• Ahoy there! Why not join the UK’s largest cruising forum? The Cruise.co.uk forum is the perfect place to meet and interact with likeminded cruisers to have invaluable conversations. Whether you're a veteran cruiser or looking to set sail on the sea for the first time, everyone is welcome on our forum to participate in the hottest conversations in the cruising world. So, what are you waiting for? Join the forum today by clicking here to register!

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Cruise Co Dining Guide

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Cruise Co Dining Guide

The Dining Guide received today, 21 Mar 15, gives the dress code for many lines indicating which ones have "Formal" nights & what to wear. The list would be much improved if it showed the percentage wearing "Black tie", "dark suit" and "jacket & tie". Perhaps Cruise Co could ask the cruise operators for this information. Forum members might be able to assist.

I would find it hard to give percentages as it can vary so much on the same line. Sailing from Southampton with no weight restrictions, compared to sailing from Venice with a more cosmopolitan demographic, also has some bearing.

Personally any excuse to dress up so I wear what I want too and don't care if others don't follow the suggested dress code..Carol

Comment

Many advertise formal nights but the number of people conforming gets less every year. Out of the 16 plus cruise lines I have now sailed with I would say that the only ones where the majority conform are Cunard, P&O, Fred Olsen and Saga. Some have done away with them and more are likely to do so in the near future. Times are changing as the companies cater for a new generation of cruisers. Traditionalists will mourn the passing but we are entering a new era with new ships and new concepts.
      Fossil1

Comment

Originally posted by Fossil1, London View Post
        Many advertise formal nights but the number of people conforming gets less every year. Out of the 16 plus cruise lines I have now sailed with I would say that the only ones where the majority conform are Cunard, P&O, Fred Olsen and Saga. Some have done away with them and more are likely to do so in the near future. Times are changing as the companies cater for a new generation of cruisers. Traditionalists will mourn the passing but we are entering a new era with new ships and new concepts.
        Agree entirely, Fossil.

It's variable cruise by cruise depending on the particular group on board, but no denying the general direction of travel.

That said, there's still a sizeable number of traditionalists, so the formal experience will still be there to be found, it just won't be the default cruising experience.

Comment

Recently did 14 night celebrity with three formal nights.
          One guy on our table came each night with slacks and Fred Perry tee shirts

Comment

Originally posted by 59a, brandon View Post
            Recently did 14 night celebrity with three formal nights.
            One guy on our table came each night with slacks and Fred Perry tee shirts
            If Maitre D' allows them into the MDR - I am pretty relaxed.

Annie

Comment

We use cookies to give you the
            best experience possible.

By continuing to use our website you
            agree to our cookie policy

Working...
            X