• Ahoy there! Why not join the UK’s largest cruising forum? The Cruise.co.uk forum is the perfect place to meet and interact with likeminded cruisers to have invaluable conversations. Whether you're a veteran cruiser or looking to set sail on the sea for the first time, everyone is welcome on our forum to participate in the hottest conversations in the cruising world. So, what are you waiting for? Join the forum today by clicking here to register!

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

What can you see 5 mins walk from your house?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

for us A 5 minute walk we see houses, gardens, houses, duel carriage, houses, shops, and did I mention houses? So not much eh?
    don't want to work, just want to cruise.

Comment

I only have to look out of my window to see the beautiful Carrick roads, there is St Antony's lighthouse' Pendennis St Mawes castles guarding the entrance to the harbour [built in Henry the eight's time] ]against invasion from the Spanish. Yacht's, gigs , rowing boats tugs you name it we have so many different craft swinging on their anchors in the Carrick roads. Whilst in the docks we have 2 RAF ships undergoing repair, a tanker and cargos ship, not forgetting the residential cruise ship the World laying up in the docks for the duration.
      are all sorts of wonderful craft moored up in the inner harbour to many to mention, and about 18 odd merchant ships many oil tankers waiting outside for orders.

A 5 minute walk takes me to the Swan pool filled with it's many species of birds, across the road the small beach, then along the cliff path which looks right out to sea, and a further two lovely beaches

t the back of me is farmland , cows, crops etc. and again lovely old walks over styles to old churches , and little hamlets, I feel so lucky to have been born here. CG
      Last edited by cornish girl, falmouth; 31st May 2020, 08:08 AM.
      sigpic

Comment

Sounds idyllic CG. Being nosey, I just loaded a Falmouth harbour webcam, it all looks very tranquil and perfect weather. I can see the World moored in the distance, haven’t seen her since we saw her docked in Tallinn 12/13 years ago. Thanks for sharing.

https://www.visitfalmouth.com/about-falmouth/web-cam/

Comment

Hi all
          A 2 minute walk from my front door I'm into the woods and a large fishing pond full of carp.
          There is walking paths all through the woods,the shade of the paths is welcome this weather.

image.jpeg image.jpeg

I walk out of the back gate in the garden and I'm back into the other end of the woods,with 3 other fishing ponds.
          image.jpeg Bottle of water and a jam butty,I would be out all day swimming in those ponds when I was a kid.
          JC
          Last edited by jc, liverpool; 31st May 2020, 11:50 AM.
          C P Scott,,,,,"Comment is Free,,but Facts are Sacred"
          "You are entitled to your opinion. But you are not entitled to your own facts.

Comment

Thanks for the explanation Lawnmowerman. Now I know how to post photos, here are two from our morning walk by the lake. We are lucky to have enjoyable walks less than half an hour from the city centre.IMG_2173.jpeg IMG_2156.jpeg

Comment

River Wear from Fatfield Bridge.JPG

Just over 5 minutes down to the riverside and views of Penshaw Monument.

The Biddick.jpg

Couple of pubs and restaurants along one side of river or cross the bridge to riverside walks and lake.

Have to say we're just sticking to walking around the edge of the estate. There's much more traffic around and so many are speeding in 30 mile limits. Also we're finding more people out and about now especially gangs of youngsters and they don't respect the social distancing so you have to move out onto the road to avoid them. Definitely not as safe now. Think we'll be buying a treadmill if it gets any worse!

Comment

Originally posted by smtcan, Scarborough View Post
                Thanks for the explanation Lawnmowerman. Now I know how to post photos, here are two from our morning walk by the lake. We are lucky to have enjoyable walks less than half an hour from the city centre.IMG_2173.jpeg IMG_2156.jpeg
                You are welcome. It would have been a shame to miss these wonderful images. Fantastic.

Bill

Lawnmowerman

Comment

Originally posted by All at sea, Yorks View Post
                  Sounds idyllic CG. Being nosey, I just loaded a Falmouth harbour webcam, it all looks very tranquil and perfect weather. I can see the World moored in the distance, haven’t seen her since we saw her docked in Tallinn 12/13 years ago. Thanks for sharing.

https://www.visitfalmouth.com/about-falmouth/web-cam/
                  Went down to see her on Saturday, my son is engineer on the Tug Percuil, she brought her in and she must have woken most of Falmouth , St Mawes and Flushing up when she blew her horn, I believe she is going up the River Fal for layup. My son says she is looking quite tatty now and needs a good seeing to I saw her in Argentina, but she often comes into Falmouth,

If you are interested in seeing the ships, tugs [we have just had a large one delivered they all seem proud of down at the docks , you can go to the web page called' Falmouth for orders', its run by a retired Falmouth pilot, all sorts of interesting older ships and ,basking sharks, dolphins are featured on it.
                  sigpic

Comment

The yellow water lillies are out on the canal. I have some lovely photos and a video of the swans and ducks swimming in a line but too big to upload. The fields around our house are full of wild flowers now. I love the poppies.

Comment

20200607_143516.jpg20200607_143529.jpgHi All
                      The view from the top of Portsdown Hill a few minutes walk from my mansion...
                      Last edited by Garfield, Waterlooville; 7th June 2020, 08:48 PM.

Comment

We use cookies to give you the
                      best experience possible.

By continuing to use our website you
                      agree to our cookie policy

Working...
                      X