,because one area tells me something but the next doesn't know anything about it.

Comment

my broken ankle was quiet a saga.
                            the day we moved house backin the 80;s the old lady next door said can you pick us a few apples before you go. As I did so slipped over on wet grass badly hurt my ankle, could not get it seen to as we were moving house that day [by luck had a removal van and crew] after the move was taken to A+E they said it was just a sprain, the pain was unbearable could not stand the weight of the blanket on it at bedtime. ambulance called and back to A+E new staff on who did an xray this time and said yes its broken put on flimsey plaster cast and gave an outpatients appoint. But the story continues. Saw the fracture dr a few days later who said they put the wrong plaster cast on and a full toe to knee plaster cast went on. At home few days later fell over with crutches off to A+E again insisted on an xray of my good foot and it was now broken too, so ended up wheelchair bound with broken foot one side and broken ankle the other. When plaster cast came off I was left with a lower leg/foot of just skin and bone evently grew back to normal.

I have broken loads of bones and the ankle was the most painful.
                            Last edited by DUETTO, Staines; 26th January 2015, 06:19 PM.

Comment

Everyone is different in how they heal, obey doctors instructions, attend physio and do exercises etc. someone younger may heal quicker than say me who is older. It also depends on the # fracture. Ask and keep asking the medical staff if you have any worries or questions.

However remember to get a letter from Dr if your going through customs as the plate and pins will set the bleeper off!! Lol
                              Last edited by Issyalex, Glasgow; 26th January 2015, 11:21 PM.
                              don't want to work, just want to cruise.

Comment

We use cookies to give you the
                              best experience possible.

By continuing to use our website you
                              agree to our cookie policy

Working...
                              X