• Ahoy there! Why not join the UK’s largest cruising forum? The Cruise.co.uk forum is the perfect place to meet and interact with likeminded cruisers to have invaluable conversations. Whether you're a veteran cruiser or looking to set sail on the sea for the first time, everyone is welcome on our forum to participate in the hottest conversations in the cruising world. So, what are you waiting for? Join the forum today by clicking here to register!

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Bad weather & rough seas which ships / cruiselines

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Bad weather & rough seas which ships / cruiselines

We have only cruised a few times and because the OH is prone to motion sickness we have played it safe with where and what time of the year we have gone to reduce the odds of poor weather and seas.
    Next year we are looking at a couple of cruises where we will probably experience rough seas, are there certain ships / cruiselines which would in your opinion be less affected by the weather, are the larger resort type ships less likely to be affected.

The bigger modern ships do have stabilisers on them which helps.
    sigpicMAL

Comment

IF you are considering any P & O ship---it is my estimation (and other long time P & O cruisers have agreed) that the AURORA sails the rough seas better than the ORIANA------Both ships are lovely and not too big with both about 1800 passengers----good facilities-good dining--and that's something to consider. Enjoy.

Comment

Hmmmmm.... Oriana was the one ship we looked at across Atlantic in January, may have to re think that one

Comment

Big new ship do prove to be more stable, but they tend to 'judder' rather than 'pitch and roll' or 'rise and fall' in the 'classic' manner.

Compare the 'gross tonnage' of ships. many new ships are effectively 3-4 times bigger than the likes of Fred Olsen's fleet, for example.

The Queen Mary 2 is DEFINITELY the most stable ship of them all - PERIOD. She is a purpose build 'modern' Ocean Liner.

Combine a big ship, with an amidships cabin (on a lower deck) in the summer months.
          Last edited by Malcolm, Essex; 28th February 2012, 10:15 PM.
          See my cruise blog: HERE

Comment

Originally posted by Malcolm Oliver, Essex View Post
            Big new ship do prove to be more stable, but they tend to 'judder' rather than 'pitch and roll' or 'rise and fall' in the 'classic' manner.

Compare the 'gross tonnage' of ships. many new ships are effectively 3-4 times bigger than the likes of Fred Olsen's fleet, for example.

The Queen Mary 2 is DEFINITELY the most stable ship of them all - PERIOD. She is a purpose build 'modern' Ocean Liner.

Combine a big ship, with an amidships cabin (on a lower deck) in the summer months.
            Stabilisers have no effect when a ship is running into a head or stern sea,but depending on the wave period a large ship could prove very uncomfortable,so just get a few rums inside you and hold on tight.
            In bad weather where it is possible a ships master will try and avoid the worst of the weather for the sake of his passengers,this happened last year on the Arcadia heading home from iceland to avoid the worst of a deep depression the ship headed sw into the atlantic and went round the storm.

jim

Comment

Originally posted by Wolfy, Shrewsbury View Post
              Hmmmmm.... Oriana was the one ship we looked at across Atlantic in January, may have to re think that one
              There are many ships now twice the size (and more) compared to Oriana and Aurora.

My wife gets sea-sick. At times she has had the on-board Doc's 'magic injection' - well worth the money!
              See my cruise blog: HERE

Comment

If rough seas are a problem Wolfy, why sail in them? Have you considered flying to the calmer waters of the Med, Caribbean, Middle East or Far East?

We cruised out of Southampton for many years and my wife hated those first and last days of the cruise being bounced around the English Channel, but the first time we flew to the Med, stepped onboard and never felt the ship move for the whole of the cruise, that sealed it for the next 30 odd cruises.

The times we have encountered rough seas on Fly/Cruises I can count on one hand, once in the Med and once coming back into New York from the Caribbean, both around Nov/Dec.

In the last 15 years I think we have cruised ex UK on two occasions, most recently on the QM2, and as others have said, this ship is built for the oceans. The only way you could tell it was rough was by looking out the window.

The fact that you can barely detect movement on her is quite uncanny............Wilba
                Wilba

Comment

Originally posted by Malcolm Oliver, Essex View Post
                  There are many ships now twice the size (and more) compared to Oriana and Aurora.

My wife gets sea-sick. At times she has had the on-board Doc's 'magic injection' - well worth the money!
                  Hello Malcom.
                  Has your wife ever tried 'Sea Bands'? You can buy them at most chemists or online. They are worn on each wrist and work on acupressure points there to relive all types of nausea & sickness within minutes. Not only that, but they are totally drug free, so no issues with drowsiness either. I find that they work like an absolute charm for me. Perhaps they may they do the same for your wife too. Here's a link for them..
                  Sea-Band for your motion sickness & morning sickness relief

Comment

Originally posted by Pippa, Kernow View Post
                    Hello Malcom.
                    Has your wife ever tried 'Sea Bands'? You can buy them at most chemists or online. They are worn on each wrist and work on acupressure points there to relive all types of nausea & sickness within minutes. Not only that, but they are totally drug free, so no issues with drowsiness either. I find that they work like an absolute charm for me. Perhaps they may they do the same for your wife too. Here's a link for them..
                    Sea-Band for your motion sickness & morning sickness relief
                    By all means try the Sea Bands, they work for some people, but not for me. I take Stugeron, without any drowsyness, but if you are feeling ill, why would you not want to sleep if you are affected? My 'back-up' remedy is ginger in tablet or capsule form from the health food shop. This is an ancient Chinese remedy that has been shown to work for people who can't take, or are not cured by, conventional tablets. I gave some to an Amercian gentleman on a trans Atlantic crossing last year, even though his nausea was possibly not caused by the sea, he said he felt much better.

Also be conforted by the fact that the captain and crew would also prefer to be comfortable and will avoid any adverse weather conditions if at all possible. Judith

Comment

Hi All,
                      Some great tips, much appreciated.

Comment

Ginger chews are very good from health food shop, and I take Kwells. We were in a force 9 to 10 last year going to the fjords and this worked for me.

Comment

I too would recommend the QM2 when we joined it in New York last October for the final leg of her 24 day cruise along the East coast and Canada the people at our table told us they have just sailed through very rough seas, they said a storm force ten. (Their claim not mine) and said the ship and they came through it very well. But I remember on our first cruise my wife felt very queezy and had an injection which worked immediately, she has never been bothered with it since. I believe because she knows that if she is, an injection is available to cure her.
                          It seems to me that rudeness is the refuge of the incompetent

Comment

I find that ginger works well, but prefer mine with scotch!

Comment

When we sailed on Ventura, we hit a patch of bad weather on the way home, off the coast of Portugal, before we reached the BOB, it lasted for about 24 hours. I thought Ventura handled it extremely well, although we took Stugeron with us, we never needed to use it.

Reading from the cruise log, which P&O gave us at the end of our cruise (don't know if they still do), it reads.

"At approx 01:20 Ventura rounded Cape Vincent and set a northerly course to parallel the Portuguese coast. Our speed was impaired due to the rough seas and storm force winds. This also led to Ventura pitching and pounding into the seas.

Weather: Partly Cloudy, Dry, Very Rough Seas
                              Wind : Northerly Force 9
                              Temperature:16C (61F)"

As well as the ships log which included a list of the officers on board, we also got at the end of our cruise a Folder containing a copy of all the menu's for the 14 nights of the cruise, in the MDR, do they still give those out.
                              Last edited by Delboy, Essex; 29th February 2012, 03:02 PM.
                              Delboy

Photo Albums

https://www.flickriver.com/photos/delboyalbums/sets/

or

https://www.flickr.com/photos/delboyalbums/albums

Comment

We use cookies to give you the
                              best experience possible.

By continuing to use our website you
                              agree to our cookie policy

Working...
                              X