• Ahoy there! Why not join the UK’s largest cruising forum? The Cruise.co.uk forum is the perfect place to meet and interact with likeminded cruisers to have invaluable conversations. Whether you're a veteran cruiser or looking to set sail on the sea for the first time, everyone is welcome on our forum to participate in the hottest conversations in the cruising world. So, what are you waiting for? Join the forum today by clicking here to register!

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Possible first cruise on Indy :-)

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Possible first cruise on Indy :-)

Hello all,

I am hoping to go on Indy in October and would welcome any help/advice/suggestions........

1. I have read RCI brochure and I believe I am able to settle my final balance on last day paying cash. Could I ask, is their a minimum amount I have to give when I check-in? Do I set up the cash account in advance? There will be 3 of us travelling, so is it per person or per cabin?

2. Any idea how much the formal photo's cost?

3. Should I get dollars and travellers cheques? Will they charge me extra if I pay in travellers cheques on last day?

4. The cruise is just a short one around Europe, so I know I will need Euros. Again, should I get these before I go or on the ship?

5. I have been looking at a balcony cabin. TA has suggested deck 6, 7 or 8. Is there a particular deck you would suggest?

Sorry for the many questions
    x

It's certainly simpler if you get some Euros before you go.

I can't remember the cost of the photos but they are always overpriced on any ship!
    See my cruise blog: HERE

Comment

The first advice I would give would be to forget cash and use a credit card, but that aside, if you do pay in cash use US Dollar as the exchange rate they use to convert Sterling or Euro is appalling.

Formal photos from memory are $30..............Ouch!

Travellers Cheques?????????........I thought these went out of fashion with the Postal Order. Certainly many traders in Europe no longer accept them, although you should find the ship will.

The last figure I have seen mentioned is that you need to have a minimum of $250 in your account at any one time, but this is old info as using cash on cruise ships is something I and many of us no longer bother with.

As for the cabin it would be deck 6 as near the rear stairwell as poss for the convenience of all the most used places onboard..........Wilba
      Last edited by Wilba; 22nd February 2014, 09:33 AM.
      Wilba

Comment

Originally posted by Wilba View Post
        The first advice I would give would be to forget cash and use a credit card, but that aside, if you do pay in cash use US Dollar as the exchange rate they use to convert Sterling or Euro is appalling.

Formal photos from memory are $30..............Ouch!

Travellers Cheques?????????........I thought these went out of fashion with the Postal Order. Certainly many traders in Europe no longer accept them, although you should find the ship will.

The last figure I have seen mentioned is that you need to have a minimum of $250 in your account at any one time, but this is old info as using cash on cruise ships is something I and many of us no longer bother with.

As for the cabin it would be deck 6 as near the rear stairwell as poss for the convenience of all the most used places onboard..........Wilba

Thanks for all the info Wilba :-)

The reason I want to settle my account in cash (dollars), is I don't have a credit card and nor do I want one.
        Sorry to be ignorant re the Travellers Cheques........I have only ever cruised on P&O, so I have always settled my account in cash (sterling).

Gosh that is a lot for the photo's isn't it!! lol

Thanks for the advice re the cabins.

Comment

Is it still possible to get your pictures on a CD? I read somewhere that this was the case and it cost very little, a shame since they are all printed out and displayed but destroyed when the cruise finishes! Means you get dozens of pics to choose which you wish to print. Perhaps someone will know if this is the case.

Comment

Re the photos: we have invested in a fairly decent camera, a Nikon D3200, so will be taking a lot of our own photos. Am led to believe that on Indy we can purchase a "photo package". Don't have any details about the package yet, as ours is in June, and assume will be available nearer the time. Incidentally, we are finding it really annoying that we cannot book things like the photo package AND THE DRINKS PACKAGE until nearer the time of sailing. Would appreciate it if someone could tell us "WHY". Happy cruising.

Comment

RCCL have gone digital in their photo studios. You can view all the photos they take and select which ones to print off. Much better than all the hundreds they threw away each cruise. The photos they take as you disembark at each port are still displayed, but that's all....

Comment

If you are comparing costs of Indy against P&O, have you looked at the cost of tips on Indy, far more expensive than P&O.

As far as I was aware there was no photo package when I cruised on Indy.

My own photos on Indy

Collection: RCI, IOSeas, 2011 Mediterranean Cruise.
                Delboy

Photo Albums

https://www.flickriver.com/photos/delboyalbums/sets/

or

https://www.flickr.com/photos/delboyalbums/albums

Comment

Just had a look at the Royal Carribean Precruise planner for earlier dates.. Yikes, photo package works out at $230.

Comment

Originally posted by merlin67, Plymouth View Post
                    Re the photos: we have invested in a fairly decent camera, a Nikon D3200, so will be taking a lot of our own photos. Am led to believe that on Indy we can purchase a "photo package". Don't have any details about the package yet, as ours is in June, and assume will be available nearer the time. Incidentally, we are finding it really annoying that we cannot book things like the photo package AND THE DRINKS PACKAGE until nearer the time of sailing. Would appreciate it if someone could tell us "WHY". Happy cruising.
                    Morning,

If I may be so bold, why the WHY about prebooking photo packages and drinks packages? Are you in fear they may be limited and it's first come first served. That being the case you are so wrong.

The second you step aboard an American cruise line it is sell, sell, sell. No one will let you miss out on anything that involves reducing your bank account.

The only thing worth pre booking due to limitations are ships excursions, should you so wish, but many/most of us prefer to do our own thing on that front............Wilba
                    Wilba

Comment

Morning Wilba. Do understand what you are saying but, to explain, we are not on an infinite budget and prefer to get things paid for in advance so that we know what we will have to spend on the holiday. If we are planning a trip we always prefer to get things paid for sooner rather than last minute or later. This will be or first big holiday in a few years, so want o make it something special . Always believe in the phrase "forward planning"

Comment

Morning Wilba. Do understand what you are saying but, to explain, we are not on an infinite budget and prefer to get things paid for in advance so that we know what we will have to spend on the holiday. If we are planning a trip we always prefer to get things paid for sooner rather than last minute or later. This will be or first big holiday in a few years, so want o make it something special . Always believe in the phrase "forward planning"
                        Ah! When you said 'book' that is different to pre pay. 'Book a package' in cruise terms means add it to my onboard account as opposed to I want to pre pay before I go.

Worth bearing that in mind when you do actually arrange things so there is no doubt as to your requirements..........Wilba
                        Wilba

Comment

Royal Caribbean ships photo services are sold by Image Photo services. You can book and prepay on their website - MyCruisePhotos.com or you can wait and purchase them on board. Except for Formal evening photos I bet you could do as well yourself.
                          If you book services or an excursion pre- cruise, your credit card will be charged at that time..

Comment

Hi Kerry

Firstly be assured you will have a wonderful time on Indy - we did (our 1st ever cruise last year) and are now hooked…!!!

As you have not got a Credit Card I would strongly advise getting your Dollars and Euro's prior to departure - all rooms have a safe for you to stash them…..this way you will get a better deal and can shop around. We didn't take Travellers Cheques so I can't offer advice on the exchange fee's but can tell you that although not extortionate it was more costly to change Sterling to Dollars on ship.

Meanwhile, as others have said the photo's are pricey…no need to buy a package unless you wish to pre-pay….basically there are a squillion opportunities for photo's on ship….as you board, at every port, formal evenings e.t.c…..pose for as many as you like (they will scan your ID card) then you can pop to the photo area on ship, log in to a monitor with your Seapass card and view all the photo's you have had taken and purchase what you want from one to several. Again they are pricey - we spent abut £200 on ours….however for us it was well worth the pennies…..we are a family of four with a 6 and 7 year old and the novelty of actually having some photo's with all four of us on was worth the cost - especially as for a change everyone had their eyes open and had managed a smile :-)

We were on Deck 7 Forward on the Starboard side in a Balcony Cabin…..ours was the 1st cabin forward so a brilliant view….!!!! I can recommend Deck 6 or 7 - both are super quiet as away from the entertainment venues and only have cabins above and beneath so no early morning or late night noise. I would suggest a more mid-ship location than we had though….more convenient for getting about and away from the anchors…..we had a few early morning wake-ups when docking early as we were so far forward….that said it added to the fun lol….!!!

Have a wonderful time - so much do you will have a fabulous break.

Regards the other Kerry in Staffordshire :-)

Comment

If you book services or an excursion pre- cruise, your credit card will be charged at that time..[/QUOTE]

Spot on - so if you manage to wangle some onboard credit and want to use that against excursions, etc. you would have to wait until onboard to book.

Bill

Lawnmowerman

Comment

We use cookies to give you the
                              best experience possible.

By continuing to use our website you
                              agree to our cookie policy

Working...
                              X