• Ahoy there! Why not join the UK’s largest cruising forum? The Cruise.co.uk forum is the perfect place to meet and interact with likeminded cruisers to have invaluable conversations. Whether you're a veteran cruiser or looking to set sail on the sea for the first time, everyone is welcome on our forum to participate in the hottest conversations in the cruising world. So, what are you waiting for? Join the forum today by clicking here to register!

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

I've taken the plunge!

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Dave, Whitstable
    started a topic I've taken the plunge!

I've taken the plunge!

After years of saying, "I'm not dressing up like a penguin for formal nights, my ordinary suit will do fine," today I finally took the plunge and went the whole hog. I bought a proper dinner outfit. And it's the real thing - dinner suit, trousers with stripes down the legs, dress shirt with a sticky-up collar, bow-tie (I've never worn one before), and a cummerbund! I still need a fancy waistcoat though.

My old suit was good enough for Fred Olsen, but now we're going upmarket to P&O only the smartest will do. (Of course the fact I'll also be meeting many of you posh people on Azura has absolutely nothing to do with it!) ;)

• Guy, Ormskirk
    replied
    Originally posted by Dave, Whitstable View Post
    Today I bought a waistcoat and a proper bow tie - a pre-tied bow tie came with the dress-shirt. Fred is currently learning how to tie the tie; she's watching loads of videos and has almost got the hang of it! Next she'll have to practise tying it on me... ;).
    Crikey! I knew you were a Fred Olsen fan but I didn't realise you were married to himCarol

Leave a comment:

• Dave, Whitstable
    replied
    Plunge update

Today I bought a waistcoat and a proper bow tie - a pre-tied bow tie came with the dress-shirt. Fred is currently learning how to tie the tie; she's watching loads of videos and has almost got the hang of it! Next she'll have to practise tying it on me... ;).

Leave a comment:

• Malcolm, Essex
    replied
    Dave, I think you should change your picture to one of you wearing the Tux.;)

Leave a comment:

• Jocap, Cumbria
    replied
    Huh! No invite for us....but the hairdresser called round with a bundle of our mail, grumbling about the stand-in postie......I did nip back in there and begged her to check, but no luck!-Jo.

Leave a comment:

• Issyalex, Glasgow
    replied
    yipee, invitation came this morning :D
    on the RSVP letter it states name decorations, I guess that doesn't mean letters after my name.............cos I have a few!!!!!!! and I don't mean the ones that hubbie calls me!!! :D
    Alex is too young to have been in WW1 and WW2 and to much of a coward to have joined up for the other conflicts!! so no medals there oh I have tap, jazz and Scottish highland dancing medals do they count? lol

Leave a comment:

• Issyalex, Glasgow
    replied
    Originally posted by Guy, Ormskirk View Post
    Issyalex that is why they invented wraps and pashminas You could always get a gold one which would look lovely with cream..Carol
    thanks Carol. didn't think of that but I don't have a wrap but will look for one unless I look for another dress that fits to save me dieting. ;) I've still got to talk Alex into the 'black tie' thing. he has just told me that he has two black ties a funeral one and a black one with black sparkly bits. I think I've got my work cut out with him eh. he usually wears a suit. I like the kilt or a white dinner jacket.
    getting all excited now.
    Last edited by Issyalex, Glasgow; 14th January 2010, 02:13 PM.

Leave a comment:

• Cooke, Ashby
    replied
    Originally posted by Lizzie, Lymington View Post
    Yes, but hopefully the humiliation will stay with Roger Day, for ever! He was trying to impress his 4th wife apparently, well that didn't work did it!

How anyone can 'buy', 'borrow', 'steal' medals is just beyond me, it is such a huge insult to those who earned them rightfully, just appalling.

Lizzie
    If he's lied to her about his military service, what else has he lied about?

Leave a comment:

• Guy, Ormskirk
    replied
    Issyalex that is why they invented wraps and pashminas You could always get a gold one which would look lovely with cream..Carol

Leave a comment:

• Issyalex, Glasgow
    replied
    haven't received mine yet mayby tomorrow. but black tie......... how do I tell Alex. will I have to wear a long dress? the only one I have is cream and it's a wee bit tight :o I don't do diets very well.

Leave a comment:

• Dave, Whitstable
    replied
    Originally posted by Malcolm Oliver, Essex View Post
    "Respect"!

(Many ships dining rooms are too hot for waistecoats as well, in my opinion. ;))

Leave a comment:

• Malcolm, Essex
    replied
    Originally posted by Dave, Whitstable View Post
    ...today I finally took the plunge and went the whole hog. I bought a proper dinner outfit.
    "Respect"!

Leave a comment:

• Lizzie, Lymington
    replied
    Yes, but hopefully the humiliation will stay with Roger Day, for ever! He was trying to impress his 4th wife apparently, well that didn't work did it!

How anyone can 'buy', 'borrow', 'steal' medals is just beyond me, it is such a huge insult to those who earned them rightfully, just appalling.

Lizzie
    Last edited by Lizzie, Lymington; 13th January 2010, 09:57 PM. Reason: Added the guys name

Leave a comment:

• spartan, kent
    replied
    Originally posted by Brian, Swinton View Post
    Think I will have to scout around the second hand shops. buy a few,Hummm wonder if people actually do that
    Yes there was a guy on the Remembrance Day parade with lots of gongs. Roger Day he was taken to court but only got 60 hours community service

Leave a comment:

• spartan, kent
    replied
    Originally posted by Guy, Ormskirk View Post
    I thought we were going to make badges with our avatars in them, do they count as decorations?..Carol
    Sounds good to me

Leave a comment:

We use cookies to give you the
best experience possible.

By continuing to use our website you
agree to our cookie policy

Working...
X