• Ahoy there! Why not join the UK’s largest cruising forum? The Cruise.co.uk forum is the perfect place to meet and interact with likeminded cruisers to have invaluable conversations. Whether you're a veteran cruiser or looking to set sail on the sea for the first time, everyone is welcome on our forum to participate in the hottest conversations in the cruising world. So, what are you waiting for? Join the forum today by clicking here to register!

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Back of the Queue

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Back of the Queue

And here's me thinking that the US are our allies. Obama is entitled to his opinion but his comment was more like big brother. What happened to "Its up to the British people".

Hi LRR
    If people have a good argument,that stands up,,why be frightened what other views people hold.
    He was asked for his view,he gave it
    For years Brexiters have told us the UK trading future is not with the EU but across the Atlantic,,today Obama destroyed that arguement.

PS,he also said 'It was up to the British people'

JC
    Last edited by jc, liverpool; 22nd April 2016, 07:29 PM.
    C P Scott,,,,,"Comment is Free,,but Facts are Sacred"
    "You are entitled to your opinion. But you are not entitled to your own facts.

Comment

Originally posted by jc, liverpool View Post
      ,today Obama destroyed that arguement.
      JC
      Who exactly is that idiot speaking for? Certainly not the American people, most of whom want him out asap.

Nothing changed when we joined the EEC, so nothing will change when we depart the EU.

Comment

Originally posted by Little Red Rouster, Lancaster View Post
        And here's me thinking that the US are our allies. Obama is entitled to his opinion but his comment was more like big brother. What happened to "Its up to the British people".
        Bottom line LRR is you have a vote, he doesn't.

Annie

Comment

Maybe its just me, but find it very funny how many comments there have been on here and everywhere else about Trump and the US election and yet complete indignation if anyone form outside Britain should dare to comment about us.

Comment

Originally posted by andyn, kensworth View Post
            Maybe its just me, but find it very funny how many comments there have been on here and everywhere else about Trump and the US election and yet complete indignation if anyone form outside Britain should dare to comment about us.
            Do we listen to the Americans and do they listen to us ? discuss

Annie

Comment

Hi Andy.
              The difference is that It's the US head of state who's made the comments. Our head of state hasn't made any comments about the US presidential election. She's keeps her opinions to herself, as he should, being a head of state. Perhaps Mr Obama should learn more about the art of diplomacy. Should a visiting head of state 'interfere' with other countries domestic issues and make veiled threats? I think he may live to regret his lack of diplomacy with making those comments.
              Cheers OSD
              Our cruising days are over now.................

Comment

The big difference is Obama flew over to the UK to comment and put his two penny worth in support of Cameron on the side of staying in the EU who is not just anyone...is he.

Comment

As Obama said he is not casting a vote but just offering an opinion, which personally I think he is fully entitled to do and I would bet before the referendum there will other World leaders also offering their opinions. Don't see any reason why he may live to regret passing an opinion.

"In a striking and lengthy intervention in the referendum debate, the president said while a deal would be possible it was “not going to happen any time soon”.

The warning is a damaging blow to the pro-Brexit campaign - which has said the UK would be able to negotiate its own agreement with Washington.

Speaking at a press conference in London alongside David Cameron, Obama said: “This is a decision for the people of the UK to make. I am not coming here to fix any votes. I am not casting a vote myself. I am offering my opinion.

“In democracies everybody should want more information, not less. And you shouldn’t be afraid to hear an argument being made. That’s not a threat, that should enhance the debate.”

Obama said predictions that the UK would easily be able to sign a trade deal with the US were misplaced.

“It’s fair to say, maybe some point down the line, there might be a UK-US trade agreement. But it’s not going to happen any time soon. Our focus is negotiating with a big bloc, the EU, to get at trade agreement done. And the UK is going to be the back of the queue.”
                  Last edited by Delboy, Essex; 22nd April 2016, 10:53 PM.
                  Delboy

Photo Albums

https://www.flickriver.com/photos/delboyalbums/sets/

or

https://www.flickr.com/photos/delboyalbums/albums

Comment

Originally posted by Little Red Rouster, Lancaster View Post
                    The big difference is Obama flew over to the UK to comment and put his two penny worth in support of Cameron on the side of staying in the EU who is not just anyone...is he.
                    Is he not also over here saying cheerio and I think there is some conference in Germany over the weekend??

However clearly DC's press office wrote some of the lines and JMO BO should not have uttered them.

During the Indyref we had Tom, Dick and Harry expressing their POV. Did it make any difference in the long run - not a jot - JMO.

Annie
                    Last edited by annie, Glasgow; 22nd April 2016, 11:11 PM.

Comment

You don't think it was because he is part Kenyan and has a grudge against the former Empire?

Comment

I suppose we shouldn't be surprised that the Brexiters now want to add another foreigner to the list of people to ignore, but wasn't the whole central claim that the rest of the world would come running to do trade deals with a newly liberated UK? Now the world's biggest mature market says ''No Thanks'' we're told it doesn't really matter because Obama will be gone soon, as if these sorts of policies are the personal position of presidents. Just another miscalculation of how the real world works.

And for those getting their undergarments in a bunch because he chose to comment as head of state, he is a political head of state. Our Queen isn't. Even if our Royal family our allowed to maintain a fiction about lack of political interference (cf Charles) the rest of the world, generally, marches to a different beat.

We shouldn't be surprised the Brexiters don't get it.

Comment

Looks like Obama is a fair weather friend? His comments can be safely ignored though, if he was up for re-election he would not get in again. And if he thinks by sending us to the back of a queue he will win us over he is just plain daft, American business will ensure we get a trade deal, why would they cut us off? We are good customers and good payers.
                          So bog off back Mt Obama, you will not me missed.
                          Next please?
                          Ps - Whilst he thinks the US wont welcome us, we can cut a deal with China and India quite easily.

Comment

The question you must ask is 'if we were not a member of the EU would you vote yes to join'. Mmmm let me think.

Comment

Mr Obama didn't just express an opinion, he also included a 'veiled threat' which in this context was uncalled for. They're usually reserved for your enemies. I can't recall Mr Cameron (our political head of state) passing any comments over the way Mr Obama runs his country, but there again our last few Prime Ministers have all toadied up to US presidents.
                              Being even handed, I don't think Boris Johnson should have brought Mr Obama's heritage into question though. Personally I don't think this influenced what he said.
                              Perhaps we should remember the old adage 'When you've got friends of the Americans, who needs enemies'.

Cheers OSD
                              Our cruising days are over now.................

Comment

We use cookies to give you the
                              best experience possible.

By continuing to use our website you
                              agree to our cookie policy

Working...
                              X