• Ahoy there! Why not join the UK’s largest cruising forum? The Cruise.co.uk forum is the perfect place to meet and interact with likeminded cruisers to have invaluable conversations. Whether you're a veteran cruiser or looking to set sail on the sea for the first time, everyone is welcome on our forum to participate in the hottest conversations in the cruising world. So, what are you waiting for? Join the forum today by clicking here to register!

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Has RCI's 'Dynamic Dining' Failed?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Has RCI's 'Dynamic Dining' Failed?

Please see my blog: http://wp.me/pfRKD-4gk
    See my cruise blog: HERE

The main problem RCI had was they kept changing things and failing to communicate effectively to their customers.

To effect any flexible system you need more staff and dining capacity as there is tendency for people to want to eat at similar time causing a pinch point.

Even NCL suffers from this just as much as other lines.

Princess on many ships have 3 fixed seating an extra early one where that dining room converts to flexible and peoples tables are reused as they leave to help with peak demand.

Turn up at 9pm on princess or celebrity and flexible is nearly done only stragglers left, with traditional second sitting(8:30) will only just be getting into full swing as people just finish starters.
    Last edited by Topdeck, London; 12th May 2016, 07:10 AM.

Comment

Just asking, does it matter ?

Annie

Comment

To some it does,

For RCI dynamic dining means we make it up from week to week.
        Their reactions to issues were ill considered and the move to Dynamic Choice/classic created a hybrid that just is a compromise too far for many.

There are a significant core that like fixed or the ability to create their own fixed with flexible.
        Those that think flexible means when you want where you want( kind of what the lines sell) can come unstuck when they are part of that group that turns up with everyone else and end up in a line to get seated.
        (probably the same people that turn up early and stand in line for fixed seating)

RCI kept changing things so people did not have a clue what arrangements would be in place on their trips.
        Some it was even worse they pre planned booking things on line in advance only to have all their booking removed because the dining ahad changed and they had to do it all again but then their show booking needed work as well.

We like flexible options and it is a consideration when booking if there are other ships doing similar but only have fixed.
        we also like to eat late sometimes, on Celebrity eating after nine on flexible can be a problem.

Comment

As I am never likely to go on a ship with dynamic dining I could not care more or less .

Why do we have to keep linking t your web site Malcolm ,not that hard to post on here....Taffy
          ​Taffy

Comment

who knows,

Maybe needs that traffic up...

Comment

I've just got off Ovation and Dynamic worked a treat for us.
              Some people just need to moan at something.

Regards
              Garfield

Comment

If you take Epic and Quantum they are both well equipped to get everybody through dining as long as they all don't want to eat at 7:00-7:30

Similar size at around 4100-4900 pax depending on how full the cabins get.
                Both have sitdown(non buffet) dining in excess for 2500 with Epic having around 300 more pay capacity over quantum.

Where both fall down is buffet capacity Epic has around 200 more but Quantum has more alternatives for Breakfast lunch with the cafe style locations.

Comment

Originally posted by Taffy, Wales View Post
                  As I am never likely to go on a ship with dynamic dining I could not care more or less .

Why do we have to keep linking t your web site Malcolm ,not that hard to post on here....Taffy
                  Taffy can not see what wrong with posting link, I for one enjoy reading Malcolm's blog, after all is only a 'click'
                  Malcolm actually writes interesting stuff about cruising and never ever bragging about his epics unlike some other posters on the web.
                  Last edited by pennbank, UK; 12th May 2016, 10:24 AM.

Comment

Gosh it all sounds so complicated! I'm used to just turning up when I choose, with whom I choose and being seated. Sometimes, if we hit a very busy patch, we might be kept waiting a few minutes, but we are not in a hurry.

Comment

I actually think Royal have had a hard time of it with people moaning about Dynamic.

So many people have booked this ship and ignored all of the information about how the system works. We booked with the intention of embracing the new system, and it worked marvellously for us.

We referred the all of the entertainments times that were published in advance, along with the port schedule, and booked most of our dining in advance to ensure we had at least one visit to each restaurant. We weren't stuck to fixed times which can be a pain when late in port or when a bunch of entertainment stacks up at once.

On the handful of days we didn't pre-book the restaurant we use the RoyalIQ app to book dining in the morning/afternoon for that evening.

Anthem had a wide variety of restaurants that were all beautifully themed and mostly had great food options.
                      Duncan S

See my blog!

Comment

I much prefer traditional dining in the MDR, not a fan of 'speciality' restaurants as in my experience this has pushed down the quality of food served in the MDR with the intention of encouraging passengers to pay more - Epic is a prime example of this. You can get a burger or Jamie's Italian on land, for me it's not an attractive proposition at all.

Having a set dining time I also find helps give structure to the day

Comment

Originally posted by dst87, Falkirk View Post
                          I actually think Royal have had a hard time of it with people moaning about Dynamic.

So many people have booked this ship and ignored all of the information about how the system works. We booked with the intention of embracing the new system, and it worked marvellously for us.

We referred the all of the entertainments times that were published in advance, along with the port schedule, and booked most of our dining in advance to ensure we had at least one visit to each restaurant. We weren't stuck to fixed times which can be a pain when late in port or when a bunch of entertainment stacks up at once.

On the handful of days we didn't pre-book the restaurant we use the RoyalIQ app to book dining in the morning/afternoon for that evening.

Anthem had a wide variety of restaurants that were all beautifully themed and mostly had great food options.

I haven't tried Dynamic Dining, but reading the responses it seems to be more suited to those who are used to anytime dining and doesn't appeal to people who are fans of fixed seating. Being tech savvy probably helps too. I like to vary my dining time according to port times and entertainment options, so might enjoy dynamic dining on a future cruise.

Comment

It has been hinted by others but although the flexible dining on ships is sold with the anytime anywhere message unless you do nothing less it does tend to be driven by other stuff.

If there is a show at 8pm and you want to take your time(1.5-2hr) over dinner you are sitting to eat 6-6:30 or after the show say 9:00.

Add in port times other entertainment loyalty lounge times etc and your dining windows become quite restricted.

Then you find 1/2 the ships decides to do the same as you, and there is a line to get seated.

Comment

We have not done dynamic dining yet but are fans of Celebrity and enjoy the food and ambience ( it's quieter) in Blu, the Aqua Class restaurant.

What works for us is the early show, usually at 19.00 followed by a leisurely meal around 20.00, if we have to wait for a table we wil go and have a glass of wine and listen to some music whilst waiting.

Comment

We use cookies to give you the
                              best experience possible.

By continuing to use our website you
                              agree to our cookie policy

Working...
                              X