• Ahoy there! Why not join the UK’s largest cruising forum? The Cruise.co.uk forum is the perfect place to meet and interact with likeminded cruisers to have invaluable conversations. Whether you're a veteran cruiser or looking to set sail on the sea for the first time, everyone is welcome on our forum to participate in the hottest conversations in the cruising world. So, what are you waiting for? Join the forum today by clicking here to register!

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Cruise lines testing the waters

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

    #46
    Originally posted by annie, Glasgow View Post

    Hi JC

    I don't know because generally I don't eat MDR dinner and opt for the Italian or Indian options in the buffet except for 1 occasion when I and an Aussie was served Indian food in MDR.

    My reference to Cottage Pie was prompted by a vlog of MSC Virtuosa lunch offering - Cottage Pie - I smiled.

    Annie
    Personally I wouldn’t eat in the buffet in the evening but hubby would, I will eat there for breakfast or lunch be never in the evening. I cruise to be pampered and to be served my food. However it’s great that cruise ships accommodate everyone who cruises with them.
    don't want to work, just want to cruise.

    Comment


      #47
      Originally posted by All at sea, Yorks View Post

      1pm Lunch in the Lido buffet

      3.30pm Afternoon Tea in Queens Room

      5pm Sushi time in the Lido


      Perfect!
      and dinner?

      We go for afternoon tea occasionally but usually just for a cup of tea. The odd delicate cucumber finger sandwich might pass my lips and maybe an unbuttered scone, but that's it. Light breakfast, light lunch and then dinner. Can't cope with more than that. Well I can but don't want to cope with the dieting once home!

      Comment


        #48
        Originally posted by Issyalex, Glasgow View Post

        Personally I wouldn’t eat in the buffet in the evening but hubby would, I will eat there for breakfast or lunch be never in the evening. I cruise to be pampered and to be served my food. However it’s great that cruise ships accommodate everyone who cruises with them.
        I rarely have breakfast in the buffet - too noisy. Over 90% time, room service breakfast

        Dinner service in the MDR IME is too long, too noisy and too many courses. 1 or maybe 2 courses and I am done.

        Just as well we are all different.

        Annie

        Comment


          #49
          Originally posted by Mrs M View Post

          and dinner?

          We go for afternoon tea occasionally but usually just for a cup of tea. The odd delicate cucumber finger sandwich might pass my lips and maybe an unbuttered scone, but that's it. Light breakfast, light lunch and then dinner. Can't cope with more than that. Well I can but don't want to cope with the dieting once home!
          We go to afternoon tea instead of lunch occasionally just to see the waiters faces when I ask for iced water instead of tea as I don’t like tea. Oh I also go for the cakes as I live in hope that there will be macaroons or meringue or carrot cake. I only like scones hot with butter so I don’t usually bother with them. As for cucumber sandwich 🤢🤮🤮🤮 but hubby loves cucumber.
          don't want to work, just want to cruise.

          Comment


            #50
            Originally posted by Issyalex, Glasgow View Post

            We go to afternoon tea instead of lunch occasionally just to see the waiters faces when I ask for iced water instead of tea as I don’t like tea. Oh I also go for the cakes as I live in hope that there will be macaroons or meringue or carrot cake. I only like scones hot with butter so I don’t usually bother with them. As for cucumber sandwich 🤢🤮🤮🤮 but hubby loves cucumber.
            Oh my. Carrot cake. Cunard does very tasty carrot cake.

            OK
            the very occasional square of carrot cake might just pass my lips too.

            However, all mitigated by the fact the only pudding I ever have is the very occasional Crepe Suzette.

            Comment


              #51
              Originally posted by Issyalex, Glasgow View Post

              We go to afternoon tea instead of lunch occasionally just to see the waiters faces when I ask for iced water instead of tea as I don’t like tea. Oh I also go for the cakes as I live in hope that there will be macaroons or meringue or carrot cake. I only like scones hot with butter so I don’t usually bother with them. As for cucumber sandwich 🤢🤮🤮🤮 but hubby loves cucumber.
              Hi Issy
              Heres one to start WW3

              Is it pronounced Scone or Scon?
              Cream on top of Jam or Jam on top of Cream?

              I’m Scon and Jam first with Cream on top……..not that I ever eat Scones and Jam is full of White Death.

              JC

              C P Scott,,,,,"Comment is Free,,but Facts are Sacred"
              "You are entitled to your opinion. But you are not entitled to your own facts.

              Comment


                #52
                Originally posted by jc, liverpool View Post
                Hi Issy
                Heres one to start WW3

                Is it pronounced Scone or Scon?
                Cream on top of Jam or Jam on top of Cream?

                I’m Scon and Jam first with Cream on top……..not that I ever eat Scones and Jam is full of White Death.

                JC
                Hi JC

                SCON of course as Gone

                Now what type of Scone are we discussing?? Fruit, Treacle, Cheese etc

                For myself, NEVER cream on a Scone.

                Anniee
                Last edited by annie, Glasgow; 24th May 2021, 08:02 PM.

                Comment


                  #53
                  Originally posted by annie, Glasgow View Post

                  Hi JC

                  SCON of course

                  Now what type of Scone are we discussing?? Fruit, Treacle, Cheese etc

                  For myself, NEVER cream on a Scone.

                  Anniee
                  Not even a nice dollop of Cornish Clotted Cream?

                  PS There’s a rather grand building in Scotland called Scone Palace.....how is that pronounced?
                  We passed it once en route north to Braemar.
                  Last edited by All at sea, Yorks; 24th May 2021, 07:50 PM.

                  Comment


                    #54
                    Originally posted by All at sea, Yorks View Post

                    Not even a nice dollop of Cornish Clotted Cream?

                    PS There’s a rather grand building in Scotland called Scone Palace.....how is that pronounced?
                    We passed it once en route north to Braemar.
                    No - wasted on me

                    Scone Palace - Skoon

                    Annie

                    Comment


                      #55
                      Originally posted by jc, liverpool View Post
                      Hi Issy
                      Heres one to start WW3

                      Is it pronounced Scone or Scon?
                      Cream on top of Jam or Jam on top of Cream?

                      I’m Scon and Jam first with Cream on top……..not that I ever eat Scones and Jam is full of White Death.

                      JC


                      Scon but you need to say it with a Glasgow accent to understand how I pronounce it. 😂

                      neither jam nor cream. 🤢🤮

                      btw JC you can buy no added sugar jams and marmalade from the big supermarkets. they only have the natural sugar from the fruit and they taste nice.
                      don't want to work, just want to cruise.

                      Comment


                        #56
                        Originally posted by Mrs M View Post

                        Oh my. Carrot cake. Cunard does very tasty carrot cake.

                        OK
                        the very occasional square of carrot cake might just pass my lips too.

                        However, all mitigated by the fact the only pudding I ever have is the very occasional Crepe Suzette.
                        Oooo now where do they serve the carrot cake? 🤔😀🍰 . I don’t know if I’m more excited about my cruise to the sun or the yummy carrot cake.
                        don't want to work, just want to cruise.

                        Comment


                          #57
                          Originally posted by Issyalex, Glasgow View Post

                          Oooo now where do they serve the carrot cake? 🤔😀🍰 . I don’t know if I’m more excited about my cruise to the sun or the yummy carrot cake.
                          In the Lido if you just want to sneak a piece to take back to the cabin without sitting down to Afternoon Tea.

                          Comment


                            #58
                            Originally posted by Mrs M View Post

                            In the Lido if you just want to sneak a piece to take back to the cabin without sitting down to Afternoon Tea.
                            Oh goody. I’m so glad I’ve booked a balcony as no one will see how much carrot cake I’ll be eating as after all it’s has carrots so part on my 5 a day. 😂😂😂
                            don't want to work, just want to cruise.

                            Comment


                              #59
                              Originally posted by Issyalex, Glasgow View Post



                              Scon but you need to say it with a Glasgow accent to understand how I pronounce it. 😂

                              neither jam nor cream. 🤢🤮

                              btw JC you can buy no added sugar jams and marmalade from the big supermarkets. they only have the natural sugar from the fruit and they taste nice.
                              Hi Issy
                              As a habitual reader of food labels and also a Carb counter you are right about natural sugars,,,that’s where the ‘no added sugars’ confuse people…..they add Fructose to make the product sweet,,,Fructose is not far off sugar.
                              Most fruits are full of sugar.
                              I can look at a jar of jam suitable for Diabetics and yet see Carb content between 30/50g per 100g of product.
                              I look for Carb content of around 10/20g per 100g of product.

                              JC

                              C P Scott,,,,,"Comment is Free,,but Facts are Sacred"
                              "You are entitled to your opinion. But you are not entitled to your own facts.

                              Comment


                                #60
                                Originally posted by Garfield, Waterlooville View Post
                                Current lunchtime menu in the Golden Lion on Cunard


                                Lunch Beer Battered Atlantic Cod Chips, Minted Mushy Peas and Tartare Sauce Steak,

                                Guinness and Mushroom Suet Pudding Parsley Fingerling Potatoes, Roasted Chantenay Carrots and Garden Peas

                                Oven-roasted Cumberland Sausage Bubble and Squeak, Mashed Potatoes and Rich Onion Gravy

                                Chicken Tikka Masala Saffron and Cardamom Basmati Rice, Onion Bhaji and Naan Bread

                                Cottage Pie Topped with Double Gloucester Cheese, Mashed Potatoes and a Herb Crumb with Seasonal Vegetables

                                The Golden Lion Ploughman’s York Gammon Ham, Mature Cheddar Cheese, Duck Mousse with Madeira, Pickled Onions, Vegetable Cruditiés, Branston Pickle and Artisan Bread

                                Portobello Wellington (v) Grilled Portobello Mushrooms Layered with Creamy Spinach, Sweet Potato Slices and Danish Blue Cheese, Baked in Flaky Puff Pastry with Balsamic Glazed Shallots

                                Sounds alright to me...

                                Garf
                                Remember that the presentation need not even reflect the description ......Need I say more?

                                Comment


                                We use cookies to give you the
                                best experience possible.


                                By continuing to use our website you
                                agree to our cookie policy

                                Working...
                                X