• Ahoy there! Why not join the UK’s largest cruising forum? The Cruise.co.uk forum is the perfect place to meet and interact with likeminded cruisers to have invaluable conversations. Whether you're a veteran cruiser or looking to set sail on the sea for the first time, everyone is welcome on our forum to participate in the hottest conversations in the cruising world. So, what are you waiting for? Join the forum today by clicking here to register!

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

A New Kid on the block?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

A New Kid on the block?

Well, I think it is. While enjoying an early morning cup of tea I spotted this little baby passing.

I certainly haven't seen the Grand Mistral...

...passing along the Solent before so it was worth a snapshot. She is on passage between Bilbao and the Baltic with, one presumes, youthful Spanish speaking couples and singles. (Well that's what the new 2013 Berlitz Guide that CruiseDot kindly sent me says).

Up to nearly 1,200 passengers: should be an exciting morning in Southampton.

Nevertheless, another interesting fact. It would appear I and many other members have a shareholder's interest in her.

Though owned by a French consortium she is in fact on charter to Iberocrusos, a vibrant tour operator that is part of the Carnival Corporation.

Iberocrusos claim that the ship is most suitable to single cruisers. Perhaps our 'solo' cruising element may wish to try their luck one day.

You live and learn.

She was in Cadiz Easter Sunday 2012 at the same time we were docked on the Queen Victoria. Reminded us of the NCL
    ships which we thought it was one of theirs at first glance.
    Last edited by Little Red Rouster, Lancaster; 15th May 2013, 08:43 AM.

Comment

According to Wikipedia (which as we know is never wrong, lol) she is owned by Ibero Cruceros / Carnival - although Southampton VTS is listing her as operated by Hurtigruten!!

Good to see the South Coast attracting overseas cruise ships, although I would have thought Pompey a better port of call than So'ton.

Comment

I'll Be Loving You (Forever) New Kids On The Block

Comment

On 1999, Festival Cruises acquired their first new build MS Mistral which was built by Chantiers de l'Atlantique.

After 2004, the company had gone bankrupt and had closed all of their operations. The Mistral was sold to Iberocruceros and was renamed Grand Mistral.

She is a modest 48,200 gt and accomodates 1,700 passengers.

Sh edoes look a bit like the older NCL ships, but is nearly half the size!
          See my cruise blog: HERE

Comment

Originally posted by Malcolm, Essex View Post
            On 1999, Festival Cruises acquired their first new build MS Mistral which was built by Chantiers de l'Atlantique.

After 2004, the company had gone bankrupt and had closed all of their operations. The Mistral was sold to Iberocruceros and was renamed Grand Mistral.

She is a modest 48,200 gt and accomodates 1,700 passengers.

Sh edoes look a bit like the older NCL ships, but is nearly half the size!
            Hi Malcolm.

I gleaned this from Wiki...

The company was founded in 2007 as a joint subsidiary of Carnival Corporation & plc and Orizonia Corporation,[1] under the executive control of Costa Cruises Group, Carnival Corporation's European division.

Ibero Cruises - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

I took my original Carnival charter information from this year Berlitz guide, page 403.

Whatever, it doesn't look my kinda ship.

Comment

Oh look, there she is sailing out again yesterday evening...

Comment

We use cookies to give you the
              best experience possible.

By continuing to use our website you
              agree to our cookie policy

Working...
              X