• Ahoy there! Why not join the UK’s largest cruising forum? The Cruise.co.uk forum is the perfect place to meet and interact with likeminded cruisers to have invaluable conversations. Whether you're a veteran cruiser or looking to set sail on the sea for the first time, everyone is welcome on our forum to participate in the hottest conversations in the cruising world. So, what are you waiting for? Join the forum today by clicking here to register!

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Venice finally does it.

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Garfield, Waterlooville View Post
    I wonder who will replace the hundreds of millions of Euros this will cost them.

Garf
    The tourists who do not arrive by cruise ship. Many visit and stay. The canals and water transport, the museums, churches, galleries and historic theatres and concert venues will be there to attract them and their spend per head may well be higher than that by cruise passengers.

Banning the largest cruise ships will avoid destruction by water erosion from their wash and preserve the fabric for longer for visitors and locals. Environmental sustainability is as important as economic considerations.

Comment

We have been over this before, ships contribute a relatively small proportion of the tourist load.

Comment

I am glad we have had the experience of sailing in and out of Venice twice, but I can well understand the effect the large ships have on the canals and buildings. The scare stories of tourist gouging in the main areas put us off spending money there. A Vaporetto ticket and a coffee in a side street cafe is about the limit for us, but we do enjoy exploring on foot. Our visits have been in spring and fall, so crowds haven’t been an issue.

In my opinion, too many large cruise ships have spoiled the experience of smaller ports. Our first cruise was to Alaska, more than twenty years ago and even then with two ships docked the population of Skagway was outnumbered by passengers. I have no desire to go back now Diamonds International has arrived and five or six large ships dock at in port together. Some places are victims of their own success.

Sheila

Comment

Originally posted by Wilba View Post
          I am someone who spends money in Venice as a cruise passenger, as I always fly out two or three days earlier, spending in hotels, bars and restaurants prior to boarding.

Venice appeals to me as a ‘walking city’, so at the end of my stay I can wheel my suitcase to the People Mover, pay €1.50 to get to the dockside and get the feeling I have walked from hotel to ship in a matter of minutes.

The ‘Sail In and Sail Out’ along the canal has as always been a major part of Venice’s attraction for many cruise passengers, so the change to an industrial dock, must surely have a negative effect on the romanticism of what Venice is all about.

I just wonder how long this new ruling will be in place before yet another change of heart by the powers that be………..Wilba
          I spend plenty when I’m cruising from Venice. 2/3 nights pre departure hotel plus all the lunches and dinners and the occasional vino of course.

Comment

From my observations, albeit not scientific, it is the local "boat traffic" racing up and down continually for most of the day and night leaving huge wakes behind them that cause the most wash damage. Cruise ships come in in the morning and leave in the late afternoon at much much slower speeds.

With regards to busing cruise ship passengers from a new cruise terminal some way away, will this create major traffic problems and will the buses be able to disembark passengers close enough to where they want to be?

Comment

Originally posted by mike, lanarkshire View Post

I spend plenty when I’m cruising from Venice. 2/3 nights pre departure hotel plus all the lunches and dinners and the occasional vino of course.
              Hi mike
              But do you spend much in Venice when on a ship as a port of call,,,,a big difference.

I spend a fortune on a Barcelona weekend,,,but spend next to nothing on a cruise ship visit.

JC
              C P Scott,,,,,"Comment is Free,,but Facts are Sacred"
              "You are entitled to your opinion. But you are not entitled to your own facts.

Comment

Originally posted by jc, liverpool View Post
                Hi mike
                But do you spend much in Venice when on a ship as a port of call,,,,a big difference.

I spend a fortune on a Barcelona weekend,,,but spend next to nothing on a cruise ship visit.

JC
                There are some of us who enjoy the opportunity of doing a bit of shopping whilst in Venice. Those lovely window displays are very tempting.

Comment

Hi mike

JC
                  Good point JC but in fairness, I can’t recall visiting Venice as a “port of call”. I always seem to depart from Venice. If stopping in Barcelona, we tend to spend a fair bit on food / drinks despite the excellent facilities on board the ship. As you well know, Barcelona is a Mecca for Spanish food and it would be wrong not to partake when there. Some of our favourite tapas restaurants are in Barcelona.

Comment

Originally posted by mike, lanarkshire View Post

Good point JC but in fairness, I can’t recall visiting Venice as a “port of call”. I always seem to depart from Venice. If stopping in Barcelona, we tend to spend a fair bit on food / drinks despite the excellent facilities on board the ship. As you well know, Barcelona is a Mecca for Spanish food and it would be wrong not to partake when there. Some of our favourite tapas restaurants are in Barcelona.
                    Same here, on both counts................Wilba
                    Wilba

Comment

Venice as a turnaround port could easily move many don't stay in Venice pre cruise taking advantage of cheaper rates mainland and day trip in or just come straight from the airport.

Port day much more practical to be central but plenty of space to bus people in at the cruise terminal and drop them at the people mover.

one change we made in recent years on port days especially to places been before is seeking out decent places to eat, previously it was more about liquid refreshments.

Greenock can't beat the all-day brunch at The James Watt

Comment

Hi all
                        A lot of people now book hotels (cheaper) in the Mestre district over the bridge from Venice.
                        Mestre adjoins Marghera where the new cruise terminal is being built.

JC
                        C P Scott,,,,,"Comment is Free,,but Facts are Sacred"
                        "You are entitled to your opinion. But you are not entitled to your own facts.

Comment

Hi all
                          A lot of people now book hotels (cheaper) in the Mestre district over the bridge from Venice.

JC
                          We've stayed in Mestre a couple of times before a cruise, in order to spend more time in Venice. We would get the bus into the city and spend hours walking round in order to enjoy Venice at our own pace.

We discovered some lovely restaurants in the back streets that didn't cost an arm and a leg like those in St Mark's Square. I remember on one occasion, sitting on the steps in the square for a breather but were asked by the tourist police to move on, as it wasn't allowed.

I'm glad we did it when we could because I don't think I could do it now.
                          Jill

Comment

Hi all

JC
                            Oh Dear!

The rows I have had with cruise agents that offer a pre cruise stay in Venice, only to find out later that the stay is in Mestre.

No Way! If I'm staying in Venice I want the canals to be outside my front door..................Wilba
                            Wilba

Comment

And me..in fact I booked a hotel on Wilbas advice that has a vaporetto stop more or less outside and is within a couple of minutes of the people mover.
                              Also within a 5-10 minute walk of the station.

Garf

Comment

I’m happy that we had the chance to sail in on Equinox 8 years ago for our 30th wedding anniversary but as we sailed out I couldn’t help but notice the silt that was being churned up by our ship. Not long after that I started reading about the impact of the big ships on the fabric of Venice and I have to agreed with the locals. I would love to visit again but I think we’d like to go for a few days when it’s quieter just so we could enjoy exploring it in Greater depth.

Take care. Helen

Comment

We use cookies to give you the
                                best experience possible.

By continuing to use our website you
                                agree to our cookie policy

Working...
                                X