• Ahoy there! Why not join the UK’s largest cruising forum? The Cruise.co.uk forum is the perfect place to meet and interact with likeminded cruisers to have invaluable conversations. Whether you're a veteran cruiser or looking to set sail on the sea for the first time, everyone is welcome on our forum to participate in the hottest conversations in the cruising world. So, what are you waiting for? Join the forum today by clicking here to register!

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Retirement

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Cooke, Ashby View Post
    I took voluntary redundancy at 60. I did not like the way education was heading. The only thing wrong with retirement is the pay, but yours might be better than mine is. I would caution about taking on too much, especially in the voluntary sector, most organisations are happy to take up all your time if you let them. Many of my friends refuse holidays and outings because "we have to look after the grandchildren". I think that's a shame. When the grandchildren are grown up the grandparents might not have the health to do the things they should have done. Basically I think you need to put yourself first some of the time. If this makes me sound selfish I'm sorry.
    I think you are absolutely correct, my Sister in Law’s retirement has been “ruined” because of the demands placed on her time to help out with 3 grandchildren, as an example they are dropped off at 07.00 to be given breakfast etc before being taken to school, add in after school clubs, football, dancing etc, you get the picture, she is permanently exhausted, it’s wrong because she has been robbed of her retirement.

John

Comment

Originally posted by Cooke, Ashby View Post
      I took voluntary redundancy at 60. I did not like the way education was heading. The only thing wrong with retirement is the pay, but yours might be better than mine is. I would caution about taking on too much, especially in the voluntary sector, most organisations are happy to take up all your time if you let them. Many of my friends refuse holidays and outings because "we have to look after the grandchildren". I think that's a shame. When the grandchildren are grown up the grandparents might not have the health to do the things they should have done. Basically I think you need to put yourself first some of the time. If this makes me sound selfish I'm sorry.
      You are correct re grandparents and grandchildren - I witness it in my own family. They end up being taken for granted. Different if it is an emergency.

Also agree place a cap on time devoted to the voluntary sector - I have done so for decades.

Annie

Comment

Originally posted by ilovesunshine, east yorks View Post
        I have decid3d to take early retirement from work. My job has changed so much in the last few years and is quite stressful with a lot of travelling. I do like travel for pleasure but not so much for work nowadays. I was expecting to retire at 60 but with the increase in state pension age I still have more than 2 years to go.

I hope I don't regret my decision. Any tips for a happy retirement. Apart from lots of cruises of course
        The following assume you do not have infinite financial resources :

1st Tip - Keep out of the shops.

2nd Tip - When going out for the day don’t buy food out, take a picnic lunch if possible.

3rd Tip - If you have a burning ambition do it now. As the years go by your physical and mental horizons go down and down.

Comment

I have just taken early retirement two weeks ago and plan to cruise more now I can take advantage of late deals. I am also going to see more of our own beautiful country. I am going to learn to speak Italian properly, will be volunteering one day a week at our local cancer hospital and yes, I will be looking after my beautiful baby grandson one day a week when my daughter goes back to work. It will be a delight for me and not a chore.
          Life will be full!

Comment

I can see all the benefits of retiring early but it is essential to ensure that you have the finacial stability to be able to live on your current resouces for possibly 30 or more years. For many that is almost as long as their working lives. Gill and I have sufficient pension to live and sufficient savings to cover the inevitable emergencies but if we didn't continue with our self employment on at least a part-time basis we would be unable to enjoy our holidays and trips away. It is all a matter of balance.

Comment

I took early retirement at the age of 51, having worked for the same company for 32 years. I was fortunate in that I have a good pension and my wife was still in full time work in a well paid job. I have never regretted it for one minute. I did some part time work for about 8 years, and this was completely stress free. I have kept busy doing the things I like, golf, cycling, dog walking and classic car restoration. While my wife worked full time, I did all the housework and cooking, although now that she's retired we share the chores. Grandchildren have also taken up a fair bit of time. Our daughter and son in law live about 5 minutes walk away, and as others have said, we have begun to feel a bit taken for granted. My wife has to be at their house by 7.00am on two mornings to get the kids ready for school/nursery, but we have put our foot down regarding evening baby sitting. This was because return times were never kept and we were often waiting until 1.00am for them to come home. I think the key is to keep busy and fit, but by doing the things you like doing rather than what you are obliged to do. We had hoped to have more holidays outside school holiday dates, but have found them to be just as expensive in June and September as July and August. We're not interested in hols, whether it be cruises or anything else, unless we're more or less guaranteed hot sunny weather.

Comment

My daughter knows better than to ask me to look after grandchildren on a regular basis. Even when I finish work I won't commit to a lot more than I do now. I am helping out with school runs which I don't normally do due to the broken leg. She has organised a rota. Grandad my ex, has been sacked! He didn't realise you have to actually take them into the nursery, not leave them at the door.
                I do enjoy spending time with my 7 grandchildren but would not want to do it full time.

I have thought about volunteering and may do so at some point.
                My friend and I have just signed up for a 50k charity cycle ride so I will need to do some training for that.

Comment

First of all I wish you a long happy and healthy retirement.
                  I planned to retire at 60 and had budgeted for that.Similarly at 58 I took voluntary redundancy last October mainly because I hated a recent restructure.My advice would be take some time before deciding on a long term plan.
                  I felt the need to apply for similar work (partly social conditioning I think).
                  Then I realised I didn't miss the work as much as I thought and decided I would look at part time work boosted by short term temporary work till I'm 60.
                  But I'm now more choosy and pick things I enjoy or suit my needs and are with nice people.
                  So far I've delivered polling cards,done election duty,exam invigilating and I'm a part time home help.
                  I have lots of free time but earn now and again.
                  I've also become s grandad recently and from December my OH and I will be looking after our granddaughter just one day a week.
                  It takes some time to adjust but now I have I love it!
                  My OH is still working 4 days a week and she also finds me jobs to do.
                  Last edited by philhar, wallasey; 9th June 2019, 12:35 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by philhar, wallasey View Post
                    First of all I wish you a long happy and healthy retirement.
                    I planned to retire at 60 and had budgeted for that.Similarly at 58 I took voluntary redundancy last October mainly because I hated a recent restructure.My advice would be take some time before deciding on a long term plan.
                    I felt the need to apply for similar work (partly social conditioning I think).
                    Then I realised I didn't miss the work as much as I thought and decided I would look at part time work boosted by short term temporary work till I'm 60.
                    But I'm now more choosy and pick things I enjoy or suit my needs and are with nice people.
                    So far I've delivered polling cards,done election duty,exam invigilating and I'm a part time home help.
                    I have lots of free time but earn now and again.
                    I've also become s grandad recently and from December my OH and I will be looking after our granddaughter just one day a week.
                    It takes some time to adjust but now I have I love it!
                    My OH is still working 4 days a week and she also finds me jobs to do.
                    Sounds like you have found the perfect balance between work and leisure. I have already been offered a part time job but I am not in a hurry to accept. Like you say working with nice people makes such a difference.

Comment

Originally posted by Lottie A, UK View Post
                      I have just taken early retirement two weeks ago and plan to cruise more now I can take advantage of late deals. I am also going to see more of our own beautiful country. I am going to learn to speak Italian properly, will be volunteering one day a week at our local cancer hospital and yes, I will be looking after my beautiful baby grandson one day a week when my daughter goes back to work. It will be a delight for me and not a chore.
                      Life will be full!
                      Enjoy, I am sure that you will take to it like a duck to water

John

Comment

Originally posted by PeterM, Southwell View Post
                        I took early retirement at the age of 51, having worked for the same company for 32 years. I was fortunate in that I have a good pension and my wife was still in full time work in a well paid job. I have never regretted it for one minute. I did some part time work for about 8 years, and this was completely stress free. I have kept busy doing the things I like, golf, cycling, dog walking and classic car restoration. While my wife worked full time, I did all the housework and cooking, although now that she's retired we share the chores. Grandchildren have also taken up a fair bit of time. Our daughter and son in law live about 5 minutes walk away, and as others have said, we have begun to feel a bit taken for granted. My wife has to be at their house by 7.00am on two mornings to get the kids ready for school/nursery, but we have put our foot down regarding evening baby sitting. This was because return times were never kept and we were often waiting until 1.00am for them to come home. I think the key is to keep busy and fit, but by doing the things you like doing rather than what you are obliged to do. We had hoped to have more holidays outside school holiday dates, but have found them to be just as expensive in June and September as July and August. We're not interested in hols, whether it be cruises or anything else, unless we're more or less guaranteed hot sunny weather.
                        Well done you.

The husband of one of my friends struggles occasionally with retirement as does one of my brothers. Neither plays golf or restores classic cars and don't even suggest a dog

Annie

Comment

I retired early because my job was about to completely change due to cuts to education funding. After running a computer lab and teaching computer skills for several years my position was cut and I was asked to go back to classroom teaching - not what I was prepared to do at 58. After I officially retired I was hired back at various schools for short term work which I continued to do until husband retired.

I was fortunate that our grandchildren were settled in day care by the time we retired, so we were able to enjoy time with them without being fully committed. I took them swimming one morning a week and we took teach one out one afternoon, but these arrangements were flexible so we were free to travel. Our oldest grandaughter just turned twenty and the other day she mentioned how she remembered 'special Tuesdays' when we took her out.

We share interests in travel and theatre, but also have our own activities. Husband loves to sail, which keeps him active in the summer. I do volunteer work at a Seniors' Home one morning a week and belong to a craft group.. I have lunch with a group of friends every two weeks, and our husbands decided they would have their own lunch group. We didn’t think they would keep it up, but it has lasted for three years now and they all seem to enjoy it.

This week we are moving into an apartment not far from our house. We are looking forward to being able to close the door and go away without having to worry about gardening or snow clearing. We plan to spend more time at the cottage in the summer and travel to somewhere warmer in the winter.

Comment

I got made redundant 5 years before I planned to look at giving up.

Buried both my parents within a year.

Life could be too short to be working.

​​​​​​If the money runs out will go onto benefits.

​​​​​​(will keep a secret stash to buy beer)

Comment

Originally posted by Lottie A, UK View Post
                              Life will be full!
                              I gave up work aged 48, that was 10 years ago when we became grandparents... Our daughter went back to work 2 days a week and I feel truly lucky that I have had that quality time with our granddaughter, and then 2 years later came our grandson... I was a very big part of their lives with school runs, swimming lessons etc... Now they are in Australia on a trial run I feel so blessed that we have been a huge part of their lives from birth, but we miss them terribly.
                              It was always a pleasure to me too, never a chore....
                              My hubby retired 2 years ago, age 60... worked for a big company for over 30 years, and came away nicely... Lump sum and pension... Never regretted it for one minute, he is a always busy, plays golf 3-4 times a week, also loves fresh water fishing... He doesn't get his state pension until he's 66 I think X.

Comment

Originally posted by ilovesunshine, east yorks View Post
                                I have decid3d to take early retirement from work. My job has changed so much in the last few years and is quite stressful with a lot of travelling. I do like travel for pleasure but not so much for work nowadays. I was expecting to retire at 60 but with the increase in state pension age I still have more than 2 years to go.

I hope I don't regret my decision. Any tips for a happy retirement. Apart from lots of cruises of course
                                Like you I should have retired at 60 and now have to wait till I’m 66 to receive my state pension. I’ve decide to retire end September. I informed management beginning of May but hope to finish mid Aug as I have annual leave and we have 3 months of reducing work days ie I’ll work 3 days a week July, 2 per week Aug and 1 per week sept but my boss has agreed to me still working 4 days a week until I’ve used up the hours HR has worked out for me.

its scary but exciting. A new chapter in our lives.
                                don't want to work, just want to cruise.

Comment

We use cookies to give you the
                                best experience possible.

By continuing to use our website you
                                agree to our cookie policy

Working...
                                X