• Ahoy there! Why not join the UK’s largest cruising forum? The Cruise.co.uk forum is the perfect place to meet and interact with likeminded cruisers to have invaluable conversations. Whether you're a veteran cruiser or looking to set sail on the sea for the first time, everyone is welcome on our forum to participate in the hottest conversations in the cruising world. So, what are you waiting for? Join the forum today by clicking here to register!

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

How would you cope??

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

How would you cope??

Hi All

I have picked this up from another site and I wondered how I would cope. How would you??

A couple fly into Venice for a 19 day repo cruise to Dubai.

They arrive a day ahead of the cruise as a precaution against flight delays.

They split their clothes between 2 suitcases as sensible people do - however their luggage does not arrive.

4 days into the cruise, the luggage has still not arrived. They are not alone - other passengers and some of the crew are in the same position.

How would you cope??

Annie

Badly. I suppose I'd have to buy whatever I could from wherever I could but I don't go on holiday to go shopping, so it would be quite a blow. It happened to my brother - not on a cruise, on a several months long business trip - and that's what he had to do. His luggage was never found.
    Logic will get you from A to B.
    Imagination will take you everywhere.

Comment

I think I would be Ok as I always travel with too much luggage. I don't travel light.

Comment

Originally posted by MAGGIEMOU, CYPRUS View Post
        I think I would be Ok as I always travel with too much luggage. I don't travel light.
        But your luggage would be missing so how would you be OK Maggiemou.

Comment

This could be the start of a nude cruise, You never know what could happen. lol

Comment

Was it both suitcases? If so argh!! Lol
            I would have bought some essentials in Venice before boarding, hoping that my cases would turn up in the next day or so.
            I would have to be desperate to buy clothes onboard as the clothes they sell in the onboard shops are old fashioned and expensive. I would hand wash my undies and tee shirt every night till we docked.
            Last edited by Issyalex, Glasgow; 1st December 2014, 07:44 PM.
            don't want to work, just want to cruise.

Comment

Originally posted by Issyalex, Glasgow View Post
              Was it both suitcases? If so argh!! Lol
              I would have bought some essentials in Venice before boarding, hoping that my cases would turn up in the next day or so.
              I would have to be desperate to buy clothes onboard as the clothes they sell in the onboard shops are old fashioned and expensive. I would hand wash my undies and tee shirt every night till we docked.
              Yes all the checked airline luggage.

I am unsure of how many European ports they had prior to the Suez canal but they probably hoped the luggage would be rerouted. 4 days into the cruise still no luggage and we have not heard anymore.

Who wants to spend port time shopping??

Logistics could be a nightmare.

I do concede that I now carry 2 days clothes in my hand luggage.

I met some Australians last year who were travelling through Europe with only 10kg of hand luggage - their trip including a cruise was 6 weeks long. I did wonder if they had had a previous lost luggage event which shaped that behaviour.

Annie

Comment

This happened to friends of ours. The cruise line accommodated them with free rentals of formal wear, and they had swimwear and nightwear in their carry ons, but for four days they washed out underwear and tops and managed with what they wore on the flight. Their luggage eventually caught up with them.

Comment

My cases went missing a few years ago and they were delivered during the night to the Hotel, I am really stressed now when cases are delayed until I see them on the carousel! Although it was only for a few hours, it felt like a miserable start to the holiday. I am bit more prepared now and make sure I have spare pr of shoes and a few items in my hand luggage that would get me by, but like most I guess, I want my own things around me and it would impact hugely on me for that length of time!

Comment

Originally posted by Little Red Rouster, Lancaster View Post
                    But your luggage would be missing so how would you be OK Maggiemou.

I think they would have a hard time losing all my 19 pieces of luggage.

Comment

Our flight from Manchester to Heathrow was late and we had to run to catch the Mumbai flight. Of course our luggage didn't make it to Mumbai but BA thought it would come on the next flight. Luckily we were not sailing until the next day and the hotel very kindly laundered our clothes and provided all the toiletries we needed. The suitcases were delivered to our hotel room the next day in plenty of time before leaving for the ship.
                      All I could think about was the time a group of Canadian passengers joined the ship in Lisbon but their luggage didn't arrive. There was no opportunity for the luggage to catch them up as the next stop was Puerto Rico. They were invited to help themselves to whatever had been left by previous passengers and the laundry was free. The next time they saw their suitcases was at San Juan.
                      sigpic
                      Tiggertom
                      shaken, not purred

Comment

After spending 10 years of trying to persuade our friends to join us on a cruise, we eventually succeeded and off we all went on 12 night eastern Caribbean sojorn. We arrived in Miami and waited for our baggage (6 cases) around the carousel of doom. It was a no show and the BA desk informed us that our cases were still at Heathrow but they would arrive on the morning flight. Next morning the concierge at the hotel informed us that BA couldn't locate our baggage so they laid on a complementary minivan to take us to the Super Walmart for a one stop shop. Five of the six cases caught up four days later when we docked at St Maarten. The final case which contained our friends formal wear turned up nearly six months later. Luckily Celebrity gave us a dispensation so we could dine in the MDR on the formal evenings.

Unfortunately we're always apprehensive now whilst waiting at the carousel of doom for our baggage.

Cheers OSD
                        Our cruising days are over now.................

Comment

Would never dream of joining a fly cruise without my airline carry-on. Don't go anywhere without the essential 'back up for the evenings', dark suit/shirt & tie and black shoes. Anything else casual for the day time one can always buy at the first port of call .. for me the evenings are really important . Only got caught out once and never again

Comment

I literally couldn't think of a worse scenario,I'm always a little on edge waiting for my luggage to arrive.....Always remember waiting desperately for my toddlers potty (the only one he would use) to show up on the carousel at Malaga airport. It was the last item and there it was in all it's glory having lost all its wrapping en route but still with its label attached.....Girl at the check-in had insisted it should go in the hold....

Comment

Originally posted by MAGGIEMOU, CYPRUS View Post
                              I think they would have a hard time losing all my 19 pieces of luggage.
                              The question is about a fly cruise MM and losing ALL their luggage, not a sail from Southampton cruise as we both do.

Even though I pack on a his and hers, 50:50 basis in all our cases, making sure that this goes with that, I could not ever see us making do with having to procure outfits from the shops on board..............logo wear or outdated stuff, thanks, no way, as I'm sure you also feel.

Our hand luggage carries all our essential medication and has no room for a couple of changes of clothing except on our return when medication is relegated to suitcases.
                              Last edited by Diva18, UK; 1st December 2014, 11:16 PM.

Comment

We use cookies to give you the
                              best experience possible.

By continuing to use our website you
                              agree to our cookie policy

Working...
                              X