• Ahoy there! Why not join the UK’s largest cruising forum? The Cruise.co.uk forum is the perfect place to meet and interact with likeminded cruisers to have invaluable conversations. Whether you're a veteran cruiser or looking to set sail on the sea for the first time, everyone is welcome on our forum to participate in the hottest conversations in the cruising world. So, what are you waiting for? Join the forum today by clicking here to register!

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

That time of year again.

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

That time of year again.

The poor dogs trying to find some place not to hear the fireworks, TV turned up, tried putting them in a room with music on. They dont even want to go for a walk, Quicker its over the better.

Yes, and it lasts at least a fortnight these days.

Comment

Originally posted by deverdevo, liverpool View Post
      The poor dogs trying to find some place not to hear the fireworks, TV turned up, tried putting them in a room with music on. They dont even want to go for a walk, Quicker its over the better.
      I agree, we have two dogs, one hides behind the chair but our other dog is slightly deaf and enjoys looking through the window when fireworks light up the sky. Walks are a no no at the moment as neither dogs likes the lingering smell of fireworks sometimes still present the following morning unless there has been a good wind to disperse the smell. I think the sale of fireworks should only be allowed for 7 days prior to 5th November.
      Oriana
      Oceana
      Ventura
      Queen Mary 2
      Queen Victoria
      Queen Elizabeth

Comment

We looked after the Daughters dogs this week-end and we had some fireworks,but the dogs did not seem bothered.
        My late mother-in-laws dog had to be put down after Bonfire night she had a break down ? She got so worked up she tried to claw her way out of the Kitchen wrecking the door.
        Some dogs seem to cope and other don't ,but the fire works seem to go on for longer ,then we have the Christmas and New Year fireworks to look forwards to.....Taffy
        ​Taffy

Comment

Started here on saturday night and usually lasts till middle of november.

Comment

I have thought for years that only official displays by local councils should be permitted,therfore only fully authorised people could purchase from legal dealers,So,no dangerous illegal bangers etc on the streets,or mindless thugs throwing them around,then people who like and enjoy them,can,and those who dislike them can walk their dogs in peace and not dread that time,I think the fire brigade would be happy with that too,dont you? Jan.

Comment

Got the Daughters Dogs Again last night.
              Big Firework Display for about 20 minutes ,Jack the old dog has no problems as he is deaf .
              Ben has very good hearing and was getting a twitchy by the end of it ,running to the door ,and could not settle .
              When they brought them round Ben who knows where he is ,just jumped trough the drivers window ,from the back seat,Straight over the SIL and ran into the house ,glad they both settle with us...Taffy
              ​Taffy

Comment

My two Lasha Apsos are not happy at all, Bobbie who is 14 yrs of age, just hides under the table. When i take them for a walk, he just wants to get back inside the house. Lexis she is 8 yrs old, she lived on a farm up to the age of two, she barks like hell when the fireworks are being set off. cant wait for a bit of peace for both of them.

Comment

Originally posted by deverdevo, liverpool View Post
                  Does no one remember being kids and the fun we had with bangers????

Comment

I remember almost all our bonfire nights as children were held in out own backyards , we used to go and collect sawdust and such from the local builder at the end of the road, yes we also built a guy and would drag it around on a go cart, chanting 'penny for the guy' we had great fun alongside others parading our guys.

I don't think we could buy fireworks ourselves in those days 40's but remember mother putting rockets on bottles? and Catherine wheels pinned to the gate, toffee apples and sausages it was a family occasion no big firework displays then.
                    We had animals but always looked after them put them in the far bedroom with granny looking after them, I don't remember fireworks being let off long before the event in my day. CG
                    sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by ger, scotland View Post
                      Does no one remember being kids and the fun we had with bangers????
                      Only to well.
                      Neighborhood Bonfires ,everyone made an effort and brought food and drink,Potatoes cooked (Nearly) in the fire Treacle Toffee (Homemade) Parkin ,even jumping over the fire .
                      Holding Roman Candles ,Throwing Bangers at one another ,Tossing the ripraps ect,We had a great time .
                      But I also remember the badly burned people who had fireworks go of in the pockets,and the people who blew of there fingers when the Banger went off to soon.
                      We did have a great time but sadly there were plenty of accidents...Taffy
                      ​Taffy

Comment

Originally posted by Taffy, Wales View Post
                        Only to well.
                        Neighborhood Bonfires ,everyone made an effort and brought food and drink,Potatoes cooked (Nearly) in the fire Treacle Toffee (Homemade) Parkin ,even jumping over the fire .
                        Holding Roman Candles ,Throwing Bangers at one another ,Tossing the ripraps ect,We had a great time .
                        But I also remember the badly burned people who had fireworks go of in the pockets,and the people who blew of there fingers when the Banger went off to soon.
                        We did have a great time but sadly there were plenty of accidents...Taffy
                        Taffy

Exactly how it was up here. I guess we are now of a different era. I showed my wife your post and she asked if I would be happy with my grandkids having and playing with bangers. My immediate reaction was "No". Yet I am comfortable with them driving a car where more people are injured and killed every year. Wish I had not thought about it in the first place!

Comment

Originally posted by ger, scotland View Post
                          Taffy

Exactly how it was up here. I guess we are now of a different era. I showed my wife your post and she asked if I would be happy with my grandkids having and playing with bangers. My immediate reaction was "No". Yet I am comfortable with them driving a car where more people are injured and killed every year. Wish I had not thought about it in the first place!
                          Your wife is right we would not dream of allowing our Grandchildren or children do what we did as youngsters.

Our last Bonfire when we lived in Manchester our daughter was about 9 yrs old and we had a street bonfire ,all the neighbors joined in ,some one in charge of the fireworks ,It was a really nice night enjoyed by all ,sadly most people now have little social time like that with there neighbours..Taffy
                          ​Taffy

Comment

Actually it's been relatively quiet here this year.
                            sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Peterlg, Halifax View Post
                              Actually it's been relatively quiet here this year.
                              And here also.

One of my daughters - not a fan of cruising- said, "the ships leaving port are the worst offenders with noisy firework's displays"!!

My two dogs don't seem to mind going in the garden when fireworks are about.

It took us some time to discover why one of the dogs shook and howled some evening times. We now know it is the bell on University Challenge!! Perhaps she knows the answer but is afraid of a rebuff from J P. She now goes upstairs to my daughter's room and I can watch it in peace.
                              Last edited by Lacey, Wirral; 5th November 2014, 11:42 AM.

Comment

We use cookies to give you the
                              best experience possible.

By continuing to use our website you
                              agree to our cookie policy

Working...
                              X