• Ahoy there! Why not join the UK’s largest cruising forum? The Cruise.co.uk forum is the perfect place to meet and interact with likeminded cruisers to have invaluable conversations. Whether you're a veteran cruiser or looking to set sail on the sea for the first time, everyone is welcome on our forum to participate in the hottest conversations in the cruising world. So, what are you waiting for? Join the forum today by clicking here to register!

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

January cruise to Portugal and the western Med.

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

January cruise to Portugal and the western Med.

I have just booked a cruise departing Jan 6th 2015 calling at La Coruna, Oporto, Casablanca, Malaga, Cadiz and Lisbon. As I have only cruised in summer I would like some advice as to the clothes to pack especially for the excursions and day time on board and any other tips that you might have.

Each of these resorts have differing temperature ranges. The further south the warmer the weather in general terms. January sees rain, wind and mist in this area. You can find average temperatures for each port on line ; they range from 9C to 17C. It will generally start cool from Uk and get progressively warmer as you go South. Take layers and light water proofs. I may be in the Bay of Biscay at same time as you- I leave Liverpool 5th Jan for Canaries! Here's hoping for a smooth crossing.I am visiting Lisbon 8th&9th and Oporto on return.

Comment

Welcome to the forum ! Didn't notice it was your first post!

Comment

Hello and welcome to the forum. We cruised to Lisbon, Cadiz and LA Coruna last December, weather was very mixed so I agree with the comments by Lacey re taking layers and waterproofs - better to be prepared! Whatever the weather I am sure you will have a fantastic cruise, I hope the BOB is kind for you.
        Oriana
        Oceana
        Ventura
        Queen Mary 2
        Queen Victoria
        Queen Elizabeth

Comment

Thank you for your comments and advice. I forgot to mention that this will be my first cruise on my own so I am a little apprehensive. At least I have been on the ship before so that is familiar to me but tips would be most welcome.

Comment

Originally posted by Linda, Bolton View Post
            Thank you for your comments and advice. I forgot to mention that this will be my first cruise on my own so I am a little apprehensive. At least I have been on the ship before so that is familiar to me but tips would be most welcome.
            Which cruise line are you on? Have you selected a large table- if you have the choice? Many cruise lines seat solo passengers together if set dining times for dinner. Fred Olsen had a Singles breakfast table which was a nice start to the day. Thomson had lunch meetings hosted by the Cruise staff - as I was travelling with my sister I did not attend but as she retired before me it may have been possible to meet someone to share late evening with. MSC are not so good ( in my experience) at sitting singles together and I did not learn of any other opportunities to meet other singles. If you are travelling down by coach you may meet other passengers before you embark, as I did. I was invited to join other groups a couple of times when they noticed I was alone. I do hope you enjoy your cruise.

Comment

We've been to all those places in Nov/Dec and had every sort of weather!
              Layers are the answer - make sure you wear your winter coat to get on the ship, as you might well need it in La Coruna! Freezing cold wind there last November
              Have a great time!
              I used to travel in a campervan until I discovered cruising
              sigpic

www.campervantraveller.weebly.com

Comment

We had gales and lashing rain in La Coruna one May...so we've got out the padded jackets for our November visit...
                Welcome to the forum, Linda!
                Jo.

Comment

Thank you for all your comments. I am a little late in replying - the run up to the festive season caught up with me! I will be travelling down to Southampton by coach and it's apparently the only coach for that ship. I am travelling with P and O on the Oriana ad I believe that they do have things for solo travellers. Not long to go now!

Comment

We use cookies to give you the
                  best experience possible.

By continuing to use our website you
                  agree to our cookie policy

Working...
                  X