• Ahoy there! Why not join the UK’s largest cruising forum? The Cruise.co.uk forum is the perfect place to meet and interact with likeminded cruisers to have invaluable conversations. Whether you're a veteran cruiser or looking to set sail on the sea for the first time, everyone is welcome on our forum to participate in the hottest conversations in the cruising world. So, what are you waiting for? Join the forum today by clicking here to register!

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Cunard dress code change?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Cunard dress code change?

Hi all
    A storm seems to be brewing on another forum........
    It seems dress code on peoples Voyage Personalisers for upcoming cruises is changing.

Formal and Informal (Jacket req) is changing to Gala Night (was Formal) and Smart Attire (was Informal).
    Looks like they are moving into the 21st century at last!!!

An example,,,,,,it is reported the changes will start some time in June.

Voyage M821
    10 June - New York Embark - Dress: Informal (Jacket Required)
    11 June - Sea Day - Dress: Formal (Royal Cunard Ball)
    12 June - Sea Day - Dress: Informal (Jacket Required)
    13 June - Sea Day - Dress: Formal
    14 June - Sea Day - Dress: Informal (Jacket Required)
    15 June - Sea Day - Dress: Formal (Roaring Twenties Ball)
    16 June - Sea Day - Dress: Informal (Jacket Required)
    17 June- Southampton Disembark

The dress codes for our next two voyages were just posted today in voyage personaliser and are not exactly what I was expecting. Here is what is listed within the itineraries for those two voyages.

Voyage M822
    17 June - Southampton Embark - Dress: Informal (Jacket Required)
    18 June - Sea Day - Dress: Gala Evening (Black & White Ball)
    19 June - Bergen - Dress: Smart Attire
    20 June - Alesund - Dress: Smart Attire
    21 June - Flaam - Dress: Smart Attire
    22 June - Stavanger - Dress: Gala Evening (Masquerade Ball)
    23 June - Sea Day - Dress: Smart Attire
    24 June - Southampton Disembark

You might see me on Cunard yet Mrs M

JC
    C P Scott,,,,,"Comment is Free,,but Facts are Sacred"
    "You are entitled to your opinion. But you are not entitled to your own facts.

I prophesied this a year ago that it was only a question of time before Cunard caved in to formality. It was just a question of how they would word such a change..............Wilba
    Wilba

Comment

It will make the line more attractive to many BUT.

could be catch 22 for Cunard

Take away the only reason some people cruise with them, the forced formality, there is no reason not to look at other lines.
      Last edited by Topdeck, London; 28th March 2018, 09:53 AM.

Comment

Blimey. The old Cunarders will be having a fit. Without wanting to re start the old dress code debate, our recent Celebrity cruise in the Caribbean seemed to show a marked lack of desire to dress formally. On evening chic nights I saw only about 3 men in DJs.

Comment

I would prefer the old dress code.

Comment

Indifferent.

Annie

Comment

Doe this mean that men will not have to wear a jacket at dinner every evening?

I have no problem with the dress code, except that it seemed unfair that we women could feel comfortable in a warm restaurant whereas many men looked uncomfortable in their jackets.
              Jill

Comment

Originally posted by Smith7 View Post
                Doe this mean that men will not have to wear a jacket at dinner every evening?

I have no problem with the dress code, except that it seemed unfair that we women could feel comfortable in a warm restaurant whereas many men looked uncomfortable in their jackets.
                Smart Attire opens up a wealth of dress. Some think ripped jeans look smart..............Wilba
                Wilba

Comment

What’s really different? Does Smart Attire mean no jacket required? If so, my husband might be persuaded to give Cunard another go.

Comment

http://www.cruise.co.uk/bulletin/dis...g-dress-codes/

https://www.cruise.co.uk/forum/673-c...ress-code.html

Comment

Originally posted by Victoria, Aberystwyth View Post
                      What’s really different? Does Smart Attire mean no jacket required? If so, my husband might be persuaded to give Cunard another go.
                      Smart Attire/Smart Casual means no jacket in my book.
                      Wilba

Comment

Originally posted by PeterM, Southwell View Post
                        Blimey. The old Cunarders will be having a fit. Without wanting to re start the old dress code debate, our recent Celebrity cruise in the Caribbean seemed to show a marked lack of desire to dress formally. On evening chic nights I saw only about 3 men in DJs.
                        I understand that QE will be based in Australia part of 2019/20. Many Australians are not big on formal - I know that from my HAL cruise.

Could it be that Cunard will vary dress code by geographical region??

Annie

Comment

I think that's already happening judging by a recent review. The reviewer was having a major strop because many Australians did not observe the dress code and Cunard staff did nothing to enforce it.
                          Originally posted by annie, Glasgow View Post
                          I understand that QE will be based in Australia part of 2019/20. Many Australians are not big on formal - I know that from my HAL cruise.

Could it be that Cunard will vary dress code by geographical region??

Annie

Comment

One link not working?
                            And the other is from 2016?....Taffy
                            ​Taffy

Comment

Evenings will be split into 2 different dress codes. You will be notified of the evening's dress code in your Daily Programme. As a guide, these will be:

Formal:
                              Evening wear consists of an evening or cocktail dress or smart trouser suit for ladies. A tuxedo, dinner jacket or dark suit with appropriate neck wear for men or you may wear formal national dress and military uniform.

Informal (Jacket Required):
                              Evenings would consist of a required jacket and optional tie for gentlemen, whilst ladies should wear cocktail dresses, stylish separates or equivalent. No jeans or shorts.

Informal (Jacket Optional):
                              The Informal (Jacket Optional) dress code amendment applies to Queen Victoria's summer fly Mediterranean season on embarkation days only, in Athens, Barcelona, Rome and Venice. Queen Mary 2 and Queen Elizabeth will continue to have the standard Formal and Informal (Jacket Required) dress codes. The ship's newspaper will confirm the dress code of the day.

Guests who have Athens, Barcelona, Rome and Venice as a port during their voyage and are already settled in on board are encouraged to wear a jacket.

Please note that after 6:00pm, shorts and blue or worn denim (for men and women); sandals and sleeveless tops (for men) are not considered appropriate within the ship.
                              On formal nights, any guests wishing to dress more casually are welcome to dine in the Kings Court or Lido restaurants and relax in the Carinthia Lounge, Winter Garden, Garden Lounge, Yacht Club, G32 or on the open decks. Please do not use other areas within the ship, including The Verandah restaurant, out of respect for our fellow guests.
                              From Cunards web site.....Taffy
                              ​Taffy

Comment

We use cookies to give you the
                              best experience possible.

By continuing to use our website you
                              agree to our cookie policy

Working...
                              X