Topic: Tenders

Tenders

Hi all, Im new to the forum so just hope im doing this correctly. My husband and myself are going on a cruise in September which we booked a year ago. The reason we booked so long ago is my husband is a wheelchair user and we wanted to make sure we were able to get a disabled cabin as I know there isn't too many! I was shocked and disappointed when we received details of our cruise last week and out of the 5 tours there is one, and possibly 2, that a tender will have to be used. If we had been made aware of this when booking we would have considered a different cruise where tenders didn't have to be used but we didn't know about this until last week. A tender is out of the question where my husband is concerned so it is a big disappointment to us. I wish staff would let customers know all details when booking and not a few weeks before we are due to travel.

It is a shame that you weren't aware - and of course you would have known if you had come here before you booked the cruise. Even so I wouldn't let it spoil things too much - many passengers stay on board from choice and there is usually plenty to do. On a port-intensive cruise it's is also a chance to have a relaxing day - maybe use the spa, which may well offer a discount.

I am sure you and your husband will have a wonderful time anyway.

The trouble with having an open mind, of course, is that people will insist on coming along and trying to put things in it.
    T Pratchett.

Depends who you cruise with, Royal caribbean were fantastic with wheelchair users and made sure they got on and off first and the access was very safe and everybody was very helpfull

Hi I can apprepricate your diasappointment at finding out that the cruise you have booked has one or two tender ports. However, depending upon the length of the cruise (if it's a two week cruise, this isn't exceptional). In defence of the cruise company (unless the itineary has been altered) this would have been made clear in the brochure. My mother also uses a wheelchair (she cruises a great deal, about three or four times a year) and often doesn't get off the ship, she enjoys making use of the ships facilities when the ship is quiet. I would advise you to accept the situation and make the best of it (just consider it extra relaxation time). I do hope you don't think I am being harsh but I wouldn't want this situation to ruin your holiday.

Trace Guest
    we sailed on Thomson spirit last month, had to tender at Mykonos, it said in the cruise news the evening before that it wasn't suitable for wheelchair passengers, however, as we wandered around mykonos we saw two different people off our ship, in a wheelchair, so it must be manageable, maybe it depends on the distance on the tender, or the tender staff, I'm not sure, but I wouldn't take it as a definate "no" just yet. hope this helps.

Images
    There was a thread a few months ago which reported the problems that Thompson had with wheelchair users .The particular case was settled out of court,but briefly a wheelchair user threatened to sue because the ships staff said that she could not be safely put into a tender boat.
    cant remember the ship but it was a Fjords cruise and the ship had no entry ports and every one had to decend a steep gangway to the tender I think that freds gave her a free cruise and a trip up in a helecopter.
    I think that freds said they were partly to blame in that they had not made it clear in their brochure that in certain ports and on certain ships wheelchair users would not be able to get ashore.

jim

I think it may also depend on the amount of mobility the wheelchair user has. If they are able to stand and walk a short distance then I've often seen the staff providing a lot of support in helping wheelchair users access tenders although I believe the wheelchair must be collapsible. However this process would be impossible without a limited degree of mobility. The access stairs to the tender platform can be steep and is narrow so I can understand that this would be pretty impossible for someone with no mobility.

It would be a good idea to contact your cruise line. These days most publish a contact number for enquiries from people with disabilities and they will be able to let you know the exact circumstances applicable to your ship and individual circumstances.

Cruising my way through life!

Sue