• Ahoy there! Why not join the UK’s largest cruising forum? The Cruise.co.uk forum is the perfect place to meet and interact with likeminded cruisers to have invaluable conversations. Whether you're a veteran cruiser or looking to set sail on the sea for the first time, everyone is welcome on our forum to participate in the hottest conversations in the cruising world. So, what are you waiting for? Join the forum today by clicking here to register!

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Time to Finish on a High.

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Time to Finish on a High.

Is it time to stop the weekly Thursday clapping for NHS staff and care workers? Is it better to stop now whilst it's still on a "high" than let it slowly die the death over the coming weeks or months as the media moves on to the next "crisis".

It is viewed as "virtue signalling" by some as fireworks are let off, car horns are blasted, drums are bashed and every minor celebrity makes sure they are photographed "doing their bit". Even, I understand, some doctors think enough is enough.

One thing is sure, the virus will be here for many a long day and the NHS will still have to carry on treating the seriously ill.

I know what you mean, but while my daughter is nursing covid patients, I think I'll carry on. She's used to the blood and guts in an emergency department, but covid nursing in the most horrendously uncomfortable PPE knowing you could possibly be infected yourself is something else.

Comment

Actually, I read something on FB yesterday that made me think. The post was referring to to the crowded beaches and so many people being out and about.

The poster was a nurse who said not to bother clapping at 8pm because she was furious that people who are ignoring the distancing rules are just adding to the workload and stress of those on the front line dealing with treating patients with Covid.

I can see her point.
      Jill

Comment

In our Cul-de-sac we have 7 homes who have never taken part in the weekly clap for the NHS, even although one of our neighbours an ex councillor put a reminder note through everybody’s letter box just after it started.

This week two of the regulars did not appear also noticed the length people are clapping seems to be getting shorter.
        Delboy

Photo Albums

https://www.flickriver.com/photos/delboyalbums/sets/

or

https://www.flickr.com/photos/delboyalbums/albums

Comment

I haven't been out clapping for the last couple of weeks. I would rather the government did something for the NHS workers rather than a clap. Which I am pleased to see has happened with the addition of workers to the bereavement scheme and the removal of the surcharge. So much better than a clap.
          It now seems that it is more important to be seen, rather than something people want to do.........bit like wearing a poppy.
          Last edited by andyn, Bucks; 22nd May 2020, 10:19 AM.

Comment

Here we go again🤔
            Delboy

Photo Albums

https://www.flickriver.com/photos/delboyalbums/sets/

or

https://www.flickr.com/photos/delboyalbums/albums

Comment

Originally posted by Delboy, Essex View Post
              Here we go again🤔
              Sorry what??

Annie

Comment

Here we go again🤔
                No Del , its only on Thursdays

Comment

Here we go again🤔
                  Hi Del
                  What do you mean?
                  I hate these one liners that explain nothing.
                  JC
                  C P Scott,,,,,"Comment is Free,,but Facts are Sacred"
                  "You are entitled to your opinion. But you are not entitled to your own facts.

Comment

No is my response. As each week passes in our small road of mostly elderly folk, more have joined in the clapping and its good and also reassuring to see them all outside...at a safe distance.

We see it as a community getting together to thank the NHS staff in our own small way, even though they can't see us or hear us.

Comment

Originally posted by All at sea, Yorks View Post
                      No is my response. As each week passes in our small road of mostly elderly folk, more have joined in the clapping and its good and also reassuring to see them all outside...at a safe distance.

We see it as a community getting together to thank the NHS staff in our own small way, even though they can't see us or hear us.
                      I agree, it's nice to be able to see lots of neighbours at once, and wave to them.

I missed it one week as I realised to late, so I never judge anyone that isn't out clapping, there could be 101 reasons why they are not! ............................................Carol

Comment

Perhaps we should have a "Boo" for the Government's handling of the lockdown!

Comment

It seems to be fizzling out here, down to three houses out of 20. Seems a shame .

Comment

I shall keep on clapping.
                            The government are doing a good job all these arm chair experts who know better make me chuckle. Maybe if the great British public had kept to what is advised things might be different as it is it’s a case of its doesn’t apply to me’.

Comment

Originally posted by JohnR, Chippenham View Post
                              Is it time to stop the weekly Thursday clapping for NHS staff and care workers? Is it better to stop now whilst it's still on a "high" than let it slowly die the death over the coming weeks or months as the media moves on to the next "crisis".

It is viewed as "virtue signalling" by some as fireworks are let off, car horns are blasted, drums are bashed and every minor celebrity makes sure they are photographed "doing their bit". Even, I understand, some doctors think enough is enough.

One thing is sure, the virus will be here for many a long day and the NHS will still have to carry on treating the seriously ill.
                              You have a supporter

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-52773032

Annie

Comment

We use cookies to give you the
                              best experience possible.

By continuing to use our website you
                              agree to our cookie policy

Working...
                              X