• Ahoy there! Why not join the UK’s largest cruising forum? The Cruise.co.uk forum is the perfect place to meet and interact with likeminded cruisers to have invaluable conversations. Whether you're a veteran cruiser or looking to set sail on the sea for the first time, everyone is welcome on our forum to participate in the hottest conversations in the cruising world. So, what are you waiting for? Join the forum today by clicking here to register!

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

What do ladies wear on formal night? Please help!

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

    What do ladies wear on formal night? Please help!

    Hi, I am going on my first cruise on 22nd April-Thomson Dream round the med. I love to dress up so this is no problem - but please can you help with what to wear on formal night. I haven't even bought a new outfit for this cruise, as I have lots of beautiful things which I hardly get the chance to wear. I have a few silky dresses, knee length, which are quite nice, but don't possess a full length evening gown. What do ladies wear on formal night? Is it all out glamour in full evening wear or would my dresses be OK, I wouldn't want to feel out of place? As it is our first cruise I haven't bought an evening dress...in case we don't like it (hardly likely), and then would not be worn again. If we get the bug-I will buy one for next time. My hubby has bought a tux so he will look the business. Also is it acceptable to wear trousers, maybe not on formal night but on other night-I think we will eat in the restraunt rather than buffet in the evenings? I have lots of beautiful sparkly tops which look glam with trousers?Any help would be appreciated. Thanks

    #2
    You wear what is comfy to you..

    Hi,as you have lots of nice clothes..as we ladies always do and don't seem to wear unless a VERY special occasion.I would just take what you have a dress up a little with jewellry and a nice pair of evening shoes matching bag and maybe a wrap.

    We have done 5 formal eves and the choices people wear vary SO much.....from evening ball gowns to a simple knee length little black number....with delicate trimmings.

    Trouser suits are stunning too so I say again..............if you see a little long number you really like .go and get it.otherwise......take what you have and just enjoy the experiance...
    Don't let anyone tell you its a must for a long dress though.......its all down to your taste and how you will feel.
    I know when we did our first 1 though My hubs was not looking forward to wearing a penquin suit:p but he loves them now........enjoy your cruise and a big welcome .......
    take a look at the topic Glad rags.........our second pick is of me and my hubs and another friend we went with and I have a short black and gold number on.....
    Last edited by Sue, Grimsby; 11th April 2010, 07:05 AM. Reason: info added
    some call me Mrs Early Bird......:p

    oooo and I guess we want a badge too.
    Adventure Oct 2011,Indy Feb 2012. Allure Aug 2012.

    Comment


      #3
      In my experience a high proportion of men will wear DJs however not as high a proportion of women will wear full length evening dresses. You won't be out of place if you do wear full length but the majority of women will be in cocktail dresses to calf length or glitzy separates (floaty skirts, satin trousers, sparkly tops, etc - you gt the idea). I have 3 full length evening dresses that I use for work functions but I never take them cruising with me and stick to cocktail dresses on board.

      This does also depend on the line but I think, from memory, the majority on Thomsons are pretty formal. The Italian lines seem a little more relaxed.
      Cruising my way through life!

      Sue

      Comment


        #4
        Originally posted by Jewels, Manchester View Post
        Hi, I am going on my first cruise on 22nd April-Thomson Dream round the med. I love to dress up so this is no problem - but please can you help with what to wear on formal night. I haven't even bought a new outfit for this cruise, as I have lots of beautiful things which I hardly get the chance to wear. I have a few silky dresses, knee length, which are quite nice, but don't possess a full length evening gown. What do ladies wear on formal night? Is it all out glamour in full evening wear or would my dresses be OK, I wouldn't want to feel out of place? As it is our first cruise I haven't bought an evening dress...in case we don't like it (hardly likely), and then would not be worn again. If we get the bug-I will buy one for next time. My hubby has bought a tux so he will look the business. Also is it acceptable to wear trousers, maybe not on formal night but on other night-I think we will eat in the restraunt rather than buffet in the evenings? I have lots of beautiful sparkly tops which look glam with trousers?Any help would be appreciated. Thanks
        Hi Jewels.
        Rule no.1-don't worry about it. It's easy for us women and a full length gown is not a must; if it was, I would probably have trouble being short. Anything dressy will be fine.
        Rule No.2 Have a great time.

        Jill

        Jill
        Jill

        Comment


          #5
          Originally posted by Smith, Crayford View Post
          Hi Jewels.
          Rule no.1-don't worry about it. It's easy for us women and a full length gown is not a must; if it was, I would probably have trouble being short. Anything dressy will be fine.
          Rule No.2 Have a great time.

          Jill

          Jill
          Jill

          Much more succinct than my answer and 100% right. We ladies have it much easier than the chaps as we can get way with almost any style of dress on these nights except for casual.
          Cruising my way through life!

          Sue

          Comment


            #6
            You want short & to the point.....Elegance my dear...elegance!
            Another thought is it's a Thompsons cruise hardly a masked ball on the Queen Mary.

            Comment


              #7
              Originally posted by johnthed0g, UK View Post
              You want short & to the point.....Elegance my dear...elegance!
              Another thought is it's a Thompsons cruise hardly a masked ball on the Queen Mary.
              Now, now, 'john the dog' I won't have anyone criticising Thomson ships.:D:D....there is one formal night per week on Thomson cruises and perhaps 95 % of the passengers wear either a dinner suit or a dark lounge suit with shirt and bow tie or tie and the ladies either long or cocktail length dresses or evening trousers with glittery tops...others who don't want to dress formally dine in the buffet restaurant....in our experience about the same formality as P and O cruises although not as many per week.

              Comment


                #8
                Hi Jewels, as Sue, Grimsby said, 'take a look at the topic Glad Rags.' Lots of nice photos which will give you an idea about what people wear. Here is the link:

                http://www.cruises.co.uk/674-questio...glad_rags.html

                Have a great time, and enjoy.

                Comment


                  #9
                  thanks everyone as my wife is fretting about our cruise on thompson destiny on 23rd October as were on island escape b4 the dry dock extension.
                  regards to you all brian

                  Comment


                    #10
                    Loved our cruise on destiny 2 years ago. Have heard it is much nicer than the island escape. Waiters were fantastic.

                    Comment


                      #11
                      thanks

                      Originally posted by Trish, sudbury View Post
                      Loved our cruise on destiny 2 years ago. Have heard it is much nicer than the island escape. Waiters were fantastic.
                      thsanks trish
                      regards brian ;);)

                      Comment


                        #12
                        Forum nights can be fun, but it's interesting that the majority (maybe all) of the luxury lines stick to a country-club casual dress code!
                        For me I just wish people would stick to whatever dress code is in place. There's nothing worse than people ruining an ambiance with their jeans and t-shirt when 95% of the ship is dressed to impress!
                        Eliza Annis

                        Comment


                          #13
                          Have a fabulous time, and remember the most important thing is to be comfortable in your posh frock or trousers. Hitching up straps or pulling down a skirt does not make for a comfortable evening. You will see all manner of outfits onboard, so best jewellery on and enjoy it!

                          Comment


                            #14
                            Originally posted by pliskin2003, poole View Post
                            thanks everyone as my wife is fretting about our cruise on thompson destiny on 23rd October as were on island escape b4 the dry dock extension.
                            regards to you all brian
                            Errmmmmmmm I thought Thompson had disposed of Destiny a year or two ago?
                            sigpic

                            Comment


                              #15
                              This thread was started nearly four years ago.

                              Comment


                              We use cookies to give you the
                              best experience possible.


                              By continuing to use our website you
                              agree to our cookie policy

                              Working...
                              X