• Ahoy there! Why not join the UK’s largest cruising forum? The Cruise.co.uk forum is the perfect place to meet and interact with likeminded cruisers to have invaluable conversations. Whether you're a veteran cruiser or looking to set sail on the sea for the first time, everyone is welcome on our forum to participate in the hottest conversations in the cruising world. So, what are you waiting for? Join the forum today by clicking here to register!

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Will Lower Deposits Help

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Will Lower Deposits Help

I have Noticed that P&O are offering a reduced deposit £50pp and RCI as low as £25 T&Cs apply and they are limited by time ;
    Would this encourage you to book ?
    I am more than Happy to pay say the £150pp deposit on Celebrity but think would I really like to pay a !0% or 15% deposit,.
    To me a lower deposit should encourage people to book Earlier ,what do you think...Taffy
    ​Taffy

Low deposit would not encourage me to book a ship with a boring itinerary.

I respect that many cruise for the ship but I still cruise for the itinerary.

No incentive for me but I know someone who availed themselves of a low deposit and booked a cruise. They subsequently cancelled the cruise and had to pay the balance of the deposit - hundreds of pounds.

Annie

Comment

Originally posted by Taffy, Wales View Post
      I have Noticed that P&O are offering a reduced deposit £50pp and RCI as low as £25 T&Cs apply and they are limited by time ;
      Would this encourage you to book ?
      I am more than Happy to pay say the £150pp deposit on Celebrity but think would I really like to pay a !0% or 15% deposit,.
      To me a lower deposit should encourage people to book Earlier ,what do you think...Taffy
      Hi Taffy, It wouldn't encourage me to book a cruise early. The thing it may do is encourage people to book a cruise, due to low deposit, and not be particularly bothered if at a later date they cancel.

Comment

If you can cancel after paying a low deposit with no penalty it will encourage people to cancel at a late stage should the cruise price drop dramatically.

I suspect there will be a catch to discourage this.

As for me, the more I pay early on in the year, the less to pay on the final bill............Wilba
        Wilba

Comment

From P&O website:

Limited time low deposit offer terms

The low deposit offer of £50 per person is available on all departures outside balance due date (90 days prior to departure), excluding World Cruise 2016 products and Oriana cruise X601. This offer is applicable to new P&O Cruises Select Price or Early Saver bookings made between 1 November 2014 and 30 November 2014. The low deposit offer is not applicable to Saver prices or other promotional prices. We reserve the right to withdraw the offer in whole or on individual cruises at any time.

Back to top of page

Comment

I would imagine somewhere in the small print, it's stated, that in the event of cancellation, the normal deposit would have to be paid in full.

Last year I booked a cottage holiday with a special low deposit offer of just £25.00. Unfortunately, because of the illness of a family member, I had to cancel before the balance was due. A cancellation fee of £250 was charged, which was the normal full deposit. As I was fully aware of the conditions when I booked, it was not an unexpected charge.

As is always recommended, read the Terms and Conditions carefully, before you book.
            Last edited by Blondie, Oxford; 21st November 2014, 10:59 AM.

Comment

It would not encourage me either,If i want a cruise i will book it,in fact a larger deposit pleases me as the balance is less!!! Ha ha. Jan.

Comment

I honestly don't factor the price of the deposit into my thoughts on booking - it's not really relevant, is it?

Ship, itinerary, and total price; isn't that all that matters?
                Duncan S

See my blog!

Comment

If we had the same option as the Americans where they can cancel with no loss of deposit it wouldn't matter how much you paid.
                  Regards
                  Garfield

Comment

Our friends had been looking for a cruise for the four us for next June. They shopped around the cruise TA's and eventually booked directly with Celebrity. Celebrity matched the best offer they'd got and we got the added benefit of not having to pay the final payment until 8 weeks before sailing. Some TA's require the final payment up to 16 weeks before departure.

Cheers OSD
                    Our cruising days are over now.................

Comment

Yes it would sway me. Booking a cruise for say 2016 for a family of four at £50pp is a huge saving on a family's monthly budget than say £150pp. That's £400 that I don't need to think about to secure my holiday! That's a difference between let's book that now and let's hope the ship/itinerary/cabin grade is available next week/month etc.
                      I worked in travel many years a go and at launch of summer in January we used to offer low deposits with the remainder due in so many weeks time.it was a success.
                      Also Haven do this now I've been to Devon to the big Devon cliffs site with a girl friend and all the kids a few times If you book whilst you are there you pay a low deposit with another instalment due a couple of months later.
                      It gives companies cash flow and an idea of passengers and it gives the holidaymakers the option to stagger payments.
                      Past cruises:
                      Carnival Conquest October 2002
                      Independence of the Seas October 2012
                      Independence of the Seas May 2014
                      Explorer of the Seas June 2015
                      Norwegian Escape October 2015

Comment

Since the Thomson case if they don't have your money then thye may have diffculty getting more.

Holiday penalties are often not a true estimate of loss which would make it quite hard for the company to win.

Did thomson/TUI ever go to appeal?

Comment

There is a realignment due, maybe not just in deposits but also in the idea that you pay in full so far in advance of the actual voyage.

It's a huge part of the cruise lines' business model to get their hands on our cash so long before any is actually 'spent' to our benefit, but it puts all the risk on the consumer's side. There are some European cases due in 2015/16 about payment terms generally; I don't know specifically if holiday's are being looked at, but I know flights are, and there's often overspill.

Comment

Originally posted by Hawkinsmg View Post
                            Yes it would sway me. Booking a cruise for say 2016 for a family of four at £50pp is a huge saving on a family's monthly budget than say £150pp. That's £400 that I don't need to think about to secure my holiday! That's a difference between let's book that now and let's hope the ship/itinerary/cabin grade is available next week/month etc.
                            I worked in travel many years a go and at launch of summer in January we used to offer low deposits with the remainder due in so many weeks time.it was a success.
                            Also Haven do this now I've been to Devon to the big Devon cliffs site with a girl friend and all the kids a few times If you book whilst you are there you pay a low deposit with another instalment due a couple of months later.
                            It gives companies cash flow and an idea of passengers and it gives the holidaymakers the option to stagger payments.
                            I share your view a good thing when the cruise lines entering there low booking periods ,and if your making a booking for a family it could make a difference ,especially as Christmas is coming.
                            We just paid £300 deposit with Celebrity it would have cost us Around £555 buying similar priced cruise from P&O ??
                            Over a Thousand pound for a family of four is a lot to lay out at this time of the year...Taffy
                            ​Taffy

Comment

Makes no difference to me. I've got to pay it all at some point. Less to pay with the large balance!
                              2015: Anthem of the Seas, Britannia, Ryndam, Explorer of the Seas
                              2016: Constellation

Comment

We use cookies to give you the
                              best experience possible.

By continuing to use our website you
                              agree to our cookie policy

Working...
                              X