• Ahoy there! Why not join the UK’s largest cruising forum? The Cruise.co.uk forum is the perfect place to meet and interact with likeminded cruisers to have invaluable conversations. Whether you're a veteran cruiser or looking to set sail on the sea for the first time, everyone is welcome on our forum to participate in the hottest conversations in the cruising world. So, what are you waiting for? Join the forum today by clicking here to register!

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Only 1% of norovirus from cruise ships

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

    Only 1% of norovirus from cruise ships

    While newspaper and internet headlines might have some who don't know any better believing that norovirus, or the winter vomiting bug as it is known, is reserved solely for cruise passengers at sea, it's always nice when actual science allows cooler heads to prevail.
    And so it is with a new study from experts at the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention - the actual scientists who are dispatched to investigate ships operating in North American waters when an outbreak of the virus is recorded...

    Read the full article here!

    Cruise ships are often criticised for outbreaks of norovirus - but is that justified?
    Last edited by James, Cruise.co.uk; 6th June 2014, 08:38 AM.

    #2
    Though this seems to concentrate on American waters, I'm not at all surprised; as it says, NV crops up wherever people are together in a relatively small space

    I'll probably get flamed for this, but just occasionally there seems to be a bit of glee in the "plague ship" reports - almost a class envy thing if you like. There's nothing remotely "posh" or "stinking rich" about cruisers, as anyone who's been on one knows, but the image can be hard to avoid sometimes

    Cheers,
    Lynn

    Comment


      #3
      Originally posted by DaveA, Redditch View Post
      While newspaper and internet headlines might have some who don't know any better believing that norovirus, or the winter vomiting bug as it is known, is reserved solely for cruise passengers at sea, it's always nice when actual science allows cooler heads to prevail.
      And so it is with a new study from experts at the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention - the actual scientists who are dispatched to investigate ships operating in North American waters when an outbreak of the virus is recorded...

      Read the full article here!

      Cruise ships are often criticised for outbreaks of norovirus - but is that justified?
      I'm not at all surprised by the low figure, the problem being is that as soon as there's a reported outbreak it gets blown out of all proportion by the media. Hopefully this will dispel the myth about norovirus at sea, I very much doubt it though.

      NB.

      Comment


        #4
        Is it possibly becoming one of those urban myths, regarding NV on ships, the press love the Plague ship stories.
        I have been on a few ships that have had outbreaks of the virus it has never reached 20% of the passengers according to the numbers given out by the Captain.
        NHS Direct reckon that about 1million people a year get the virus in this country, and having had it twice in the last few years I am probably safer on a ship than in the local supermarket...Taffy
        ​Taffy

        Comment


          #5
          When the press announce 100 people have got Norovisus on-board a ship, it's probably an over-estimation. It also means 2,400 (or more) on-board don't have it.
          See my cruise blog: HERE

          Comment


            #6
            The cruiseline generally always gets the blame, when in fact it's almost certain to be a passenger who's carried it onboard in the first place, and most probably did not declare it on the medical information sheet when boarding, but that's another question.

            NB.

            Comment


              #7
              Originally posted by Norfolkboy, Norfolk View Post
              The cruiseline generally always gets the blame, when in fact it's almost certain to be a passenger who's carried it onboard in the first place, and most probably did not declare it on the medical information sheet when boarding, but that's another question.

              NB.
              There is a lot of truth in your comment NB , some may still be incubating it having been in contact the the virus on the way to the ship....Taffy
              ​Taffy

              Comment


                #8
                Originally posted by Taffy, Wales View Post
                There is a lot of truth in your comment NB , some may still be incubating it having been in contact the the virus on the way to the ship....Taffy

                Yes Taffy I totally agree, not sure what the incubation period is? So I suppose in cases such as this no one's at fault and it is beyond anyone's control.

                I've only encountered an outbreak once on a ship (not me luckily) I was sailing on Thomson Destiny, and I must say the crew were magnificent in their action to combat the spread, so much so they even had toilet attendants advising passengers to wash their hands before leaving along with serving you in the buffet area etc, and would you believe people still complained.

                What else could they do?

                NB.

                Comment


                  #9
                  A woman I know said that she was on a cruise and unfortunately there was an outbreak and she was one of the victims. She was in an Inside. All medical services were free and she was transferred to a Balcony to make the Quarantine period less upsetting.

                  Comment


                    #10
                    [QUOTE=Norfolkboy, Norfolk;613379]I'm not at all surprised by the low figure, the problem being is that as soon as there's a reported outbreak it gets blown out of all proportion by the media. Hopefully this will dispel the myth about norovirus at sea, I very much doubt it though.

                    By law the shipsdoctors have to report if more than 2% of the passengers have been infected ( both to the passengers and the authorities) so even on large ships this may be a low number. I have travelled on many ships where such an announcment has been made and , luckily ( or by good hygiene / crew actions) have never suffered once.

                    Media hype , sadly , is nothing new

                    Like all "epidemics" on land , with NV , there is a critical mass of infected persons before infection becomes rife and even 100%

                    You are more likely to get it (NV) from the kids ( schools) , doctors surgeries , hospitals , than on board ship

                    Comment


                      #11
                      You are more likely to get it (NV) from the kids ( schools) , doctors surgeries , hospitals , than on board ship

                      You are, yes - but it doesn't make such a good story for the tabloid rags

                      Cheers,
                      Lynn

                      Comment


                      We use cookies to give you the
                      best experience possible.


                      By continuing to use our website you
                      agree to our cookie policy

                      Working...
                      X