• Ahoy there! Why not join the UK’s largest cruising forum? The Cruise.co.uk forum is the perfect place to meet and interact with likeminded cruisers to have invaluable conversations. Whether you're a veteran cruiser or looking to set sail on the sea for the first time, everyone is welcome on our forum to participate in the hottest conversations in the cruising world. So, what are you waiting for? Join the forum today by clicking here to register!

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

dinning restaurant v buffet

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

    #31
    There have been a couple of comments on here from people who have mentioned ordering extra food. This got me thinking... in a land based restaurant I can't recall any occasion when I have ordered another steak or lobster, or all the desserts. I have seen passengers start a meal and then tell the waiter they don't like it and order something else, I wonder would they get away with that in their local Bistro? I have been known to order a scoop of icecream with my dessert but that is about it.

    Is it because there won't be a bill at the end that some people feel it is ok to order more than they normally would?..Carol

    Comment


      #32
      Originally posted by Guy, Ormskirk View Post
      There have been a couple of comments on here from people who have mentioned ordering extra food. This got me thinking... in a land based restaurant I can't recall any occasion when I have ordered another steak or lobster, or all the desserts. I have seen passengers start a meal and then tell the waiter they don't like it and order something else, I wonder would they get away with that in their local Bistro? I have been known to order a scoop of icecream with my dessert but that is about it.

      Is it because there won't be a bill at the end that some people feel it is ok to order more than they normally would?..Carol
      Outstanding comment Carol. Loved it.

      Comment


        #33
        A few years ago used to a chinnese restaurant in the evenings the food was good and good portions, then one day used the lunch time session for a meal the food portions were half size, asked for a proprer portion as it was too small. They brought out a bit more which was ok till I got the bill and was charged for two portions i refused to pay, police called in the end just paid for one portion, never went back there again pity really as the quality of the food was good.

        Comment


          #34
          Mix & match for me too, but I imagine it varies with the cruiseline. We usually go to the MDR for lunch because it's less crowded (although on port days, we're usually off the ship and eating out), but always make sure to note the special (particularly Indian) evenings in the buffet before we book any of the speciality restaurants, and we're quite happy to miss the MDR on those nights.

          Comment


            #35
            guy
            where did you see lobster on the menu on my two cruises [BALMORAL & INDEP OF SEAS] never saw at all, we check the mdr menu each day before going to the buffet...........david

            Comment


              #36
              We spend enough time queuing in daily life. When cruising it is the MDR and waiter service every time. Happy future cruising.
              Oriana
              Oceana
              Ventura
              Queen Mary 2
              Queen Victoria
              Queen Elizabeth

              Comment


                #37
                We prefer small meals, and no sitting around waiting to be served, so it's usually the buffet, except on formal nights. We also like to try all the speciality restaurants, but only have 2 courses, and we watch out for speciality nights such as the Indian, and Fish Night, in the buffet.
                Jo.
                Jo.

                Comment


                  #38
                  Well I didn't 'cos I wasn't on your cruise My comment was more to do with the behaviour of cruisers when there isn't a bill at the end of the meal...Carol

                  Originally posted by DUETTO, Staines View Post
                  guy
                  where did you see lobster on the menu on my two cruises [BALMORAL & INDEP OF SEAS] never saw at all, we check the mdr menu each day before going to the buffet...........david

                  Comment


                    #39
                    People ordering wine will not have any baring on your wait time for service, but being polite to your table waiters might.
                    Don't ask the waiters about the food, they are not chefs and only serve it, ask the Maitre'D who in my experience always speak perfect English, and he will be able to give you a vegetarian or gluten free menu for the following night.
                    As for portion sizes you can ask for two steaks on the same plate, or just order again, but that would probably keep your table mates waiting for the next course, while you devour it.
                    And Fred O, like most other cruise lines do serve Lobster usually once in the cruise, it's on the menu, and is usually served on the formal or Gala night.

                    Comment


                      #40
                      You can email about your wife being a vegan so they know before you go.

                      I email about a no salt diet so I am sure you can about a vegan diet.

                      Comment


                        #41
                        diamond did this with each cruise a waste of time, but recently phoned marco polo they already cater for vegans said they gets lot of them, other cruise ships said just speak with chef or staff but the sales office must be unaware of the foriegn staff have no understanding of vegan and find it hard to grasp what it is.

                        Comment


                          #42
                          Ahem........................! Before taking issue with the quality of the waiters' English, it might be as well to check that our own usage of the written word is as good as it might be!

                          Comment


                            #43
                            Originally posted by MikeS, Manchester View Post
                            Ahem........................! Before taking issue with the quality of the waiters' English, it might be as well to check that our own usage of the written word is as good as it might be!
                            Ouch!!!!!!
                            It seems to me that rudeness is the refuge of the incompetent

                            Comment


                              #44
                              Originally posted by Seanda, Sutton Codfield View Post
                              MDR for breakfast or lunch (can't do both ) MDR or speciallity restaurant for dinner, I don't do buffets at home so no way am I going to pay 2K for the privilege whilst on holiday.....

                              Sean
                              Couldn't have put it better myself Sean. But do occasionaly like to go there for a small pizza and salad in the afternoon
                              It seems to me that rudeness is the refuge of the incompetent

                              Comment


                                #45
                                Originally posted by Seanda, Sutton Codfield View Post
                                MDR for breakfast or lunch (can't do both ) MDR or speciallity restaurant for dinner, I don't do buffets at home so no way am I going to pay 2K for the privilege whilst on holiday.....

                                Sean
                                Sean!
                                In my opinion I have done some pretty damn good buffets at home in my time, but not a patch on what's on offer on a cruise.
                                Each to their own as has been said many times.
                                sigpic*Carol M*

                                Comment


                                We use cookies to give you the
                                best experience possible.


                                By continuing to use our website you
                                agree to our cookie policy

                                Working...
                                X