• Ahoy there! Why not join the UK’s largest cruising forum? The Cruise.co.uk forum is the perfect place to meet and interact with likeminded cruisers to have invaluable conversations. Whether you're a veteran cruiser or looking to set sail on the sea for the first time, everyone is welcome on our forum to participate in the hottest conversations in the cruising world. So, what are you waiting for? Join the forum today by clicking here to register!

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Anyone going/been on a cruise at Christmas?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Leis thatleyb, Warrington View Post
    We are going with P&O this Christmas and New Year to the Caribbean - never been away at Christmas before and never been to the Caribbean - but as we are getting married on Christmas Eve on board I am hoping that it will be wonderful in every way
    How nice is that hope you have a wonderful time and best wishes for your future together....Taffy
    ​Taffy

Comment

I would love to go on a cruise over Xmas. However its not likely to ever happen.. we have so many animals including six horses and to expect a friend to muck out etc on Christmas Day might push a friendship a bit too far.

Good luck to Lesleyb getting married on a Caribbean cruise Christmas Eve how special.

Comment

Will be joining Topdeck on the Jade this Christmas, never been away over the holidays before so really looking forward to it. Kids presents sorted for when we return and will have to think of something for the OH on the cruise.......thinking of paying for an upgrade to a balcony and keeping it quiet till we are are onboard.

Comment

morris
          we were both on the oriana last year [to jordan] but never met, well we both on it again this xmas, never done xmas on a ship what should we expect xmas day and new years eve?

no info on p&o web

Comment

Thanks very much I'll put some photos on in January - if I can fathom out how to do it

Comment

We too are on Jade on 18th, no fly though as we are doing the overnight train from Paris to Rome, great price and the 1st year kids are doing their own thing so will give the OH a break from cooking etc

Comment

Originally posted by Issyalex, Glasgow View Post
                I would love to go away for Christmas but hubbie and the family would not like me too. hubbie and I have been on holiday a couple of times for New Year, sadly a land holiday. I cannot get a week or more off work at Christmas/New Year unless it is for something special.
                With yoj there Issy. I'd get shot for mooting any time away from home at Christmas.

Comment

We're also on the Oriana this Christmas - I'm self-employed, so it's the easiest time to take a break and we've been away at Christmas every year for over 10 (or probably nearer to 20!) years - always something quite different. And as it's my husband's birthday on 24th, it makes it even more special! This year, we're looking forward to being in Dubrovnik on 24th.

Our first cruise was on the NCL Jade - I really can't think there was that much happening on Christmas Day (the ship was so vast, it was probably easy to miss it). For New Years Eve, we'd met people from the cruisecritic rollcall and from that, we were invited to one of the very posh suites (with a baby grand piano and its own jacuzzi!), so don't really know what happened on the ship itself.

Two years ago, we went on the Marco Polo and did a wine tasting on Christmas Day morning, which rolled into lunch, then it was time to dress for dinner! The entertainment was absolutely fantastic as their cruise director at the time, Richard, was brilliant. New Years Eve was great fun, with parties all over the ship. Last year, it was my husband's 60th, and we splashed out on a Panama Canal Cruise with Celebrity - again, Christmas day was fairly quiet (Santa came to give kids gifts), then there was a huge buffet in the main dining room - but they really went to town on New Year's Eve, probably the best NYE party we've ever had.

With the Oriana being adults only, I have my doubts that it will be as lively this year, but as my husband has just had a quadruple bypass, then we wanted something a little quieter this year!

Comment

Eurovisionfan,

your husbands birthday xmas eve, my wifes is on new years eve. looking forward to it

Comment

Originally posted by DUETTO, Staines View Post
                      morris
                      we were both on the oriana last year [to jordan] but never met, well we both on it again this xmas, never done xmas on a ship what should we expect xmas day and new years eve?

no info on p&o web

Yes that's right Duetto we were on the Oriana at the same time last year!! We haven't actually done Christmas away before so it'll be new for us as well.....we were on Oriana a few years ago, on the cruise that got back on 18th December, and the decorations were all in place ....and the chefs had made a gingerbread village in the atrium which was lovely!
                      I did read somewhere that some passengers decorate their cabin doors!! Extra packing of course and how does one fix things on the door??
                      I do know that Christmas dinner is in the evening and is usually a formal night....I presume it will be the same for New Years Eve but I don't know......If anyone can help us with this info we'd be grateful!!

Comment

saw a gingerbread village on the balmoral a few years back which ended just before xmas, I wish p&o on their web would list the entertainments too, would be great to see who will be there.

Comment

We did a New Years cruise down to the Bahamas, it was lovely being on a beach on New Year's eve; that night was formal in the DR and the deck party celebrations after made for a terrific holiday. I'd like to do Christmas but I am out-voted on that one every year.

Comment

Originally posted by Lesleyb, Warrington View Post
                            Thanks very much I'll put some photos on in January - if I can fathom out how to do it
                            Hi Lesley,
                            Which ship are you going on?
                            Brian.

Comment

Hi Trevor,
                              A timely and seasonal Thread!
                              This will be the first time we have been cruising over Christmas, although we were on Ventura for New Year 12/13.

We did agonise but the kids and grandkids will be with the other grandparents at a lovely little cottage in the Cotswolds, and we can call, Skype and Facetime them.
                              We agreed to have a second celebration and present opening when we are all together on New Years Eve.

P&O did a great job with the decorations on Ventura, gingerbread houses, Christmas tre in the atrium and garlands, tinsel and baubles everywhere.
                              New Years Eve was a double celebration - 8PM ships time - live via Sky news in the Exchange we saw in the New Year celebrations in the UK accompanied with the usual hats,poppers and streamers - and the 12 midnight shipos time up on deck - 3,500 people celebrating was a sight to behold!!
                              We are on Azura this Christmas and the itinerary shows us leaving Bonaire on 24th and being at sea for 25th and 26th before Barbados on 27th overnight - then the flight back - on my Birthday - 9 hours on a plane - what a way to celebrate!

Brian.

Comment

Oh, not thought of being in Lisbon for New Year - means that we can't have a double celebration as they're on the same time as us in the UK! Last year, we kept having celebrations all day as it kept being midnight somewhere - and we had an inclusive drinks package! Just hope that the weather will be kind to us at midnight, last time we were in the Med for New Year's Eve it was blowing a gale and bouncing down!

Comment

We use cookies to give you the
                                best experience possible.

By continuing to use our website you
                                agree to our cookie policy

Working...
                                X